Author Topic: Cosplay chat  (Read 95460 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Re: Cosplay chat
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
It would be a fantastic cosplay. I imagine all that detail would be expensive though! I make my own so I'm never sure what stuff costs on commission - both because I value my own time at zero and because it would be too depressing to tally my receipts, lol.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It would be a fantastic cosplay. I imagine all that detail would be expensive though! I make my own so I'm never sure what stuff costs on commission - both because I value my own time at zero and because it would be too depressing to tally my receipts, lol.

I wish that I had the talent to make my own cosplays! I know some basic sewing from home economics in the 6th grade (hence, I was able to slightly alter my Stoneheart costume for this year), but I never learned much past that. It's something that I'd LOVE to do, but I've been too busy to contemplate it lately :( Someday, hopefully! But the seller I purchased my Cersei dress from was really good at helping me break things down into smaller payments, and the dress came out beautifully. So I would definitely do another commission if I were able to raise the funds again!

One tip, if any of my fellow FoCC friends ever decide to go the commission route: If you like to keep your finances private, NEVER tell a reporter how much you paid for your cosplay and neglect to use the phrase "Off the record." I mistakenly did this last year while being interviewed for a TV station last year, and the reporter then broadcasted the information live...and then, when my parents and sister found the link, they found out how much I had actually paid. And then, they shared the link on Facebook, and my friends found out how much I actually paid. It was kind of embarrassing, haha!
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 02:18:24 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
That was kind of rude of your parents and sister, I think! Although I guess it had already been broadcast, lol.
Yeah... I have enough friends who sew (not all cosplayers, but quilters and burlesque dancers and theatre people) that I can commiserate with them on cost without worrying it'll be spread around. I also don't really feel I'm good enough (or un-busy enough) to do commissions, so I don't have to discuss price with anyone else.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
That was kind of rude of your parents and sister, I think! Although I guess it had already been broadcast, lol.
Yeah... I have enough friends who sew (not all cosplayers, but quilters and burlesque dancers and theatre people) that I can commiserate with them on cost without worrying it'll be spread around. I also don't really feel I'm good enough (or un-busy enough) to do commissions, so I don't have to discuss price with anyone else.

Hahaha, they had the best of intentions - and, at that point, I was fine with it, because it was out there anyways - and I was on TV, so I kind of forgot about it until later. They were just so excited, LOL. And the reporter was just doing her job, so I don't really blame her. But, I definitely learned not to mention things in passing if I don't want them spread.

It's always good to have a solid base of people you can discuss those kinds of things with, though! And people who do sewing work will understand how much actually goes into it more than people who don't.
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline SamMaybe

• Sails Pavilion
  • SDCC attendee for 3 years, cosplay, tattoos, dogs
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2016, 02:16:05 PM »
I'm procrastinating working on my cosplay to post about it.

This year I have a healthy mix of custom made stuff and homemade. I have an Infinity Gauntlet dress from Elhoffer Designs that I love, her work is amazing. My biggest work in progress right now is a Kingdom Hearts cosplay. I bought some keyblades at Wizard World philly, and now i'm working on the rest of the outfit. The most time consuming this has been the shoes:

They are basically done now. I'm really excited, i just hope I can find a good amount of time when I won't be in panels, or in lines to wear it! This is my tentative cosplay schedule though:

Wednesday: be a normal person
Thursday: Kingdom Hearts AM/ Abaddon from Supernatural PM
Friday: Infinity Gauntlet AM/ Frog from Over the Garden wall PM (Hall H campout)
Saturday: Still Frog (after getting in Hall H, fingers crossed)
Sunday: Amethyst from Steven Universe

I have groups for some things but not all. I'm just looking forward to getting it all done! I'm usually ready by now  ???
SDCC 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
SVCC 2015
WC 2015
Wizard World Philly 2016
Otakon 2006,2007

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »
that looks really good!

are there many people who do just cos play of things out of the shop or is it mostly home made? I know the home made ones generally look nicer but its just not always practical so just curious what the general trend is with people cosplaying.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »
that looks really good!

are there many people who do just cos play of things out of the shop or is it mostly home made? I know the home made ones generally look nicer but its just not always practical so just curious what the general trend is with people cosplaying.

I am not a 'crafty' person, so I try to buy as much of my costumes as possible. That being said, I will dig around on the internet for pieces that match what I'm trying to achieve. I will also 'make' stuff if it's minimal (for example, this afternoon we cut up a piece of leather scaled fabric and use velcro to create a 'greyscale' piece for my husband's Jorah Mormont costume).

I have a couple of costumes that are more elaborate, and nothing like anything you'd find in a regular store. I had those custom made for me by people who have those skills.

And on the cosplay front.... yesterday and today, my family tried on all of their costumes (3-4 apiece) and we made all final adjustments. We're good to go! Tomorrow I start packing the garment bag.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 03:25:15 PM »
I'm procrastinating working on my cosplay to post about it.

This year I have a healthy mix of custom made stuff and homemade. I have an Infinity Gauntlet dress from Elhoffer Designs that I love, her work is amazing. My biggest work in progress right now is a Kingdom Hearts cosplay. I bought some keyblades at Wizard World philly, and now i'm working on the rest of the outfit. The most time consuming this has been the shoes:

They are basically done now. I'm really excited, i just hope I can find a good amount of time when I won't be in panels, or in lines to wear it! This is my tentative cosplay schedule though:

Wednesday: be a normal person
Thursday: Kingdom Hearts AM/ Abaddon from Supernatural PM
Friday: Infinity Gauntlet AM/ Frog from Over the Garden wall PM (Hall H campout)
Saturday: Still Frog (after getting in Hall H, fingers crossed)
Sunday: Amethyst from Steven Universe

I have groups for some things but not all. I'm just looking forward to getting it all done! I'm usually ready by now  ???
That's incredible. Cosplayers, such as yourself, who put in so much thought and time and effort into their costumes make comic-con amazing for the rest of us.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline SamMaybe

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »

I would say it probably varies a lot from one convention to another. I think some of the best cosplay I've seen was at Wondercon, but it's hard to say how much of it was made by the cosplayers themselves, or modified from store bought items. I will say, I don't often see something like a ready made Halloween costume at conventions, but some of them are really nice looking nowadays too. There are also so many talented designers out there who take commissions on anything you could ever want, and I've seen some really beautiful costumes that were commissioned pieces. It is typically more expensive to get commissioned pieces though.

My favorite way of doing cosplay is going out to discount shops, and thrift stores and looking for cheap items that I could repurpose into cosplay wear. It took me some time to pick out what things would be good, but eventually you fall into it and start seeing potential cosplay pieces everywhere you look. For instance in my Kingdom Hearts shoes, the huge zippers were on this super fuzzy hoodies at a discount shop near me. They were $3 each, so I bought a few and just tore out the zippers. Now I have a ton of extra fuzzy fabric for a Zootopia cosplay or something! That kind of work is really fun. I'll probably post more about it when my whole Kingdom Hearts cosplays is finished, as most of it is repurposed discount shop items.
SVCC 2015
WC 2015
Wizard World Philly 2016
Otakon 2006,2007

Offline SamMaybe

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
That's incredible. Cosplayers, such as yourself, who put in so much thought and time and effort into their costumes make comic-con amazing for the rest of us.

Thank you so much! The whole dynamic of cosplay, especially at SDCC, is just fascinating. I always feel appreciated as a cosplayer there, which I can't say is true for every con I've cosplayed at. It's just so inspiring how much the cosplayers and non-cosplayers get out of seeing their favorite characters come to life.
SVCC 2015
WC 2015
Wizard World Philly 2016
Otakon 2006,2007

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2016, 08:19:44 PM »
Aargh. Attempting to sculpt Margaery's tiara... I am great at roses but unbelievably terrible at antlers, as it turns out...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »
The cosplay view from the Anime Expo 2016

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »
Aargh. Attempting to sculpt Margaery's tiara... I am great at roses but unbelievably terrible at antlers, as it turns out...
I bought a rotary cutter today. The blade dulled after minimal use. I have to go tomorrow and fight to get my money back.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline thawk

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »
Getting closer...cutting it too close this year though!

nana nana nana nana BATMAN...!

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
^That is AWESOME!!! I'd like to see the finished product.

What are everyone's cosplay schedules? Tentatively, mine will be:

Thursday - Civilian. I'll probably be exclusive hunting, exploring the convention center and taking photos of cosplayers.
Friday - Mace Windu
Saturday - Future Static Shock (so I can take part in the DC Photo shoot)
Sunday - Morpheus from the Matrix

I just hope that Ultrasabers won't be at SDCC. If everyone walking around is brandishing a lightsaber, it kind of diminishes the Jedi and Sith that are in cosplay. If Ultrasabers does have a booth, I'll probably cosplay another character.