Author Topic: So let's talk Marvel Cinematic Universe...  (Read 8032 times)

angel_k

So let's talk Marvel Cinematic Universe...
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:03:35 AM »
I've seen chatter across the forum regarding Marvel's presence and now the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer has been released and, well, it's time we start speculating for serious.

Nothing official, but chances are probably pretty good that that Marvel panel will be on Saturday.  It's the big day in the big hall and this is the big thing.  Makes sense.  Since I'll be doing Hall H both Friday and Sunday I doubt I'll actually try for this, but I'm still super interested in how they're going to do this.  There are three huge movies coming out in the very near future.  Guardians comes out just one week after comic con, then Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man the following year.  Will they smash all three films into one big panel?  Two of these films are largely ensemble casts.  That's hella people to cram on one stage in one hour.  This panel is going to be madness if they do that.  Unless they split it up into multiple panels, which would make sense considering how much is coming out in the next year and a half.  Not sure Comic Con has the time to give them two panels (or even more), but I think it'd be great if they did.  Maybe give GotG its own panel since it's the one that's closest to coming out.  Avengers has started filming so that might have some footage, but probably not much.  I don't even know what's going on with Ant-man really.  Seems like casting is still a thing so I doubt they'll have much to show at that point.

OR

I've also seen speculation that Guardians of the Galaxy might have an advanced screening at the con.  So maybe they won't even be at the super duper already packed Marvel panel at all because why have a panel for a movie you're premiering right there at the con?  If they do a screening I hope I can somehow snag tickets to it because, like I said, I probably won't attempt Hall H on Saturday and I'd like to do SOMETHING MCU related.  It's only a week before the premiere so it's not too terribly early to show it and they're going to have been doing press for quite a while at this point anyway.  What more is there to do at that point besides just showing us the movie lol.  Come on Marvel.  Please please please show us the movie.

Or maybe they'll do both.  Maybe there will be a panel AND a screening and everyone wins.  It'll just be all GotG all the time.  I'm cool with that.

But man oh man oh man, that GotG trailer has me pumped up.  I may have watched it 5 times and immediately followed the film on every social media platform available.  Possibly.  Maybe.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
Re: So let's talk Marvel Cinematic Universe...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:13:43 AM »
I still think Marvel will stick to their usual gameplan and have one big panel (which is really separate panels for each movie back to back).  I don't think whether or not they screen GotG at Comic Con will make a difference.  If they do screen the movie, I'm certain the line for it is going to be extremely long.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:30:51 AM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:14 AM »
I was in Hall H last year for Marvel and they actually did cram 3 different things into one panel.

First of course was Loki and the Thor footage.

And now my memory fails but then came out either GOTG and the entire cast and footage, and then there was CA:WS entire cast and footage. They did NOT do a fan Q&A which I had no issues with. Oh plus they did the AoU teaser at the end of the panel with Joss.

IMO, I think GOTG will have a screening. It comes out the week after SDCC and it wouldn't be the first time Marvel did this at SDCC. They did one for Captain America. This movie is something new and different and if they can get people excited about it a week early, then why the hell not?

As far as how it worked (the screening), they pretty much rented out the entire theater at Horton Plaza. You could get tickets a million different ways (websites, newspapers online) but you STILL had to get there early. A "RSVP" wasn't really a RSVP, which is pretty much how any screening out there works (unless you win actual seats). I think we got there around 7-7:30AM and I can't even remember what time the thing started. We did get some cool swag though by waiting in line. Also, the USO girls were there and Chris Evans went around to each theater to thank us for coming out.

EDIT: I'm 99% sure we had out tickets BEFORE San Diego as well, like maybe a few days before.

MORE EDITS LOLZ:

Here's an article I wrote about the Cap screening for a better idea:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:24:29 AM by WhenNerdsAttack »

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
Agreed with other posters...

One large panel which will be broken up separately into the three (bringing each cast up separately). We also know that Kevin Feige mentioned an unannounced July 2016 and May 2017 movie. We know Thor 3 and (rumored) Doctor Strange are up, still rumors about Black Panther, and obviously an Avengers 3 (even if it's not being said.) So my guess is that there will also be a special announcement regarding the next phase. Of all of it, that's what I'm most interested in. And anything they have to say about Ant-man.

I don't watch it in Hall H, I watch video footage or go to the recaps. But, it always seems like it's "not enough." Of course, it'll never be enough for me. hahaha

GotG screening would be awesome. I keep hearing this thrown around too. If the opportunity pops up, I'll be trying for that.

angel_k

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
And also the Black Widow movie that is "in development" which is basically super vague language for "someone mentioned it and I kinda like the idea."  So I mean there's nothing concrete about that one, but it'd be super sweet if that was part of phase 3.  :D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was in Hall H last year for Marvel and they actually did cram 3 different things into one panel.

IMO, I think GOTG will have a screening. It comes out the week after SDCC and it wouldn't be the first time Marvel did this at SDCC. They did one for Captain America. This movie is something new and different and if they can get people excited about it a week early, then why the hell not?

As far as how it worked (the screening), they pretty much rented out the entire theater at Horton Plaza. You could get tickets a million different ways (websites, newspapers online) but you STILL had to get there early. A "RSVP" wasn't really a RSVP, which is pretty much how any screening out there works (unless you win actual seats). I think we got there around 7-7:30AM and I can't even remember what time the thing started. We did get some cool swag though by waiting in line. Also, the USO girls were there and Chris Evans went around to each theater to thank us for coming out.

EDIT: I'm 99% sure we had out tickets BEFORE San Diego as well, like maybe a few days before.

MORE EDITS LOLZ:

Here's an article I wrote about the Cap screening for a better idea:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I went to a Star Wars Episode III event at the Arclight that did something similar.  The ENTIRE theater was Star Wars.  And they had the openings staggered by 5 minutes so each one was starting at a different time.  We had the 12:05 screening so we were ALMOST the first people to see it.  Then a couple of us (not me) also had tickets for the 4am screening because they wanted to see it both on film and in digital.  Yeah.  HARDCORE.  I hope if they have a screening they do it this way.  It'll be way easier (still hard, but easier) to get a ticket if there are many many hundreds (possibly thousands) available instead of just one theater.

Edit: oh my GOD your Captain America write up is amazing.  I really really want this to happen.  What day was it on?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:20:33 AM by angel_k »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
It was on Thursday!

angel_k

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
Amaazing.  Hard to say if they'd keep things the same, but that'd probably work out well for me if they did.  :)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
If you google "captain america comic-con screening" you'll see all the websites that were giving away tickets for it!

angel_k

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »
If you google "captain america comic-con screening" you'll see all the websites that were giving away tickets for it!

Awesome!  If GotG does this I'm gonna be busting my butt to get tickets.

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
I think priority in phase 3 will be:
Doctor Strange and Black Panther (equally)
Inhumans
This will set us up for Infinity.

This is why I'm particularly excited if they have any announcements for phase 3.

And Black Widow (appeasing the fans). Though with her new title, I see her being more part of phase 4. With maybe phase 4 as Inhumanity (which is just being released in the corresponding comic end).

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Is it true they might be doing a Black Widow movie?  I'm fine if they do (and don't mean to get off topic), but if Marvel is able to pull off a Black Widow movie, it just further magnifies DC's inability to get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground.  Really?  Which character has a bigger built-in fan base?

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »
Is it true they might be doing a Black Widow movie?  I'm fine if they do (and don't mean to get off topic), but if Marvel is able to pull off a Black Widow movie, it just further magnifies DC's inability to get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground.  Really?  Which character has a bigger built-in fan base?

That's the rumor that's been going around for a while.

I think that it's partially based off of DC potentially doing a WW movie. It doesn't hurt that BW has a fan base for movie goers who are not readers because of her presence in Avengers. I'm sure it'll boom even more after Captain America 2. They even released her own title and she'll have a large role in the next major story arc. Her story has potential, so I'm sure it's at least on the table as Marvel tests the waters.

Not sure what Scarlett Johansson's contract is like. But in general, people love her in the role. And I think a BW movie could be frickin amazing. I would just hope that they focus on Doctor Strange and Black Panther first

angel_k

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »

Kevin Feige, President of Production at Marvel Studios: “The notion of exploring [Black Widow] even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that.”

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
Yeah. That's the same line they've been saying for awhile now. Something can be "in development" for years.

angel_k

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
Yep.  "In development" basically means "someone said something and other people thought it was cool."  Nothing has been written.  Nobody has been signed.  Dates haven't been planned.  But when Feige says something I tend to pay a little more attention than anyone else.  He's kind of the big boss.  So when he said it I have a little more hope that things will actually go forward.  But who knows how quickly that'll happen.