Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Pro Registration  (Read 37708 times)

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
Re: SDCC 2020 Pro Registration
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2019, 03:01:06 AM »
Reportedly CCI will still guarantee the Pro a badge, but each Pro will have an allotment for free or paid guests. Their allotments assume that some % of eligibles do not register, based on past years, plus a pad. In the past they never ran out of badges for Pros or paid Pro guests, but they've had to have a lottery for free badges for Creative Pro Guests. Starting last year they allocated guest passes and guaranteed availability for the pro and allocated number of paid or free guests.

CCI posted an information page on changes for 2019. That page has been removed since March of this year, but I found it on the Internet Archive. They may be fiddling with the process for 2020, but the only thing "new" is an increased availability for teachers, and they don't tell you if you're a Creative or Trade pro; you figure it out from your allotment. Here's what they posted previously:

New for Comic-Con 2019!  All NOT DUE professionals will receive guaranteed allotments and pricing for their professional badge and guest badge(s). You do not need to rush to the professional registration website when it opens! Guest badges will not be allocated on a first come, first served basis. You will receive an email notification to the address associated with your Comic-Con Member ID account when badge registration opens. At this time, you may log in to your Member ID account and select the “Professionals” tab for your personalized allotment. Your personal allotment of guest badges is guaranteed for the duration of badge registration.

I'm on the "re-up" list. I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who was Not Due or already got their acceptance email on whether any of this shows up on the UserID page.

Offline weemiji

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I contacted CCI about this and they said it's something they always include in case of extreme circumstances. The system isn't changing drastically from last year. :)

That's really good to know, thanks!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 05:16:29 AM »

Offline cavastings

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
Reportedly CCI will still guarantee the Pro a badge, but each Pro will have an allotment for free or paid guests. Their allotments assume that some % of eligibles do not register, based on past years, plus a pad. In the past they never ran out of badges for Pros or paid Pro guests, but they've had to have a lottery for free badges for Creative Pro Guests. Starting last year they allocated guest passes and guaranteed availability for the pro and allocated number of paid or free guests.

CCI posted an information page on changes for 2019. That page has been removed since March of this year, but I found it on the Internet Archive. They may be fiddling with the process for 2020, but the only thing "new" is an increased availability for teachers, and they don't tell you if you're a Creative or Trade pro; you figure it out from your allotment. Here's what they posted previously:

New for Comic-Con 2019!  All NOT DUE professionals will receive guaranteed allotments and pricing for their professional badge and guest badge(s). You do not need to rush to the professional registration website when it opens! Guest badges will not be allocated on a first come, first served basis. You will receive an email notification to the address associated with your Comic-Con Member ID account when badge registration opens. At this time, you may log in to your Member ID account and select the “Professionals” tab for your personalized allotment. Your personal allotment of guest badges is guaranteed for the duration of badge registration.

I'm on the "re-up" list. I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who was Not Due or already got their acceptance email on whether any of this shows up on the UserID page.
I am "Not Due" this year, and all that shows up is "No action is required from you at this time. We will notify you via email when online professional badge registration opens at a later date. We strongly recommend that you confirm that you are opted in to receiving emails from Comic-Con via the "My Account" tab. If the "Email" opt-out is checked, you will not receive emails regarding badge registration. For more information, please visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline spoox

• Exhibit Hall
  • Alaska, The Real Hoth!
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
7/13 and still nothing..  ??? ??? ???

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2019, 04:00:09 AM »

The delay does hint that they may be testing new rules. Of course, they don't have 20 people managing the process, and if the main 'worker' left or was pulled over to help with Returning, it takes a while for anybody doing it for the first time to learn the ropes. There shouldn't be all that much rush to get it finished before most people have to start making reservations, but obviously it's taking longer than they thought it would.

My current other speculation: They're reassessing the boundary between free and paid Pro and Guest. So many of us are on the boundary of what used to be designated Creative vs. Trade. Is an editor a publisher or an artist? There are low-output artists who don't do it for a living, but serve most often as promoters or historians. Lots of teachers may be on the same border. So it might not be the approval process that's taking so long, it's the allotments.

I don't have meetings with clients/customers/etc., and I said right in my application that my first reason for applying was the chance to guarantee a spot. Ten years ago it wasn't as tough to get badges in the lotteries.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »
FWIW the week before Returning Registration my wife asked a CCI associate that she works with when they'd conclude evaluating Pro submissions, and they essentially laughed and implied not anytime in the immediate future (to be fair she explicitly asked if that would conclude before Returning Registration).  She was told they don't have near the staff to efficiently evaluate all of the Pro submissions and therefor it will take a bit of time.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that as huge as WonderCon and (especially) SDCCI are as events, they behind-the-scenes operations are relatively smallish.  At least for me, knowing the process will take a bit of time lets me relax a little bit as I wait for that email in my inbox. I sent my application (as an arts teacher) on the last day, so at this rate I'm not sure I'm expecting to hear back before Thanksgiving but we'll see!  I was lucky to secure a 4-day badge during Returning Registration so at least my going to Comic-Con isn't 100% contingent on securing a Pro badge.

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2019, 04:58:47 AM »
Sometimes I have to remind myself that as huge as WonderCon and (especially) SDCCI are as events, they behind-the-scenes operations are relatively smallish.
That goes for a lot of outfits throughout the industry. Some of the Pro applicants could look at their own customers or organizations; the "team" for a subject might be one or two people part-time. CCI only has a small core staff and relies on part-time support during times of huge blips in support needs (like badge and hotel lotteries, and a month or so before the Con). I've worked with management groups for other Conventions who might take a long time to act on an issue because everybody's working on a more "time critical" event.

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2019, 06:03:24 PM »
I just got my approval. I sent my application in on July 27th.

Offline freedlvry

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
I sent mine in on July 24th and haven't received a response yet.   :(

Offline blackbird

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2019, 04:15:44 AM »
Adding to the datapoints:  Got my approval email October 23rd.  Application sent in on July 31st.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
Adding to the datapoints:  Got my approval email October 23rd.  Application sent in on July 31st.
So those of us Procrastinators who waited until day-of deadline to submit may be waiting until, like post-Thanksgiving.

OK; I do appreciate those of you who've heard back who have stated what date you submitted the app. in to help us better track

Offline jccun

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2019, 10:44:10 PM »
This may have already been posted in here, but what do you make of folks who submitted in the first couple days but still haven't gotten a response when there's folks hearing back way later? I submitted my on July 13th, and later folks have already heard back, so they obviously aren't going just based upon day of submission.

NOTE: This is my 3rd time re-applying and if anything I'd say my credentials have improved this time, including publishing a book, podcast, and new film projects.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:57:03 PM by jccun »

Offline freedlvry

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2019, 07:38:03 AM »
Have you emailed to ask about your submission yet? I did a couple of weeks ago and they just told me to wait. I'm thinking about emailing again since I now see all the people that submitted after me getting approvals

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2019, 01:41:27 PM »
This may have already been posted in here, but what do you make of folks who submitted in the first couple days but still haven't gotten a response when there's folks hearing back way later? I submitted my on July 13th, and later folks have already heard back, so they obviously aren't going just based upon day of submission.

NOTE: This is my 3rd time re-applying and if anything I'd say my credentials have improved this time, including publishing a book, podcast, and new film projects.

100% spit-balling here...

I wonder if it has more to do with going through via submission date & approving the most obvious first (and also rejecting the most obvious).  Then they'll go back to the "plausible" pile if/when the "allotment" of Pro badges hasn't been 100% fulfilled.

Like, say, Kevin Feige is obviously a Pro, while a PA on a no-budget indie movie is a "maybe" and someone who submitted pictures of a colored-in drawing up for sale on Etsy is a "no"

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »

I purposely did mine on the last day to submit. I haven't received my results yet. You are still good.