Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 78762 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1881
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2018, 05:08:45 AM »
Thought this book was great.  The second in the series was a lil bit of a tougher read to me and not as enjoyable as the first.  But the first...great read.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »
I love this series!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #317 on: Today at 10:07:10 PM »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #317 on: October 13, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
I'm so far behind on Miss Peregrine. I have the second book but I've never read it.

Today I started Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan, and, like, what is it with books I've read this year and people's dogs getting killed? This is the third one so far, and the second one in the past couple of months.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline codeviolet

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #318 on: October 13, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
finally picked up the hobbit! haha so slow.....

Offline hasan459

• Sails Pavilion
    • download comics for free
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #319 on: November 15, 2018, 06:53:47 AM »
recently i have finished weird science

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #320 on: November 15, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
I just finished reading Ready Player One.  I liked the movie better version.  The two aren't the same.  It's like an outline was handed out and two different authors wrote stories based on that.  The movie version in my opinion was better storytelling.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2018, 05:02:14 PM »
I'm reading Hope Never dies, it's a mystery that Obama and Biden try and solve together. It's actually really good. I'm also listening to The Graveyard Book on YouTube. Its free folks! Check it out.its Soo cool to hear Neil read it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #322 on: November 30, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
Open enrollment:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Comic-Con has been hosting seven Graphic Novel Book Clubs over the past five years, mainly in libraries around the San Diego County area (plus one at the future site of the Comic-Con Museum in Balboa Park). We’re going to be adding two new groups in early 2019—one in North County and one in South Bay—but in the meantime five of our existing clubs have some membership slots open. You don’t have to be a veteran comics reader to join … many of our members were curious about comics and took the plunge and now are graphic novel fans!

Applying for membership is easy … just download this form, fill it out and send it to [email protected]. Please check whichever locations interest you; while, as a newcomer, you can join only one group, we’ll let you know which ones still have availability and help you find the one that matches your schedule and location. New memberships will begin in January 2019. The deadline to apply is Friday, Dec. 14, 2018.

The clubs meet in the evening once a month (some clubs skip July) and gather together for a giant potluck Holiday Party in December, where everyone reads the same book. Members must be 18 years of age or older, have a Comic-Con Member ID, and—obviously!—live in San Diego County to attend the meetings. Meetings last about 90 minutes; members are responsible for obtaining their own copies of the selected books, either via local comics shop, online, digitally, or from their local libraries. The members of each group decide what the group will read by pitching and voting on graphic novels.

There are five groups accepting members starting in January 2019. Wondering which club is best for you? Here’s some additional info:

Downtown meets the first Tuesday of every month at 6:00 PM
    Encinitas meets the first Thursday of every month at 6:30 PM
    La Jolla meets the second Tuesday of every month at 6:00 PM
    Mission Valley meets the first Wednesday of every month 6:00 PM
    North Park meets the first Wednesday of every month at 6:30 PM

While there are openings in each of the five above-mentioned groups, memberships are extremely limited (no more than 20 people per group). This open enrollment period for existing groups ends on Friday, Dec. 14, so if you’re interested, get that form to us ASAP to be considered. The Comic-Con Graphic Novel Book Clubs offer a fun way to meet new like-minded comics fans and to discuss some of your favorite books … and you’ll definitely find some new faves (and make some new friends), too!

Posted on Nov 29, 2018

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »

TWO NEW BOOK CLUBS IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY! Comic-Con Adds Two More Graphic Novel Book Clubs!

Comic-Con has been sponsoring seven graphic novel book clubs over the past few years, mainly in San Diego libraries (plus one at the future site of the Comic-Con Museum in Balboa Park), and we’re happy to announce that we’re adding two new groups to start off 2019, a new one in Chula Vista and a second club in Escondido!

You can join only one of these clubs, so pick the one that works best for you, location-wise.

Applying for membership is easy … just download this form and return it to us at [email protected] by Thursday, January 31. Please check whichever location interests you. Membership slots in both clubs are extremely limited. In order to have a fun and enjoyable discussion group, each Comic-Con Graphic Novel Book Club is limited to around 20 members.

The clubs meet in the evening once a month (some clubs skip July) and gather together for a giant potluck Holiday Party in December, where everyone reads the same book. Members must be 18 years of age or older, have a Comic-Con Member ID, and—obviously!—live in San Diego County to attend the meetings. Meetings last about 90 minutes; members are responsible for obtaining their own copies of the selected books, either via local comics shop, online, digitally, or from their local libraries.

This year marks the beginning of the sixth year for our flagship groups, Downtown and Mission Valley. North Park and La Jolla joined us in 2015, Encinitas and our first club in Escondido in 2017, and Balboa Park in 2018!

Wondering which club is best for you? Here’s some additional info:

Chula Vista will meet the second Tuesday of every month at 6:30 PM
    Escondido will meet the first Wednesday of every month at 6:30 PM

Download the form for more information. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Comic-Con Graphic Novel Book Clubs offer a fun way to meet new, like-minded comics fans and to discuss some of your favorite books. You’ll definitely find some new faves (and make some new friends), too!

Posted on Jan 10, 2019

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »
I'm reading Fall of Gondolin.  I feel like I already read all of it in unfinished tales and HoME. 

I have Scar by the Dyachenkos as my reading material for my plane trip to Asia on Thursday

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:11 PM »
I'm reading Rachel Maddow's book Drift, and I have Michelle Obama's Becoming next in line.  Is there a theme?? :D

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #326 on: January 24, 2019, 02:23:03 PM »
ICYMI: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Dear Unbound Worlds readers,

Ten years ago, Penguin Random House set out to create a home for science fiction and fantasy readers, with the aim of providing you with book recommendations, exclusive author essays and interviews, excerpts, fun sweepstakes, and so much more. Over the years it’s been our privilege to have helped our readers discover new books and series, re-discover old favorites, and to provide insight into beloved authors.

Today we’re announcing that the conversation with our readers is ready to evolve in new and exciting ways. In the new year, the articles, interviews, and lists you have enjoyed on Unbound Worlds will have a new home within You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. That means we’ll no longer be publishing new content on Unbound Worlds after this month, but we’re excited to be able to deliver even more of the very best in science fiction, fantasy, and horror books, curated collections, and offers through our email programs.

We’ll have more details to share in the coming weeks, but in the meantime, we hope that you’ll visit PenguinRandomHouse.com. There, you can sign up to receive personalized recommendations and discover even more about our books and authors as you join us on this journey through the stars and beyond.

Although the site is closing, we still wanted to have a special community for our readers to connect with the books they love and with each other. You can join our new community at the Facebook group here.

The Unbound Worlds Team

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #327 on: January 24, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »
Just finished reading Ready Player One. After watching the movie, the book is waaaaaaay better. I had no idea how different each medium was, but I understand why the changes had to be made to appeal to a more massive audience.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9690
« Reply #328 on: January 24, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
There are visual aspects as well. Playing a video game (especially a text game) isn't really that exciting to watch on a movie screen.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2019, 05:35:35 PM »
I'm working my way through Tom King's Batman Rebirth graphic novels. I gotta say, I'm not really liking them much...