Author Topic: NYCC Oct 7-10, 2021  (Read 35826 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: NYCC Oct 7-10, 2021
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2021, 11:48:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anybody else thinks it's a lil weird that there are still tickets left for this? While Saturday is sold out it looks like Thursday, Friday and Sunday are still available. Odd considering that they said that they'd scale back the attendee numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting...

I'm going to say something that's not popular.

I think part of the reason may be their change in attendance requirements, which they didn't inform everyone of until after the sale.  Requiring people to be vaccinated AND requiring people to wear masks inside.  I've said it before.  I don't understand why everyone has to wear a mask inside if you're requiring everyone to be vaccinated.  Just my opinion.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Ultron32

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2021, 11:58:03 AM »
Interesting...

I'm going to say something that's not popular.

I think part of the reason may be their change in attendance requirements, which they didn't inform everyone of until after the sale.  Requiring people to be vaccinated AND requiring people to wear masks inside.  I've said it before.  I don't understand why everyone has to wear a mask inside if you're requiring everyone to be vaccinated.  Just my opinion.

Vaccinated folks can still catch and spread the virus, especially the delta variant based on what I've read, even if the symptoms are far less likely to be severe. Personally I feel pretty safe around vaccinated folks without masks, but given the sheer number of people in one building I don't blame them one bit for taking every precaution in preventing spread.

I think you're probably right that some folks decided against taking the trip after that change though. There's also probably folks on the other end of the spectrum, for whom no amount of precautions would make them feel safe in a convention right now. I'm not surprised if they're having trouble selling out this year (especially with so few guests and panels announced, this close to the show!).
NYCC 2009-2021

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #242 on: Today at 02:22:12 AM »

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »
First, with the delta variant, vaccinated people can carry as much of a viral load in their upper respiratory tracts as unvaccinated people.  You’re less likely to have serious effects from the illness, but vaccinated people are just as contagious as unvaccinated people if they get it.  This was not the case with earlier strains, and it’s why CDC reversed its position on indoor masking.

Second, there are other reasons why tickets are still available.  Big reason #1 — they were recently able to add capacity.  That’s why they were able to sell to the general public when they initially said they wouldn’t.  Second, let’s face it, the guest list and panel list IS lacking compared to this point in recent years.  There’s been a lot of complaining in social media about, saying that it’s not worth having and they should cancel.  Third, the vendors that canceled — people think without Funko it’s not worth going (even Funko only started going in 2015 or 2016).  Finally — Thursday badges basically never sell out.  I was more surprised when they sold out in the original sale.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2021, 01:46:46 PM »
I don't think these were refunded badges, they increased capacity to the convention.  It sold out, they saw a demand and decided they could sell more badges. 

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2021, 10:42:42 PM »
Second, there are other reasons why tickets are still available.  Big reason #1 — they were recently able to add capacity.  That’s why they were able to sell to the general public when they initially said they wouldn’t.  Second, let’s face it, the guest list and panel list IS lacking compared to this point in recent years.  There’s been a lot of complaining in social media about, saying that it’s not worth having and they should cancel.  Third, the vendors that canceled — people think without Funko it’s not worth going (even Funko only started going in 2015 or 2016).  Finally — Thursday badges basically never sell out.  I was more surprised when they sold out in the original sale.
Serious question...

Where or how did you find out they added capacity?
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2021, 03:28:27 AM »
Same to the above question: I didn't see any notification via the NYCC social media options that they were able to increase capacity. That doesn't mean I totally missed it (highly possible) but would love to know when they said that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2021, 08:46:41 AM »
I’m having a hard time finding it, but it was a reply to someone complaining about how tickets were available to purchase now after they had purchased through Lyte I think.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2021, 12:43:12 PM »
I’m having a hard time finding it, but it was a reply to someone complaining about how tickets were available to purchase now after they had purchased through Lyte I think.

I read it also, I am too lazy to search back. 

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #248 on: September 12, 2021, 12:57:19 PM »
I found it.  It was a reply to a comment on their FB post from Aug 31.

Brian Fein We received updated capacity numbers at the end of last week! We can assure you everyone’s safety is still our top priority. Even with this increase in capacity, we are still selling fewer badges than we did in 2019.

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
Midtown Comics won't be at NYCC this year:

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2021, 09:43:38 AM »
Midtown Comics won't be at NYCC this year:

WOW, that's disheartening
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2021, 09:49:22 AM »

Amazon Prime is in though with Wheel of Time and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 's show the expanse
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2021, 10:56:18 AM »

Amazon Prime is in though with Wheel of Time and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 's show the expanse

Okay I am confused

1. Does virtual mean we go into the room and watch a screen of a zoom panel?
2. Not all the pictures say virtual but the NYCC website says they are all virtual, are they?

-https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en-us/explore/panels/panels-and-screenings.html?utm_source=cmv3-attendee-prospect&utm_campaign=NYCC-Panels-Sneak-Peek-10-07-2021&utm_medium=social&utm_term=NPSP

Don't worry You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I don't expect you to answer.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2021, 12:05:19 PM »
I 100% expect any larger names on panels to be virtual. 

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #254 on: September 13, 2021, 12:32:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I'm almost reading it that way but like you say not all panels say that and there is discrepancies like you noted. I assume with the superfan and virtual pass all panels can be seen virtually so it almost seems like they are setting themselves up to say that that panel you go into the main stage to watch the panel on zoom.

I don't know if every large panel would be like that, if they did then there will be some serious complaints and maybe some real consequences to them doing that
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged