Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Volunteering Thread  (Read 42883 times)

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
Re: SDCC 2018 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »
Curious, do they have volunteers staffed during Preview Night?
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Curious, do they have volunteers staffed during Preview Night?

From what i have read, they may have some but not many since a short nite before most traffic is thurs to sun. pn is like from 6-8 or 9 only. reading comments i think they mention they have some mon to wed doing variety of jobs, but most volunteer work is thurs to sun. i can only go by what i have read of comments but guessing some will clarify if any i not know about since only had chance to do so last year and do so again this year, so im like still a rookie i guess lol and just go by what i have been told or read.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #227 on: Today at 04:40:44 AM »

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
From what i have read, they may have some but not many since a short nite before most traffic is thurs to sun. pn is like from 6-8 or 9 only. reading comments i think they mention they have some mon to wed doing variety of jobs, but most volunteer work is thurs to sun. i can only go by what i have read of comments but guessing some will clarify if any i not know about since only had chance to do so last year and do so again this year, so im like still a rookie i guess lol and just go by what i have been told or read.

You ask, and I shall post! PN used to be one of the busiest nights for volunteers.  Back then, registration took place at both the convention center and Town & Country hotel. So many volunteers were needed for T&C registration. In fact, if you worked PN at T&C (the standard 3 hour shift) they would give you 2, yes, 2 free days, instead of the normal 1. This also was the time when returning volunteers were allowed to attend PN. Anyways, now that we have the RFID badges and they're mostly shipped to your home, registration at T&C and subsequent high amount of volunteers are no longer needed.

Anyways, there are still some volunteers needed Preview Day (again Preview DAY that Wednesday) but usually by that evening, everything is done. There still may be the occasional volunteer needed to help with line management, but I haven't heard much of that in the past few years. Now staffers usually have a mandatory meeting for Preview Night. So they are required to attend that, but that's about the extent of it all.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:30:32 PM by Jonathan »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »
I can see or mite be wrong but pre con shift is only wed i am guessing. and with it being a short nite then not sure how many volunteers they try have for the nite. it nice they let u do so ea day so u can enjoy the event while it is around all week and weekend. i was thinking maybe try come down when they start setting up the offsites, kinda like a pre con field trip so to speak. like watching a house being built but from a distance of course so not be yelled for safety and all. just ideas till i actually know i can do so at time lol.
I have done both Tues and Wednesday pre con shifts. I have stuffed and folded bags for the majority of my pre con shifts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
I wonder,but mite be a crazy idea and that is do u think they would ever try to have comic con be more days then what they do now? i mean it might help spread out the crowed some if was able to have it for more days then just a few. so was just a thought. some that may or may never happen for any reason im guessing.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
I wonder,but mite be a crazy idea and that is do u think they would ever try to have comic con be more days then what they do now?
They already have.  It's called WonderCon!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:27:43 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
They already have.  It's called WonderCon!

That's exactly what I was going to post.  They could expand WonderCon and make it a duplicate of comic-con.  Restrict attendees to only one and thus double the number of people that can attend.  Of course there are issues.  It's not cheap for a company to go to a trade show.  Especially those big booths and big offsites.  So I'm not sure if many companies will want to do it twice.  Although many already do it for multiple cons a year.  So it would just be one more.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
I try to leave comments to help and sometimes i tend to repeat answers. and so i read and think and cool to get answers to what we think or inguire about at anytime. so if wondercon is to help extend the days, why is it Comic con has like more days then wondercon kinda? i try not to ask lame questions but i dont if anyone has ever asked this kinda stuff before. sorry , i tend to think and wonder about stuff too much sometimes. and try not waste space at the same time.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »
Tbh. Comic-Con barely seems to be able to fully staff current run of days.  The last WonderCon,  CCI even reopened the Volunteer shifts You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:36:05 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline quixotichoco

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
I try to leave comments to help and sometimes i tend to repeat answers. and so i read and think and cool to get answers to what we think or inguire about at anytime. so if wondercon is to help extend the days, why is it Comic con has like more days then wondercon kinda? i try not to ask lame questions but i dont if anyone has ever asked this kinda stuff before. sorry , i tend to think and wonder about stuff too much sometimes. and try not waste space at the same time.
At the risk of sounding like an ass, I think you got super off topic and like maybe start a post in the general discussion thread? You seem to have a lot of thoughts and ideas but I'm trying to stay relevant and learn/answer questions about volunteering :)

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
I have done both Tues and Wednesday pre con shifts. I have stuffed and folded bags for the majority of my pre con shifts.

This is one of the most common pre-con shifts that take place on Wednesday aka Preview Day. It didn't used to be, but when I walk around the convention center that day, that's about all I see. Volunteers folding the WB bags into quarters, hiding the front and the pin (based off of last year of course, since it was the first year they did that)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:34:44 PM by Jonathan »

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »
This is one of the most common pre-con shifts that take place on Wednesday aka Preview Day. It didn't used to be, but when I walk around the convention center that day, that's about all I see. Volunteers folding the WB bags into quarters, hiding the front and the pin (based off of last year of course, since it was the first year they did that)

What were some of the other pre con shifts? This will be my first year volunteering and I want to do a pre con shifts so trying to get a good picture of what that would entail.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2018, 08:11:15 PM »
What were some of the other pre con shifts? This will be my first year volunteering and I want to do a pre con shifts so trying to get a good picture of what that would entail.

There are many various pre-con shifts. As stated above, folding the bags is one of them, handing out the bags is another job. Then there is on-site registration, moving boxes for different departments, ticket ripping into strips, information booth, and other random jobs with registration. These are just some. I don't know every single job, but these are a majority of them.

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »
There are many various pre-con shifts. As stated above, folding the bags is one of them, handing out the bags is another job. Then there is on-site registration, moving boxes for different departments, ticket ripping into strips, information booth, and other random jobs with registration. These are just some. I don't know every single job, but these are a majority of them.

Thanks for your help Jonathan, now just have to hope that I see the pre con email in time to register.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »
Thanks for your help Jonathan, now just have to hope that I see the pre con email in time to register.
Good Luck! I know I have always enjoyed my pre con shift and hope that I also see it in time.

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23