Author Topic: Horton Grand Theatre Ticketing Process?  (Read 11258 times)

Offline GallifreyGal

• Room 6BCF
  • We're having soft tacos later!
  • Liked: 58
Horton Grand Theatre Ticketing Process?
« on: June 26, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
There are a couple of Horton Theatre panels on the schedule that I'd really like to attend. CCI's webpage says that tickets will be distributed for the day's panels at 9am in Sails. Does anyone have any advice on how the ticketing process works? I know I'll need to get in the "everything that isn't Hall H" line but once everyone splits off to Ballroom 20 or the exhibit hall, how busy will Sails be with the autograph lotteries also going on? Will I need to stick around overnight or can I get there early in the morning?
"You know how it is. You put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later." - The Doctor

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 115
Re: Horton Grand Theatre Ticketing Process?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
I have the same question. I've never done anything with tickets in the Sails.

Can someone explain when and how the "Everything" line gets split up, and what the Sails is like in the morning?
Like are you just let into the convention center and have to find your way to Sails yourself? And once you get there I assume you just find the ticket drawing (booth/tent/table?) you are looking for and line up there, right?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:04:41 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:31:29 PM »
We did one of the Horton Grand panels last year. We got in line as the Everything Else line was moving inside, and joined a small holding area across from B20. It was mostly full when we got there, and then they started sending people outside to line up. The line was for all CCI run drawings that day, including Horton Grand panels and CCI-run autographs. But they couldn't hold the drawings until the other ones were done in the Sails... and that took forever. Our drawing wasn't until 10 am, even though they said it would be at 9 am.

Once they finished giving out panel tickets (seats pre-assigned, 2 tickets given out per winning draw) they gave out standby tickets. At our panel, not everyone with tickets showed up, and they let in all of the standby.

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:36:59 PM »
I just found this guide from the sdccblog last year: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Very helpful!

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 02:24:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sddcblog's  last map on the page a good overview

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Just saw the Bablyon 5 Reunion panel will be on Saturday.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:26:58 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline clraero

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:35 PM »
Yeah I'm definitely trying for Babylon 5 on Saturday! Just to clarify - are the Horton Grand ticket drawings exactly like the autographs drawings in Sails (i.e. I draw a ticket out of a bowl & hope I pick a winning one)? Or are they a lottery drawing where you give your name and then they draw winners from out of a bowl? The description on the CCI website makes it sound like the latter, but from some people's accounts it's possibly the former - and it will definitely impact the time I show up!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
Yeah I'm definitely trying for Babylon 5 on Saturday! Just to clarify - are the Horton Grand ticket drawings exactly like the autographs drawings in Sails (i.e. I draw a ticket out of a bowl & hope I pick a winning one)? Or are they a lottery drawing where you give your name and then they draw winners from out of a bowl? The description on the CCI website makes it sound like the latter, but from some people's accounts it's possibly the former - and it will definitely impact the time I show up!

It's draw a slip and if it is a winner you get tickets to the panel/autographing session right then and there.

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
We did one of the Horton Grand panels last year. We got in line as the Everything Else line was moving inside, and joined a small holding area across from B20. It was mostly full when we got there, and then they started sending people outside to line up. The line was for all CCI run drawings that day, including Horton Grand panels and CCI-run autographs. But they couldn't hold the drawings until the other ones were done in the Sails... and that took forever. Our drawing wasn't until 10 am, even though they said it would be at 9 am.

Once they finished giving out panel tickets (seats pre-assigned, 2 tickets given out per winning draw) they gave out standby tickets. At our panel, not everyone with tickets showed up, and they let in all of the standby.
So after they let people in the Everything Else line inside, you had to wait in two separate lines? The first line was to wait for the the big drawings (Fox, WB, etc.) to finish? And only after that were you allowed to wait in the actual line for what you wanted (Horton Grand panels)?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
So after they let people in the Everything Else line inside, you had to wait in two separate lines? The first line was to wait for the the big drawings (Fox, WB, etc.) to finish? And only after that were you allowed to wait in the actual line for what you wanted (Horton Grand panels)?

Sort of. You have one line outside B20, then you split up to immediately when they let you in to the individual drawings. So yeah, that's another 'line', but not very long.

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:47 AM »
Sort of. You have one line outside B20, then you split up to immediately when they let you in to the individual drawings. So yeah, that's another 'line', but not very long.
Gotcha. What happens if you don't draw a winning ticket? Do you go to the end of the individual drawing line, or to the end of the line outside B20?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 08:10:59 AM »
Gotcha. What happens if you don't draw a winning ticket? Do you go to the end of the individual drawing line, or to the end of the line outside B20?

You get to go around, rejoin the line, and try again. If you were toward the front of the line when the drawing began, then you might get a standby seat going around the second time. That's what happened to our group.

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »
You get to go around, rejoin the line, and try again. If you were toward the front of the line when the drawing began, then you might get a standby seat going around the second time. That's what happened to our group.
Which line do you rejoin when going around again? The one for the individual drawing that formed after everyone split up, or the massive line outside B20 before everyone split up? I'm actually considering doing a limited autograph, not a Horton Grand panel, so unfortunately they wouldn't do standbys for that (or rather, I don't see why they would).

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »
Which line do you rejoin when going around again? The one for the individual drawing that formed after everyone split up, or the massive line outside B20 before everyone split up? I'm actually considering doing a limited autograph, not a Horton Grand panel, so unfortunately they wouldn't do standbys for that (or rather, I don't see why they would).

The new, split up line.

Conversely, if you're toward the front of the line and you get a winning draw, then you can jump in a different line to draw for something else.

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 01:37:34 AM »
The new, split up line.

Conversely, if you're toward the front of the line and you get a winning draw, then you can jump in a different line to draw for something else.
Oh, that's good to hear. It would be awful if people had to go to the very, very end of the original line where everyone hadn't yet split up. Thanks again, Transmute Jun.

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of whether or not I even want to try for a limited autograph. I'm not big on camping out in the humid San Diego weather, let alone camping out for something that isn't even guaranteed. But the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities...! Ah, decisions, decisions.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 04:39:31 AM »
Yeah I'm definitely trying for Babylon 5 on Saturday!

i am also strongly considering trying for tix for this event on Sat.....
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5