Author Topic: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015  (Read 34207 times)

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:28 AM »
Just saw this on Twitter and I know some people plan their Saturday around this but it looks like Marvel might not be a sdcc this year, hopefully Marvel will show up.
  @Crazy4ComicCon: James Gunn on FB about Marvel and Comic-Con... It was as if a million nerds cried out in anguish...
#SDCC You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

eta admin modified to remove question mark in title
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:00:06 PM by alyssa »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
Re: James Gunn on Marvel at SDCC
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:22:48 AM »
Wow! Totally shocked. I imagine there are a lot of disappointed fans.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:15:13 AM »

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:32:33 AM »
I'm thinking that he was just being sarcastic but you never know. The Marvel universe is getting bigger so I would think they would be at sdcc unless they holding back for D23.

Offline ironmima

• Exhibit Hall
  • I am gold-titanium alloy.
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:29:00 AM »
Wasn't this somehow expected though? I do remember reading some time ago that Marvel wanted to leave SDCC, especially after the Disney buy-out. Their Phase 3 event last October could have been a sort of experiment of sorts, and since it was successful, they will most likely have an independent event, or be fully incorporated into the D23 Expo.

With that being said, while I am somewhat sad, I am grateful to be able to experience more of SDCC 2015 without the chaos of Marvel on Saturday. I will miss Marvel TV though!

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 75
Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 02:50:18 AM »
In a recent FB post, "Guardians of the Galaxy" director James Gunn said that Marvel wouldn't be going to SDCC.

I doubt this means Marvel Comics - can't imagine an SDCC without them having a presence at the con. I also doubt this means no presence for Marvel Studios related stuff at the main Marvel booth. I'm assuming this is limited to a "no Hall H" level of appearance.

But... the story broke online a few hours ago, it'll be interesting to see how quickly Marvel does damage control / clarification.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 03:01:33 AM »
It looks like two people had the same idea and may have potentially crossed into The Outer Limits!  (They were on the same brain wave!)

I'll merge this newer, duplicate thread with the slightly more established one.  For the merged thread, I'll retain this thread's title (Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015?")  I'll also move this thread from "General Discussion" to "Programming, Panels, and Lines."

^__^d

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In a recent FB post, "Guardians of the Galaxy" director James Gunn said that Marvel wouldn't be going to SDCC.

I doubt this means Marvel Comics - can't imagine an SDCC without them having a presence at the con. I also doubt this means no presence for Marvel Studios related stuff at the main Marvel booth. I'm assuming this is limited to a "no Hall H" level of appearance.

But... the story broke online a few hours ago, it'll be interesting to see how quickly Marvel does damage control / clarification.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:04:59 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:18:12 AM »
It's a D23 year. So, it wouldn't be a HUGE shock but IMO, those two shows are so different. But then again, they have announced all their movies. I guess they could announce some casting news and show footage like always.

And I'm sure Marvel comics will be there. Even when Marvel doesn't do MCU panels/booth, they still bring comic guests.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:44:37 AM »
I'm gonna be one of the guys that thinks that there will be a panel, even given what's been said by Mr. Gunn.  Agents of Shield, how well the Peggy Carter mini-series went, and then Ant-Man is being released the week after, I really can't see Marvel totally skipping the standard Saturday.  If they did, it would give a *huge* amount of traction to the upcoming DC Cinematic Universe (DCCU?) so I can't see Marvel letting that happen.  Add the Netflix series and there's really a ton of stuff.  Now whether they do all that in H or 20 or somewhere else...dunno...

(Note that the above is not an invitation to cause a whole Marvel v. DC war here).
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:02:24 AM »
Marvel can bring their TV shows without bringing their movies. You can do one without the other.  And with Netflix, it would depend on when the next series is out. Since they release all the episodes at once, it's not like they can tease something unless the new series isn't out yet.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:43 AM »
I know I'll be very disappointed if they don't do a Hall H panel and it definitely could change a bit in my planning if it's true. I would not be completely surprised if they skip but I would have thought if they were going to test it out it would be 2013 when things were already a proven success instead of going as large as they did. Especially as I just would think they would want to introduce the more chance-y upcoming movies in their timeline, even just briefly, to the SDCC audience rather than elsewhere at least once.

Of course, they're bringing Star Wars to D23 this year I imagine so maybe they're hoping that combined it will be a big enough draw.

I am hoping he meant it as a joke/sarcastically though I have to think he would know how things read in writing, especially on the internet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:18:11 AM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 07:25:41 AM »
Of course, if they don't have Marvel in Hall H on Saturday, that would leave room for Star Wars....  >:D

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »
Of course, if they don't have Marvel in Hall H on Saturday, that would leave room for Star Wars....  >:D

Except for Celebration happening this year. :\

Also, still expect a booth since Agent M has said he'll be there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:45:53 AM by YouThinkMeMad »

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »

Still hoping for the best....
With the marvel news it's really discouraging

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
Bad news for non-hall H ppl too!   There could be 1000s less ppl queued for hall h, therefore adding congestion elsewhere.

He could very well be messing with everyone too. I am betting on that for now.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
Bad news for non-hall H ppl too!   There could be 1000s less ppl queued for hall h, therefore adding congestion elsewhere.

He could very well be messing with everyone too. I am betting on that for now.

He's said that he's never lied to the fans.

Poor Agent M. His inboxes are probably blowing up.