Author Topic: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?  (Read 4748 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 11:45:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ugh, I really wouldn’t want to have to camp out to buy badges again…

That's not going to happen.  Since the reason they would have onsite badge sales is if they didn't sell enough badges.  That's what happened at Turkeycon.  There was definitely no line.  I watch some people walk in, inquire and then walk right back out.  The problem was that the only thing for sale was the full set of badges.  There wasn't a daily option.  Why would people buy badges for all the days when there is only 1 day left?  If there are onsite badge sales, I hope they offer daily badges.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2022, 05:30:33 AM »
I think that the implication was badges for 2022, not badges for 2023.

Ah, that makes more sense. I have bad memories of missing a day of con waiting to buy badges for next year.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:08:34 AM »

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 06:12:05 PM »
I guess with some of the news this week, I should probably add one more thing that looks like it will be different: a vastly altered exhibitor floor.

I think with news that has trickled on who is out (WB/DC, Dark Horse, Graphitti Designs, Cartoon Network) and changes that are coming (No Hasbro retail) along with a few other changes (Crunchyroll is taking over for Funimation), this year will be a big shock for me in terms of seeing the show floor.

Some changes to the floor will be pretty cool (Funkoville looks pretty neat) but others I will be sad to see go (Dark Horse had a great retail booth and had a ton of great signings for comic artists, ditto for Cartoon Network).

I know that new vendors and companies will take over the spaces left behind, and that'll be exciting to check out. But I expect them to be more understated than the prior companies. Also, there will probably be a number of vendors who couldn't make it out of Covid times along with others who have made the business decision to no longer exhibit since the costs are too great now. I am beginning to wonder if there will be less vendors overall, which may be one way they can enforce distancing as less vendors means they can widen the walk areas. The fact they have not released the exhibitor list with three weeks to go, makes me wonder if this is the case.

Here's hoping I'm wrong but I am trying to check my expectations on who we will see on the floor this year.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 06:33:08 PM »
My expectations? Gonna be fun.

Enjoy what this year’s show has to offer, keep the hype level in check, and have fun doing whatever. I’m telling ya, this SDCC won’t be that bad. It won’t be 100% as usual, but be happy we have a show to go to that has some of its usual fun back. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:35:48 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »
I expect it to be much more low key and with lower attendence levels.

I expect the lower attendence levels will make the con a much better experience.

I expect people are going to bring and share their love of the con and their active Covid infections.

I'm not super excited about the off-sites this year. I hope more get announced.

I am excited to see my SDCC con pals who I have maintained friendships with since 2013.  Hall H b***hes for life :P

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:34:49 PM by angi »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2022, 08:39:09 PM »
I guess with some of the news this week, I should probably add one more thing that looks like it will be different: a vastly altered exhibitor floor.

For me the big thing missing will be the hoards of people circling like sharks hoping to get a glimpse of a celebrity at a booth.  The absence of WB/DC guarantees that that big group of celebrities won't be there.  I doubt any studio will bring their celebrities onto the floor.  It's not worth the risk.

The fact they have not released the exhibitor list with three weeks to go, makes me wonder if this is the case.

Here's hoping I'm wrong but I am trying to check my expectations on who we will see on the floor this year.

There's reason for hope.

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 09:23:10 PM »
My mind is on overdrive too … but this is the only con I physically prepare for. I’ve been doing daily 4-mile hikes in the sun, which might be overkill but I don’t want to run out of gas. I was exhausted after one day at Megacon this year.

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 12:54:52 AM »
I can't wait to be back. Even if it's not 100% of what it used to be for this year, I'll be grateful and excited to be surrounded by like-minded people, see con friends, and to finally be back in that environment. Well, until I get hosed by line cutters or have to wait for that darn train to fully cross.

For those like me where this is their favorite week of the year (sorry CCSE), we've waited a longer time compared to others who have seen their in-person "thing they miss the most" be available to them again, e.g. going to sporting events, movies, traveling, etc. I loved looking forward to this every July and have it be a carrot on a stick while grinding through the other ~361 days of the year. To not be able to do so the past two years, well, sucked (along with everything else that sucked). So no complaints here that I've been able to resume my annual tradition of being the most unproductive employee in my company for seven or so weeks beginning around June 1.

With regards to how many companies/booths seems to be scaling back their presence this year: I personally have never come remotely close to seeing/doing/buying everything I want to do at every SDCC. At no point during the week am I at a loss of something I want to see or do and I'm guessing the same goes for the majority of FoCC members. So I have absolutely zero concern that I'll find myself bored or not having anything to do, and I'm confident the same will go for all of you. Insert qualifier here because I might turn out to be completely wrong!

I think of SDCC like a buffet: they might have reduced the number of items on the menu, but I have every reason (at this point) to believe there will still be more than enough options to fill up my plate and then go back for more.
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2022, 03:41:38 AM »
With the changes in landscape, all this means is that the line at the Marvel booth can be waaaaaay long and not impede other booths :D

As has been said above, I'm just looking forward to being back...panels, friends, offsites...gonna be a great week!
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 07:17:50 AM »
I look forward to seeing new companies and entities that have not been able to get onto the Exhibition floor. Years ago, I recall seeing this small table in the back with these big headed little chunky figures...yeah..Funko. 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 09:19:39 AM »
I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most is the sheer joy of being surrounded by people who all love the same things I do.

Growing up, and for many, many years into my adulthood, I had to keep my love of comics, sci-fi and fantasy to myself out of fear of being labeled a "geek", "nerd" and "loser".  Most of my friends had no idea I was a fan and that I collected comics.  It's different now, of course.  Star Wars came along and changed things a little.  You could say you enjoyed Star Wars and not get pelted with insults.  And now in these modern times Marvel Studios has made superheroes fashionable and trendy.  That's very, very cool.

But not so when I was a young man.  I was in the Navy and I was expected to act like a grown up.  There was no way I could talk about the latest adventures of Iron Man or Batman with my peers.

And so, when I first walked through the doors of the old San Diego Convention and Performing Arts Center those 40 years ago, it was the first time in my life that I felt like I truly belonged somewhere.  I could be myself and no one would judge me.  I could share my love of this hobby with people who loved it as much as I did.  I didn't have to hide who I was anymore.

And that is why I still go and why I always will.  It's the love.  That's what it's all about.

Thank you, founders of the San Diego Comic Con for creating this amazing event.  Thank you, Jack Kirby, Ray Bradbury, Forrest J Ackerman and  A. E. van Vogt for being special guests at that first show.  You selflessly gave up your own time and money to join us and you helped put us on the map.

I am SO excited to be doing this again for my 38th time.  Have a safe and happy Fourth of July, everyone.  I will see you all in a little less than three weeks.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 09:22:06 AM »
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Comic Con. With DC, Dark Horse and the other big players opting out can we be sure they will ever come back? Once word gets out about the diminished experience that is Comic Con, will fans be willing to pay the exorbitant prices for airfare and hotels. If Turkey Con and this year's WonderCon are harbingers for the future of Comic Con, things look bleak.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 09:35:35 AM »
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Comic Con. With DC, Dark Horse and the other big players opting out can we be sure they will ever come back? Once word gets out about the diminished experience that is Comic Con, will fans be willing to pay the exorbitant prices for airfare and hotels. If Turkey Con and this year's WonderCon are harbingers for the future of Comic Con, things look bleak.

No sir.  As long as there are people who love this stuff there will always be a comic con. 

Will it contract and get smaller?  To be honest, I've been expecting that since before covid.  The people who go just because it's the trendy thing to do were going to lose interest sooner or later.  But I don't look at it like it's getting smaller, I look at it like it's getting back to normal. 

I suspect DC and Dark Horse WILL be back.  They're not going to let Marvel and Image steal all the thunder.  Also consider that DC and Dark Horse are already here on the West Coast. 

It's going to be okay.  I think we're going to have a great time, and I think we'll doing it for many, many years.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 02:24:01 PM by SDcomics »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 09:49:27 AM »

I believe this may signal a bright new path! New companies, new ideas, new experiences. Yay!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 09:51:31 AM »

I think comic-con will be just fine.  People want to think things are back to normal.  They aren't back to normal.  Companies are still being cautious.  Just yesterday, the indoor mask requirement for TV/Movie production in LA was reinstated.

I think for every fan not willing to fly into comic-con, there will be a local rushing to take their place.  Look at the closing bids on the auctions.  So far, they are going for about more than double face value.

Update: I just checked and someone paid $1,725 for ONE badge set.  I want to say they got carried away since PAIRs of badges have sold for less.  But another auction for ONE sold for $1,676.  Those two should have gotten together and split a PAIR.  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:13:08 AM by chocolateshake »