Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196809 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello Everyone!  Finally joined as an official member since I've been stalking this forum for months.  This is my first time going to the Mothership and it's already been a mind blowing experience dealing with badges, hotels, etc.  Didn't get a badge for all the days but did luck out and got accepted as a Volunteer so I'll miss Preview night but will still get to be there for the rest of the week.  Got a hotel but like a lot of people not on my "wish list" - still hoping for a downtown location.

My partner and I are coming from Alaska (I know the heat is going to kill me!) and really hope we get to meet some or all of you!
Thanks so much to everyone who posts here regularly on all subjects - you don't realize how much you've helped this newb!!!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." 

Welcome to the forums, AlaskaRainbow!  (May I call you "Rain" for short?)  Ha ha.  Congratulations on becoming a CCI volunteer!  I'm sure you'll have a blast seeing what they do behind-the-scenes.

Hi, Zero, great to see you here! :D

Thanks, Jun! ^_~  I think I'm going to start calling you that now. (Is that okay?) *laughs*
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
Zero - You can call me anything you want as long as you don't call me late for dinner!! HAHA (gasping from laughing so hard) 
Sorry, that was pretty bad.

Thanks for the welcome messages - we have been consumed with Con Craziness since we made the decision last year to finally go instead of watching the coverage on G4 or jealously reading about it on the internets.  We keep saying this will probably be the only time we go because of the cost but I have a feeling I'll be on the plane heading back North in July and I'll be mumbling to myself as I pat my bag of cool swag - I want to go to there - Again!!   

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 09:34:58 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
Zero - You can call me anything you want as long as you don't call me late for dinner!! HAHA (gasping from laughing so hard) 
Sorry, that was pretty bad.

Thanks for the welcome messages - we have been consumed with Con Craziness since we made the decision last year to finally go instead of watching the coverage on G4 or jealously reading about it on the internets.  We keep saying this will probably be the only time we go because of the cost but I have a feeling I'll be on the plane heading back North in July and I'll be mumbling to myself as I pat my bag of cool swag - I want to go to there - Again!!   

Cool!  "Rain," it is.  (I'm lazy, so I like to shorten usernames. *laughs*)  ;p

Ha ha, it's almost like an addiction... go to con once, and then you want to go back for more. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
We'll keep an eye on things and let you know if hotels open up!

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
  but I have a feeling I'll be on the plane heading back North in July and I'll be mumbling to myself as I pat my bag of cool swag - I want to go to there - Again!!
Don't worry Rain, the first decade is the hardest, after that its an easy decision to come back to The Con! And congrats on the volunteer, you will be on the early entry list for the volunteer pool now for future years, and will be able to sign up ahead of the crowd.
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »
Don't worry Rain, the first decade is the hardest, after that its an easy decision to come back to The Con! And congrats on the volunteer, you will be on the early entry list for the volunteer pool now for future years, and will be able to sign up ahead of the crowd.

What?  You mean the first ten minutes of being at con didn't convince you to return for the following year? ;p

EDIT: For those of us new to the forums, here's a quick list of helpful threads to get you started. I'll update these as we go along, so check back every now and again. ^_^

BADGES/REGISTRATION
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for info and updates on Professional badge registration.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for info and updates on Press badge registration.
HOTELS, PARKING, TRANSPORTATION
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: post in here (or check here) if you're looking for a roommate in your hotel room, condo, apartment, etc.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for questions about the Comic-Con parking passes distributed by Ace Parking.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for questions/concerns about taking the bus, train, or trolley.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: post in here (or check here) for finding carpools to con with your fellow forum members.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for reviews and feedback on various hotels in the Comic-Con Hotel Block.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for questions, concerns, or tips on getting hotel rooms for this year's con.
ADVICE/HELP
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: learn some great tips and tricks to surviving con (with a new and improved list!).
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: complementing the survival guide, here's a quick list of things you might want to consider bringing to con.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for advice on getting cool swag and items during con.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for advice on getting autographs at con.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for help on using those airline frequent flyer miles credit card.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for suggestions on where to go for the best restaurants in/near Downtown San Diego.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for suggestions on various happenings and events going on in San Diego during con.
MISCELLANEOUS
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: to post photos of your cosplay or other people's cosplays from this year's con.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: to post your photos or videos from last year's convention.
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: for a possible forum meet-up sometime during the week of con.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:08:32 AM by Zero »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
The COn is definitely an addiction. You go once, then you want to go next year and the next year... and if you were to miss it, you'd be eating your heart out wondering what you're missing!!!!

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
Hello everyone, as you can tell my name is Kevin and this is my third SDCC (would have been going longer but it took me a decade to give up on any of my friends or family coming with me). Just so you don't think I'm in with the geek chic crowd I want you to know I've been collecting comic for 28 years (mostly Marvel, I have a full run of X-men). I primarily collect comics and limited edition statues and figures (like Hot Toys). This site is a great resource and I look forward to conversing with you all.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
It's great to see you here, Kevin! I've been going to Comic Con since 2008. Some years I go alone, some years I take some of my family. But I always meet up with friends while I'm there. For some of us, this is the one time each year that we see each other!

Geek Chic... really, who thought that up? Geeky stuff has *always* been the best! I mean back in the good old days, playing Nethack and D&D, reading comics that were actually fun instead of 'dark', collecting toys that were actually designed to be played with... *That* was cool!

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
It's great to see you here, Kevin! I've been going to Comic Con since 2008. Some years I go alone, some years I take some of my family. But I always meet up with friends while I'm there. For some of us, this is the one time each year that we see each other!

Geek Chic... really, who thought that up? Geeky stuff has *always* been the best! I mean back in the good old days, playing Nethack and D&D, reading comics that were actually fun instead of 'dark', collecting toys that were actually designed to be played with... *That* was cool!

Oh, it's always been fun but there was also an undeserved social stigma attached to it, as if you couldn't be a normal and fully functional person if you were into scifi andcomics. I think that the increased popularity of video games and movies based on comic books has really started to alliviate some of that. Don't get me started on collecting toys that you play with, my mother gave away all of my Star Wars, He-Man and Transformers toys.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
Don't get me started on collecting toys that you play with, my mother gave away all of my Star Wars, He-Man and Transformers toys.

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
Oh, it's always been fun but there was also an undeserved social stigma attached to it, as if you couldn't be a normal and fully functional person if you were into scifi and comics.
i have been thinking of that a lot recently--of how it was and the general acceptance of peoples oddity's at the modern con's
regardless, welcome, i've enjoyed your posts-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »
Just so you don't think I'm in with the geek chic crowd I want you to know I've been collecting comic for 28 years (mostly Marvel, I have a full run of X-men).

Dude, you're the one who has over 40,000 comics, right?  That's a badge of honor around here.  :)

i have been thinking of that a lot recently--of how it was and the general acceptance of peoples oddity's at the modern con's

Me too.  I've been starting my crusade that the world can call me of a nerd --or-- they can attend comic con/see the Avengers/etc, but not both.   :P
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:18:07 PM by Chris Chen »

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »
Weird. I know girls know who claim "nerd" status since it's "cool" now to be a gamer chick or whatever and they think it makes them hot. That and all the people who wear non-prescription glasses. It's funny that Hollywood always thinks that the girl is suddenly hot when she removes her glasses but I've always thought the opposite that putting the glasses on makes them look hotter.

Anyways, hi and welcome to everyone. :D

And rather than introduce myself, I'll just let my random posts and comments in the various threads paint the overall picture of who...or what...I am. ;)
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
The glasses thing happens with guys too. I had a girl that I really liked say "Wow, you're actually cute without you glasses." I don't see how that works as I get all squinty eyed without them on, but to each their own.

And yes I am the guy with about 40k comics. I have a 8'x12' stoarge locker full of comic long boxes. ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:55:04 PM by Kevin Rutan »