Author Topic: A word about Meet-ups & Social interactions at Con  (Read 16645 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: A word about Meet-ups & Social interactions at Con
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh yes, CES is one of the worst for networking! It's the place to be if you're an extrovert.

CES is a different kind of show.  It's a trade fair.  Industry shows are nothing like fan conventions.  The goals are different.  Fan cons are there to have fun.  Industry shows are there to do business.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2023, 08:18:41 PM »
Please take the time to be gentle with other folks. A great majority of us in the geek community have some social quirk or anxiety's, please understand and give folks room. [member=4351]corgikohmander[/member] published a pro tip recently that really struck home with me

He is my spirit animal. I'm the exact same way. Especially with names. I always feel terrible when I can't remember someone's name.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:54:25 PM »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2023, 08:22:03 PM »
He is my spirit animal. I'm the exact same way. Especially with names. I always feel terrible when I can't remember someone's name.

Totally understand, as I get older just can’t remember as much as I use to, and that included names. At all of our meet ups we will have name badges to help, I’m so thankful for this  :47:
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline imecoli

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 10:05:29 AM »
Striking up a conversation with those in line generally helps pass the time. from my experience, myself being an extravert, have encountered both types of people and realize when someone isn't really comfortable. that's when you graciously end the conversation and move on. it was also interesting in Hall H line on Sunday morning. everyone brings out all the leftover fruit and muffins to distribute to those in line... well I know I always did. that last couple years however, with the lack of lines, I would give them to the increasing numbers of homeless.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2024, 12:27:23 PM »
I adore this at cons.  I, too, have made friends while standing in line, simply by noting something about a person standing around me.  Once I told someone I would really, really, REALLY like that Orville book he was holding.  I didn't get the book, but I gained a friend.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 12:58:04 PM »
I'm also introverted. It's so nice to see other fellow introverts on the forum. I'll be much more at ease now at the next FoCC meet-up.