Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26679 times)

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you'd have asked me in January where I thought this was going, I wouldn't have told you we'd all be stuck at home and businesses would all be closed. I did not see this coming. So, if things are fine in July, I'd go. I'm pessimistic, though. I think the pandemic will still be there, especially if  we go down the path our country's leadership is taking. I was wrong in January. Maybe I'm wrong right now.
There will be no cure, vaccine, or tests for the average person by July, so what conclusion does that tell us. If they say 75K+ infected now in the US without tests for everyone, what do you think the number really is?

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
Also I think many are watching this as a black and white situation, maybe in july we wont be in a bad spot, maybe in a gray area where we are relatively fine but only need one massive gathering for the problem to gain strenght and spread again... with no vaccine and no treatment we cant have SDCC, for it to happen we must be in a great shape again, not just fine vs the virus

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
While there are a lot of 'no way' comments in this thread, I find it heartening to see that more than half of the votes are a variant of 'yes'. For all of you, I look forward to seeing you at SDCC this year, no matter how big or small, no matter when or where!

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
This poll shows that we are not taking this pandemic seriously. Until we do, it will get worse. 80k+ cases in the US and growing.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
Im assuming all the Yes votes are people that live in California.

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
I'm a yes, and I'm in PA.

I'm keeping a positive outlook here.  Maybe it's in my makeup.  But until it gets cancelled, I'm goin on the fact that it's still going on in some shape/form.  Whether it gets to be its usual 136K+ people or 1,300, tons of studios or just good ol' comics, SDCC has always been awesome.  Bring it on in whatever shape it will be.  Assuming it's on, I'm in.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
Dont get me wrong, I love SDCC and am supersad that I wont get to go this year (this would be my 5th) but you are not taking seriously this problem, the US is oficially epicenter of the pandemic and its only starting... dont be blind, its not about being optimistic (the world wont end) but its about everyone doing an effort to keep this controled not for just 4 months, but for a year or more when we finally get a vaccine and IF we get it

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
I started as a yes with disinfectants, but in reality I'm not so sure.  It's obvious there won't be a vaccine by July.  If it were just me, I'd probably still go (assuming its held), but I have to consider my wife.  We're both over 60 now and each year she send me off to SDCC (not her thing) and tells me to enjoy myself.  But if I get any hint that she's nervous about me bringing the virus back home, then I'll have to pass.  I'm very lucky to have her and she's very accommodating for my passions.  So I can't just think about myself.

Also, while 60% of the people here are currently still a yes, it's been pointed out that we are the diehards.  Have to wonder how the more casual congoer feels about all of this.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
A corollary pair of questions could be: if you're unwilling to go this year, and SDCC was still held as scheduled, how upset would you be, and on the flip side, if you still wanted to go, but SDCC cancelled, how upset would you be?

Me, I'm definitely leaning towards not wanting to go, but if SDCC still proceeded, I'd definitely have a bit of FOMO.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Even if comic-con was held as usual this year, without a vaccine I wouldn't go.  I can't risk my parents' lives.  It's too much of a risk.

I'm hoping it's just an issue this year.  This could impact 2021 as well.  18 months for a vaccine to be approved and deployed is optimistic.

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
My room-mate and I have been going together for the last 10 years, but neither of us intends to go this year (even though she lives in San Diego county). I wouldn't be upset if the con was held despite the current situation, but I think SDCC would be irresponsible to do so. I am waiting to see if there is an option to roll my badge over to next year; if not, I'll just cancel.

Right now I have a half dozen family members in NYC, one in Dallas, and an 80-year-old mother who lives alone a couple hours away from me. My son and his fiancé just postponed the May wedding they've been planning for the last 9 months. There are way bigger things to worry about right now than SDCC. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
My room-mate and I have been going together for the last 10 years, but neither of us intends to go this year (even though she lives in San Diego county). I wouldn't be upset if the con was held despite the current situation, but I think SDCC would be irresponsible to do so. I am waiting to see if there is an option to roll my badge over to next year; if not, I'll just cancel.

Right now I have a half dozen family members in NYC, one in Dallas, and an 80-year-old mother who lives alone a couple hours away from me. My son and his fiancé just postponed the May wedding they've been planning for the last 9 months. There are way bigger things to worry about right now than SDCC.

Postponing a wedding.  I didn't think of that.  Sorry to hear that.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
Even if comic-con was held as usual this year, without a vaccine I wouldn't go.  I can't risk my parents' lives.  It's too much of a risk.

This is exactly where I'm at. I still don't know what the best option for SDCC to pick is (though I'm leaning towards "cancel"), and I'd hate to miss it, even if the con is greatly reduced in size this year, but I'm just not willing to risk it on account of the people who are 60+ that I'm close to.

Offline Jason

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
Changed my vote to no. Both my friend I usually attend with and my wife are not willing to risk it. I was planning on 2020 being my last SDCC, but I can push that to 2021. Getting to attend a Funko FunDays is on my bucket list, but no Funko exclusive is worth the risk.

I don’t think it will be a concern though. Governor Newsom will probably shut down large gatherings for the rest of the year, meaning SDCC has no choice. CCI can keep my money and roll it to 2021 if they want. The only people who don’t want badges to roll over are people who missed days for this year anyway.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Im assuming all the Yes votes are people that live in California.

Nope. East coast for me and I was the first vote and I'm a senior and I'm not changing my vote.   :)

I'm going to express an opinion that may not be popular.  Things will start to open up in the next few weeks, because results will shift in favor of going that way.   I'm not saying this isn't serious.  I'm saying there will be more cases reported of people recovering.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:12:17 AM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!