Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 78763 times)

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2018, 07:01:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Was thinking about starting The Terror on tv, [member=4072]angoradebs[/member] what did you think of the book and have you watched the series? Always curious what people recommend about reading versus watching it first.

Re: The book. Overall, I enjoyed it and would recommend it. It does start slow, but once it picks up, it's paced really well. The first few chapters kind of jump back and forth in time and can get confusing if you don't make note of the dates at the beginning of the chapter, but partway through the book it becomes a linear story.

The actual "terror" and the mystery surrounding it were a little weirder than I anticipated, and I'm not sure I loved the resolution of that part of the story. I did really love other parts of the book, specifically the depictions of the ships' crews simply trying to survive the elements. The characters exemplified the best and worst of human nature.

I have been watching the show, although I haven't seen the most recent episode. It's very well acted and well made. I thought the first episode was gripping. The rest haven't quite been as good, but based on my preference for the latter half of the novel, I'm confident that the show will get better as it progresses. There have definitely been some changes, most notably to the main female character, Lady Silence, and the protagonist Captain Crozier. So far I haven't considered those changes anything particularly egregious, but it does make me wonder how they will handle some later plot points (or if they'll forgo them entirely).

I personally would read the book first before watching the show. Or maybe watch the first episode, and if it strikes your fancy, read the book before continuing. Since the novel takes a bit to get into, it might help to have an episode under your belt so you know a bit about what you're getting into.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #286 on: April 19, 2018, 07:04:22 AM »
I'm currently reading City of Endless Night by Preston & Child. It is part of their Agent Pendergast series.  I have really enjoyed these books and now pre-order them for my kindle.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:22:53 AM by Emerald_Mom »
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #287 on: Today at 11:11:33 PM »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »
I finally started The Martian the other day. One of my alumni groups does a semi-monthly book club called Page & Popcorn, where we pick a book that was made into a movie, read the book, and get together to watch the movie and eat. Last month it was A Wrinkle in Time.

Last week I read Ship It, which I was really excited about, but was highly disappointed in. It's a YA LGBT+ romance that revolves heavily around fandom and con culture, and I did not like the way fans came across in it. The main character was way too entitled and her behavior crossed the line many times, but she kept being rewarded for it.

Also if any of you read manga, you should read Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku. The English translation came out on Tuesday and it's adorable.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
I finally started The Martian the other day. One of my alumni groups does a semi-monthly book club called Page & Popcorn, where we pick a book that was made into a movie, read the book, and get together to watch the movie and eat. Last month it was A Wrinkle in Time.

Last week I read Ship It, which I was really excited about, but was highly disappointed in. It's a YA LGBT+ romance that revolves heavily around fandom and con culture, and I did not like the way fans came across in it. The main character was way too entitled and her behavior crossed the line many times, but she kept being rewarded for it.

Also if any of you read manga, you should read Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku. The English translation came out on Tuesday and it's adorable.
Really enjoyed  The Martian; and the movie adaptation was surprisingly good. I really enjoyed them both.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2018, 07:48:54 AM »
I'm reading Frankenstein.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2018, 07:52:44 AM »
I'm currently reading City of Endless Night by Preston & Child. It is part of their Agent Pendergast series.  I have really enjoyed these books and now pre-order them for my kindle.

I binge on those every now and then but I soured on them for a while after Brimstone. I adore Wilkie Collins and when they lifted Count Fusco for their book it pretty much ruined it for me. I'm over it now though. And I just remembered that there is  Woman in White adapation that starts this Sunday.

What a great reading group idea!

One series I have never read is Discworld. I tried a few times but my brain just wasn't in the right space. Thinking I might finally give it a go this summer, knowing it'll probably end up dominating my life for a few months.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:19 AM »
[member=4270]mark[/member] One of the best things about Discworld is that it's really episodic. I've always felt able to dip in and out as I pleased, even if that meant I sometimes ended up reading books that "happened" before other books after those other books. Some subsets of the world (the Watch, the Witches, etc) do have mini-arcs, but they're still not "series" in the sense that each book is building to a shared story or conclusion. Rather, each book mostly stands alone, and the only real reason to read the arcs in order is to watch the characters develop.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We took a month off from recapping in March to present WonderCon Anaheim 2018, but we’re back with another recap from all SEVEN of our Comic-Con International Graphic Novel Book Clubs, flung across the far-reaching cosmos of San Diego County!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #293 on: April 25, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
Ok, this is just plain mean. Saw an email announcing a new book from George R. R. Martin and it's a PREQUEL to ASOIAF.

Actually, am looking forward to it and GRRM has a charming entry about it on his notablog You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Drops November 20th.

[member=4270]mark[/member] One of the best things about Discworld is that it's really episodic. I've always felt able to dip in and out as I pleased, even if that meant I sometimes ended up reading books that "happened" before other books after those other books. Some subsets of the world (the Watch, the Witches, etc) do have mini-arcs, but they're still not "series" in the sense that each book is building to a shared story or conclusion. Rather, each book mostly stands alone, and the only real reason to read the arcs in order is to watch the characters develop.

Thanks! I have a tendency to binge but maybe I'll be able to break it up. I also came across a copy of The Compleat Ankh-Morpork, although I can't currently figure out where I put it.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
I also came across a copy of The Compleat Ankh-Morpork, although I can't currently figure out where I put it.

Somehow that seems completely appropriate for that particular book. It's probably made its way to the Unseen University library...

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
Had some time to kill before Infinity War yesterday so went scavaging for books. Some nice finds at a library friends store.  Almost all of these are signed :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »
Had some time to kill before Infinity War yesterday so went scavaging for books. Some nice finds at a library friends store.  Almost all of these are signed :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice!

I just started Reflection. It's part of Disney's Twisted Tale series, where they take one of their movies and put a new twist on it. The first one (Aladdin) was not that great. The second one (Sleeping Beauty) was better. I haven't read the third one yet (Beauty and the Beast) because I gave my copy to a friend for Christmas. Reflection is the fourth one - it's a twist on Mulan. Basically, Shang saves Mulan from Shan Yu's blade on the mountain and dies, and Mulan travels to the Underworld to save him. I'm not far into it yet but I like it so far.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #297 on: April 28, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »
I read the adaption of Star Trek V while recovering from surgery and on pain meds. :o

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »
idwpublishing It’s #BookLoversDay! What are you currently reading?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #299 on: August 09, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
Just started Doctor Sleep. Been watching Castle Rock so was in the mood for some Stephen King.  Earlier I went through all 5 volumes of the Lucifer comic, I had only read the first volume before. The first volume was still my favorite but still quite strong for a 700+ page comics story.