Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127793 times)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #375 on: November 19, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
San Diego and other counties in purple tier (the most strict) is now on curfew, 10pm-5am. Only essential workers only.

I'm embarrassed to say I know someone that said "the man can't keep me down". I'm like oh that's a joke. Nope. He said bars will stay open, what are they gonna do? I'm like "well, make sure your will is up to date".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #376 on: November 20, 2020, 01:50:48 AM »
I listened to the press conference on the way to my weekly Walmart drive up supply run.  A reporter asked what good it would do since it's only at night.  The reply was pretty clear.  It's a warning.  If the trend doesn't change then the full lockdown will be back.

It's a contrast of two Americas where California and New York are locking down again with 3-4% positivity rates.  It took positivity rates of 50% or higher in other states to trigger restrictions.  A very concerning thing at today's press conference is that the hospitalization rate in CA is 12%.  With 10,000 new cases a day it doesn't take many days for that to add up.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #377 on: Today at 01:44:31 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #377 on: November 20, 2020, 10:27:34 AM »
More good news on the vaccine front: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The process could start very soon. The first COVID-19 vaccine is anticipated to be authorized by the Food and Drug Administration within the next month, with distribution to start in no more than 24 hours to every state in the union. A second vaccine could be authorized two weeks later. Enough vaccine for 20 million people is expected to be available in December, with more coming in 2021.

As a teacher I'd be in the Phase 2 out of 4, which feels right (those who need it more get it first; if we're pushing to return kids to schools then teachers should have priority after those that need it the most).  I don't know what a realistic timeframe is for dispersal of the vaccine from phase-to-phase, but it seems like we're ramping up to start the process, and that's exciting

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #378 on: November 20, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I listened to the press conference on the way to my weekly Walmart drive up supply run.  A reporter asked what good it would do since it's only at night.  The reply was pretty clear.  It's a warning.  If the trend doesn't change then the full lockdown will be back.

It's a contrast of two Americas where California and New York are locking down again with 3-4% positivity rates.  It took positivity rates of 50% or higher in other states to trigger restrictions.  A very concerning thing at today's press conference is that the hospitalization rate in CA is 12%.  With 10,000 new cases a day it doesn't take many days for that to add up.
Yeah, this order is basically a "knock this BS off or I'm going to get serious."  Doesn't effect most (people who hang in bars fairly late, people who get the munchies and make 11pm runs to Taco Bell, etc), but almost certainly meant as a warning that if things don't improve harsher restrictions will be coming down.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #379 on: November 21, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
California is spiking.  Both the number of new cases and the test positivity rate is up 50% in 2 days.  There were 10,000 new cases 2 days ago, today it's 15,000.  Positivity was 4% 2 days ago, today it's 6%.  I don't see how we will not go back into full lockdown if this continues.

Covid is local.  San Diego county has a very cool interactive map showing cases and rates per neighborhood.  There are the good neighborhoods, there are the bad ones.  Clicking around the lowest I found was 1% and the highest was 8%.  That matches what I see when I'm in those neighborhoods.  Mask wearing compliance varies a lot.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »
Where is the map? I would love to see!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2020, 11:42:20 PM »
Another vaccine trial has announced it's results.  It's the Oxford vaccine.  It's also a non-traditional vaccine that programs your body to produce the spike protein instead of having the spike protein injected into you as the vaccine.  They average it out to be 70% effective.  That comes from combining two groups.  Using one dosing scheme it was 62% effective.  Using another it was 90% effective.

Between all these vaccines, there may be enough for everyone next year.  There are a lot being trialed right now.

Where is the map? I would love to see!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #382 on: December 02, 2020, 09:07:57 AM »
Check out this video of Dr. Fauci from either today or yesterday: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He says, 
"We've got to make sure that people get vaccinated. So if 75-85 percent of the people in the country get vaccinated as the vaccine becomes available, and the general public, not speaking of the people of the highest priority who have underlying conditions - the young men and women," he explained.
"If they get vaccinated through April, May and June, and really do a full-court press to get everybody vaccinated, you can get back to normal or at least approaching close to normal, as you get into the late summer and early fall."

This is incredibly exciting news, both for the country in general and potentially for SDCCI as well.  If Dr. Fauci's timeline is doable (and that will be on both the current Trump Administration as well as incoming Biden Administration to role-out the vaccine process nationally), that could mean a significant amount of us vaccinated by mid-July making SDCCI a much more viable proposition for all involved.  I'm a musician/music teacher, not a scientist, so I honestly don't know if this is more 'best-case-scenario' type of thinking or how realistic this is, but I do know the CA Governor announced yesterday that the state was getting hundreds of thousands of vaccines in the next few weeks to start distributing to 'Phase 1' folks (front-line + hospital workers, way high-risk folks, nursing home workers, etc) so it feels like a vaccine is starting to get rolled out before Christmas!

After nine months of gloom, as well as current events that are horrendous and depressing (our country experience MASSIVE spikes), this light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel news is really cause of celebration, I think.  My 'hopeful optimism' is definitely growing!

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #383 on: December 02, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
Check out this video of Dr. Fauci from either today or yesterday: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He says, 
This is incredibly exciting news, both for the country in general and potentially for SDCCI as well.  If Dr. Fauci's timeline is doable (and that will be on both the current Trump Administration as well as incoming Biden Administration to role-out the vaccine process nationally), that could mean a significant amount of us vaccinated by mid-July making SDCCI a much more viable proposition for all involved.  I'm a musician/music teacher, not a scientist, so I honestly don't know if this is more 'best-case-scenario' type of thinking or how realistic this is, but I do know the CA Governor announced yesterday that the state was getting hundreds of thousands of vaccines in the next few weeks to start distributing to 'Phase 1' folks (front-line + hospital workers, way high-risk folks, nursing home workers, etc) so it feels like a vaccine is starting to get rolled out before Christmas!

After nine months of gloom, as well as current events that are horrendous and depressing (our country experience MASSIVE spikes), this light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel news is really cause of celebration, I think.  My 'hopeful optimism' is definitely growing!

The timeline is ENTIRELY realistic.  I actually think it can be done sooner.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #384 on: December 02, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
We still do occasional zoom happy hours with friends, several of whom work in biotech, and they have had some interesting things to say. They do not go into specifics of course but a general theme is that there has been a level of sharing and communication between different companies that was unheard of in the past, which they're quite encouraged by.

The other, and please note this is a total hunch on one of my friends part, is around the different temperature requirements for the pfizer and moderna vaccines. His suspicion is that the pfizer vaccine might actually work being stored at a higher temp but that the temperature is part of the testing process and that they went the safer route by using a colder temp while the (much much smaller company) moderna took a cheekier approach and tested at the higher temp.

Time will tell on the hunch, but I found the first thing interesting and welcome news.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #385 on: December 02, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »
The timeline is ENTIRELY realistic.  I actually think it can be done sooner.

The limiter is the availability of vaccine.  When they make those statements that vaccines will be widely available by April it's with the qualifier "to everyone who wants one".  Unfortunately that's only 60% of the population right now.  We need much higher compliance to get back to normal.

The bad news is that the Oxford vaccine has been set back and is going to undergo another trial.  The good news is there are over 20 other ones on the horizon.

The other, and please note this is a total hunch on one of my friends part, is around the different temperature requirements for the pfizer and moderna vaccines. His suspicion is that the pfizer vaccine might actually work being stored at a higher temp but that the temperature is part of the testing process and that they went the safer route by using a colder temp while the (much much smaller company) moderna took a cheekier approach and tested at the higher temp.

Time will tell on the hunch, but I found the first thing interesting and welcome news.

I suspect that the BioNTech vaccine can be stored at the same temperature as Moderna's.  They are pretty much the same vaccine.  Pfizer has said they are evaluating it at higher temperatures.

The vaccine the world really needs is the Oxford one.  Easy to make, easy to store and cheap.  The problem is that doubts have been raised about it's trial results so they will be conducting another trial.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #386 on: December 03, 2020, 10:17:20 AM »
Interesting piece in The NY Times today: a guesstimate of where you'd be in line for the vaccine.
Spoiler: much deeper than any Comic-Con line I’ve ever waited in 😬

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #387 on: December 03, 2020, 11:03:39 AM »
Interesting piece in The NY Times today: a guesstimate of where you'd be in line for the vaccine.

Very cool!  Though I don't much like where I am in the line...

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #388 on: December 03, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »

Well darn...looks like I would need to pay for access to this little gem.  Oh well, someone will come up with this, for free...I hope. I know it is just a guess, anyway.  :(
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #389 on: December 03, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
Very cool!  Though I don't much like where I am in the line...

hmmm...

I'm surprised I'm in front of teachers.

Anyway as a healthy individual, I'm more than willing to let anyone on the forum get in front of me.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!