Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127962 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 830
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1260 on: August 03, 2021, 09:30:06 PM »
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is now targeting early September to grant full approval of the Pfizer vaccine.  Currently they only have emergency approval.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1261 on: August 04, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is now targeting early September to grant full approval of the Pfizer vaccine.  Currently they only have emergency approval.

It's looking like September is the month for Americans to start getting a third dose.  The stars are lining up.  That's also when the WHO moratorium on boosters ends.  I think I heard a director of some US health agency say yesterday on the BBC that September is when things will get going.  Regardless, once the vaccine has full FDA approval then nothing stops anyone from getting a third dose.  Any doctor can write a script for it at that point.

Speaking of boosters.  San Francisco announced that it is "accommodating" a dose of BioNTech or Moderna for people who got the J&J vaccine.  Which is something that people have been doing for sometime now.  Some high profile doctors have been recommending it and even Fauci acknowledged it was happening.  This just formalizes it.  There's nothing wrong with the J&J vaccine.  I don't discriminate between the various vaccines. They may take different routes to get there but they all do the same thing in the end, introduce the spike protein.  The difference is 1 or 2 doses.  The evidence is clear that 2 doses is much better than 1.  For delta, it's a necessity.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:20:21 PM by chocolateshake »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1262 on: Today at 07:12:16 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1262 on: August 05, 2021, 10:00:27 AM »
Here's an interesting update in the local paper this week: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
San Diego Zoo races to vaccinate lions, tigers and other vulnerable species as COVID surges

This is interesting in a couple of different ways:
1) COVID is a problem not just for humans, but animals as well.  In Jan. SD Zoo & Safari Park had gorillas get COVID, now tigers & snow leopards are getting sick
2) SD Zoo officials think they animals got infected by human employees who were asymptomatic, meaning humans can not only infect each other w/COVID but also animals
3) this feels kinda odd in a sense that we're racing to vaccinate zoo animals when there are so many countries still woefully unable to get vaccination for their human residents (I know we're talking about the US, as well as endangered species SD Zoo is trying to protect - still seems kinda odd, though)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #1263 on: August 05, 2021, 10:04:57 AM »
I know someone that got a call to schedule his booster. Now it may be because he's a senior and/or because he's well known. Either way, very interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1264 on: August 05, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »
Here's an interesting update in the local paper this week: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is interesting in a couple of different ways:
1) COVID is a problem not just for humans, but animals as well.  In Jan. SD Zoo & Safari Park had gorillas get COVID, now tigers & snow leopards are getting sick
2) SD Zoo officials think they animals got infected by human employees who were asymptomatic, meaning humans can not only infect each other w/COVID but also animals
3) this feels kinda odd in a sense that we're racing to vaccinate zoo animals when there are so many countries still woefully unable to get vaccination for their human residents (I know we're talking about the US, as well as endangered species SD Zoo is trying to protect - still seems kinda odd, though)

It does seem odd - and it's definitely still sort of a first-world privilege thing that we're able to vaccinate these animals - but the shots they're getting are totally separate (like, not even development/manufacturing overlap) from the human vaccines, so I'm glad we can do it.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1265 on: August 05, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »
I know someone that got a call to schedule his booster. Now it may be because he's a senior and/or because he's well known. Either way, very interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Did he get J&J or is he immunocompromised?  Merely being old makes someone immunocompromised but generally it's someone like a cancer patient that gets the call for a booster.  The thing is certain people have been getting additional doses all along, 3 in total if they got Pfizer or Moderna or 2 if they got J&J.  Immunocompromised people need them since they don't have enough of a response from a normal dose.  The CDC/FDA knows this.  Which is why that quick and very public rebuke of Pfizer suggesting a third dose was strange.  The CDC/FDA continue with poor messaging.  Since when the booster is recommended I can guarantee there will be plenty of people that will refer back to that statement and say "But you told us we don't need a booster!"

On the bright side today, Moderna had it's earnings and it contained some encouraging news about it's vaccine.

"Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine mRNA-1273: Final blinded analysis of Phase 3 COVE study shows 93% efficacy; Efficacy remains durable through six months after second dose ​ "

They don't specify whether that's against infection or severe illness and death, but considering that is the original ongoing study then it's probably against severe illness and death.  That was the criteria for those studies.  Something else they didn't mention is which variants.  Considering the age of that data, I doubt it includes delta.

Update, the president of Moderna was seemingly on every news program yesterday saying that Moderna believes a third dose would be a good idea before winter.  He did confirm that their results don't include data for the delta variant.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:15:55 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1266 on: August 06, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
It does seem odd - and it's definitely still sort of a first-world privilege thing that we're able to vaccinate these animals - but the shots they're getting are totally separate (like, not even development/manufacturing overlap) from the human vaccines, so I'm glad we can do it.

It's definitely very cool that scientists are looking out for the animals too

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1267 on: August 06, 2021, 12:24:58 PM »
It's definitely very cool that scientists are looking out for the animals too

It is.  But the motivation is to look out for us.  These animal vaccines are developed for livestock.  Since if livestock gets sick then chances are they will make us sick.  17 million mink were destroyed since there were coronavirus outbreaks in their population.  The mink variant did make the jump from mink back to humans.  Vaccine donations to zoos is just an act of good will by the manufacturer.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #1268 on: August 08, 2021, 09:26:41 PM »
I’m back to double-masking.  I just got a supply of the white KN95 masks, as well as the blue hospital surgeons’ masks.
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1269 on: August 09, 2021, 03:29:06 AM »
I’m back to double-masking.  I just got a supply of the white KN95 masks, as well as the blue hospital surgeons’ masks.

Yeah, the new statistics are disheartening.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1270 on: August 09, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »
Yeah, the new statistics are disheartening.

They are.  Here in San Diego, Thursday numbers are still high but what's more terrible is that the numbers are high every day now.  Before the Thursday number was twice what any other day was.  Now it's only a little bit higher.  San Diego has moved from twice a week covid reports back to daily on weekdays and now back to daily every day including the weekends.  As a country as a whole, I think we stand a good chance of having a new peak number of daily infections.

Fauci did the tour of Sunday news programs yesterday.  He said a couple of interesting things.  He acknowledged that the US policy of not tracking no or mild symptom breakthrough infections was problematic.  Because of that we didn't have the data to see that the infection rate among the fully vaccinated was higher than theorized and that the fully vaccinated can be infectious.  What other countries were able to see because they did test for and track asymptomatic infections among the vaccinated.  If we had our own data or believed other countries, I don't think we would have dropped the mask mandate.  Which I think is the strategic blunder of the covid campaign so far this year.

Fauci also talked about boosters.  He pretty much said that it's not if, it's when.  He reiterated that they will wait until there solid data that it's a problem.  Which IMO is like your neighbor on the next street over suggesting that you hose down your roof because her house burned down because of a wildfire.  Then you responding that you'll wait until your house catches fire.  At least the government didn't "slap down" Moderna like it did Pfizer a few weeks earlier for daring to suggest a third dose.

Remember to wear your mask in a public place even if there's no one in the immediate area.  Where they do contact trace, they have found fleeting infections.  Forget that 15 minute rule that we were touting.  They have found people getting infected just by walking by one another.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:51:25 AM by chocolateshake »

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #1271 on: August 09, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »
Moderna got provisional approval in Australia.  On Wall Street, their stock jumped 15%.

D23 Expo 2017

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1272 on: August 09, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
Moderna got provisional approval in Australia.  On Wall Street, their stock jumped 15%.

And among 12-17 year olds in Switzerland.  But considering that all covid vaccine stocks are up big today, I think the pop is more about Fauci talking boosters yesterday.  Both Australia and Switzerland are tiny markets.  If the US goes for a third dose, it's more than just the US market since much of the world will follow.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1273 on: August 09, 2021, 12:33:49 PM »
And among 12-17 year olds in Switzerland.  But considering that all covid vaccine stocks are up big today, I think the pop is more about Fauci talking boosters yesterday. Both Australia and Switzerland are tiny markets.  If the US goes for a third dose, it's more than just the US market since much of the world will follow.
Fauci talking boosters + word in the press that full FDA approval of the vaccines (not just the current "emergency approval" we have now).  Full approval means more business can require employees, and school districts can require students to get vaccinated.  I work in education, and talking internally w/in our district recently we are currently NOT being required to get vaccinated; however, once FDA approval is granted on a 'regular'/non-emergency-only basis the district was looking at requiring both staff & appropriate-aged students to become vaccinated.  Obviously in CA many state and local government agencies are already requiring vaccination, so I suspect it's only a matter of time before school employees are required (students are trickier, currently, since HS students could easily be required, but below 7th grade the age-range gets murky).  As a HS band teacher I of course would be _ELATED_ for ALL people on campus to be vaccinated, so IMO the sooner/the better!

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #1274 on: August 09, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
Moderna says boosters will be needed about six to eight months after the second dose.

D23 Expo 2017