Author Topic: How much do you spend on a Cosplay? Newbee questions  (Read 9602 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: How much do you spend on a Cosplay? Newbee questions
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »
after today, i think i'm just going to order the holster & gun for the character i want to do. I am looking forward to it as long as we don't have another hot summer! I can see myself wearing it for the day.

thanks for helping me feel better about the expense. besides i've always wanted a low holster & blaster  ;)

the picture thing is going to be weird tho

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 06:15:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
after today, i think i'm just going to order the holster & gun for the character i want to do. I am looking forward to it as long as we don't have another hot summer! I can see myself wearing it for the day.

thanks for helping me feel better about the expense. besides i've always wanted a low holster & blaster  ;)

the picture thing is going to be weird tho

If you're spending the day inside (e.g. in Hall H or Ballroom 20) then a slightly heavier costume is good. It can get quite chilly in those rooms!

Also, there are fewer picture requests in panel rooms. You get the most walking the halls or the exhibit floor.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:44:32 AM »

Online foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
Cheapest costume about $150.  Most expensive about $2,000.  How much I spend depends largely on how important that particular costume is to me.  I'll go cheap if its relatively unrecognizable character but it will be comfortable to wear and its something I'll only wear once or twice.  I go expensive for something recognizable that I'll keep wearing for a very long time.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
oh fudge, i just thought of something, that holster is going to make my hips look even bigger then they already are
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 02:01:03 PM »
oh fudge, i just thought of something, that holster is going to make my hips look even bigger then they already are

The things we do for cosplay. I actually wear pants for my TWD costume, and they make my hips look huuuuugee! Fortunately, most people aren't looking at my hips in that costume, but my wig and my jacket.

Offline lborgia88

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »
I think that three of my cosplays cost me about $450 each, what with purchasing fabric, felt, boots, gloves, belts, other clothes, wigs, helmets, masks, glue, rubber cement, paint, brushes, paint thinner, sandpaper, putty, eva foam, craft foam, pins, thread, velcro, fasteners, tinted plastic film, duct tape, pipe insulation, artificial roses, a dress form, a mannequin head, a knit cap, an exacto knife and extra blades, a board to use for cutting, gluing and painting on so I don't destroy a table, paying tailors to sew costumes, paying a guy to make a one-off transfer and then apply it to the chest of one of my costumes...  it all adds up!

But, all these expenses were spread out over about six-month periods, some of what I acquired is reusable for future projects, and I also had fun and some creative satisfaction with the whole process.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:08:09 PM by lborgia88 »

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 10:40:40 PM »
just as one needs fine clothing to attend church/court/wedding, one needs at least one good costume for costume parties. costume parties died out between 1983-1998 or so. but they are back. and you dont want this to happen:   

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 07:46:17 AM »
i have to say i am super glad spending $4-5 hundred on a cosplay isn't deemed crazy !! thank you all

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:29 AM »
i have to say i am super glad spending $4-5 hundred on a cosplay isn't deemed crazy !! thank you all

Oh please! People on this site spend way more than that on exclusives! And they don't get as much 'use' out of them... ;)

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
stormtrooper costume 800-1200 us dollars
darth vader or boba fett costume 5,000 us dollars

average "elite" bagged costume for "mere normals" 100-150 us dollars (these costumes look okay, but often start falling apart after 2-5 hours, one use only)

Online foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
You can get away with spending a lot less money if you take your time.  Some stuff you can't make yourself without an investment but you can make a lot of stuff by yourself and save money or you can look for deals on "B" grade parts that require more cleanup/time to fix.

As always, the cheap/fast/good rules apply

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 02:32:45 PM »
ok so i have to come up with a basic shirt that has a not normal neck treatment. I went on a cosplay site---OMG they're talking of dyeing fabric to match the exact shade of gray--and not just one post like pages of them  ??? ???

ok i'm not doing that, i don't do sewing machines unless they're pedal types, the electric ones go to fast. I'd end up sewing my fingers. I'd much rather use a circular saw then sew

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
ok so i have to come up with a basic shirt that has a not normal neck treatment. I went on a cosplay site---OMG they're talking of dyeing fabric to match the exact shade of gray--and not just one post like pages of them  ??? ???

ok i'm not doing that, i don't do sewing machines unless they're pedal types, the electric ones go to fast. I'd end up sewing my fingers. I'd much rather use a circular saw then sew

You could probably find someone local who does sewing out of their home for a fair price. Check local classifieds or ask around. I grew up in a tiny town (4,000 total population) and lots of people did sewing out of their homes for extra money.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »
What kind of neck treatment?

You could also consider making it a 2 piece shirt, depending on what it's supposed to look like and what might be covering it. Like a neck/shoulder piece and the 'under' shirt.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
You could probably find someone local who does sewing out of their home for a fair price. Check local classifieds or ask around. I grew up in a tiny town (4,000 total population) and lots of people did sewing out of their homes for extra money.
oh yeah there's a couple of good seamstresses around. but i'm still hopeful that i can find the shirt in the wild.  I just wish i knew i wanted this when i was in vietnam- i had fited dresses made for $40