Author Topic: WEATHERING WITH YOU ***SPOILERS***  (Read 3098 times)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
WEATHERING WITH YOU ***SPOILERS***
« on: January 21, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
Oh my!  Just saw my very first anime movie on a big screen-- Weathering With You.  I think I am hooked on a new genre!  Makato Shinkai has crafted a magical, emotional journey, and I was happy to go along for the ride.

My understanding is that so far, it has outperformed the hit- Your Name,  by the same creator.

What did I enjoy most?  The animation had such depth, blending reality with fantasy.  Shinkai gradually unfolded his tale of two teenagers who find each other, and while they create happiness for themselves and others---there are dire results, too.

I want everyone to go see this, so I hesitate to give too much away,  but the trailers, show a lot, so I am not too worried there.

The transparent fish that are shown near the beginning and later, more fully, were luscious.

Another thing I liked is that Shinkai left much of the between story and background to our own imaginations.  This has led to fun discussions, and new paths to explore.

The soundtrack is uplifting and has been in my head since.

Reportedly there are cameos from some of the characters from Your Name.

Now I will have to plan for some anime experiences myself this year, and hope someone connected with this movie will be there, too. :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:03:06 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
Re: WEATHERING WITH YOU ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 07:58:03 AM »
I'm planning on seeing this movie this morning!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:28:58 PM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »
Have a super time, and please come back and let me know your thoughts. :)

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 09:59:52 PM »
I loved the movie!

I cannot express more than what you have already said about the film.  Not the same kind of drama as in 'Your Name', but still very enjoyable!  It has been years since I last saw 'Your name', so I didn't think to look for cameos from that movie.  Hopefully somebody will post here.

My only regret is that there was a couple in the same row as I who kept talking during the feature.  Sigh.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I loved the movie!

I cannot express more than what you have already said about the film.  Not the same kind of drama as in 'Your Name', but still very enjoyable!  It has been years since I last saw 'Your name', so I didn't think to look for cameos from that movie.  Hopefully somebody will post here.

My only regret is that there was a couple in the same row as I who kept talking during the feature.  Sigh.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Happy to hear you really enjoyed Weathering With You. If you hear about anything happening at SDCC around the movie, please share. I am keeping my eyes open, too and will share.  Also...Wow....We had a chatty couple of folk next to us, too! Very distracting from time to time. As Jar Jar would say, "How rude!"

May go to see it again. :)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
Okay, I plan to go and see this again tomorrow before it disappears. 

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:20:29 PM »
Went this morning to see Weathering With You again...and got some nice surprises.  They showed the Fathom events fan special with an interview with the director after the movie, and we got the special poster, too. The poster was on really nice, thick paper. And, we paid only $5 for the early show! We liked the poster so much, we went straight to get it framed, at 50% off, and the framer gave us archival matte glass for free, as the one we selected first was defective. It was a lovely morning shared with my grandson, who introduced me to the work of this director! :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:42:25 PM by marcia29 »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
Saw this at Anime NYC and it was an unbelievable experience. There were 3000+ of us and being in such a reactive audience really made the film come alive. I had a press pass so my seat was AMAZING and everyone was crying. It's such a good movie and I'm angry that the Academy ignored it.

It has been years since I last saw 'Your name', so I didn't think to look for cameos from that movie.  Hopefully somebody will post here.

The old woman they help is Taki's grandmother (he shows up while they're there), and later when they're in a shop, Mitsuha is their cashier.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 02:55:36 PM »
Thanks for the cameo info. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   That screening sounds like sooooo much fun. I have read the movie may be getting a wider US release due to its strong opening here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 07:45:35 AM »
Thanks for the cameo info. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   That screening sounds like sooooo much fun. I have read the movie may be getting a wider US release due to its strong opening here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes!  I've noticed that the English Sub version is still playing in Orange County, Calif this week.   ;D