Author Topic: RFID Wondercon  (Read 7077 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: RFID Wondercon
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At Talkback, someone suggested that instead of lanyards, this year CCI give out those 'extension clips' that attach to a belt or pocket. That way people could pull out the badges and tap them easily. That suggestion was met by a lot of applause, and John Rogers took note.
Theoretically one could do this on their own, right?  There's nothing that forces an attendee to use the official lanyard for the badge.  Heck, there have been years when on Sunday they run out of lanyards so you either have to pin them to you the old fashion method or use your own device if you brought one with you.  I guess I would suggest if you like the extension clip maybe you should do this on your own if you feel the regular lanyard doesn't work for you

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
Theoretically one could do this on their own, right?  There's nothing that forces an attendee to use the official lanyard for the badge.  Heck, there have been years when on Sunday they run out of lanyards so you either have to pin them to you the old fashion method or use your own device if you brought one with you.  I guess I would suggest if you like the extension clip maybe you should do this on your own if you feel the regular lanyard doesn't work for you

Agreed! After all, I never use the provided lanyard, but use he FoCC one instead. Maybe we'll have to transition to a FoCC extension clip.... ;)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:14:47 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
Agreed! After all, I never use the provided lanyard, but use he FoCC one instead. Maybe we'll have to transition to a FoCC extension clip.... ;)

I'm totally up for that.  [member=1]alyssa[/member], a new merchandise idea (to be discussed after the hotel lottery), perhaps?  ^__~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 01:08:31 PM »
i'll see what i can do.....  the reason for doing teh green slime round of lanyards has arrived <wink>
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 01:47:03 PM »
The RFID badges worked well for the most part. There was one incident where my and my wife's badge scanned red instead of green and we had to re-scan, but that was about it. Everything else seemed to run pretty smooth. I'm not sure how this will work at SDCC, though. During lunch, it'll probably create a massive bottleneck... and I honestly can't see this going well during opening when people are rushing the floor for exclusives.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 11:46:13 PM »
Do you guys think they will have portable scanners? For instance if you ever go to concert venues, they have these small portable scanners that scan the tickets when you walk in. Because I agree, for those rushing to buy exclusives or even for the lines entering Hall H and other rooms, there'd be a huge bottleneck. If it's possible they should pre-scan the badges as ppl are waiting in line to help alleviate any bottlenecks.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »
At WonderCon they were all 'fixed' scanners, except at the Microsoft Theater, where they had the iPad things. So maybe at SDCC they would have the 'fixed' things at the entrances to the convention center, and the iPad things at Hall H?

Offline Sassindog

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »
Two of the four adults of my party had badges that didn't work on the first day. They were pretty understanding at most of the scanners. I also experienced a complete malfunctions of entire sets of scanners where they re routed us to other exits and entrances. A little inconvenient, but not a huge issue. There was a little delay waiting for all the kids who wanted to "scan in and out" even though their badge was not RFID (my own kids included!).

I only see this being a huge problem at Comic Con with getting into preview night and on the floor first thing in the morning. Otherwise Im thinking it won't be so bad!

Offline Poggledoo

• Sails Pavilion
  • Message me to trade SDCC swag!
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 01:27:24 AM »
I really hope that Wondercon managed to be a good place to work out all the links for the tens of thousands of people more that will be three for SDCC.  Hopefully they'll have enough scanners both stationary and mobile.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 06:49:06 AM »
Based on all the comments I am going to buy an extension clip for SDCC.  Found one on Etsy that is of Captain America's shield:

Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 08:24:14 AM »
Based on all the comments I am going to buy an extension clip for SDCC.  Found one on Etsy that is of Captain America's shield:

We may look into getting some Friends of Comic Con ones... for the official store.  Right, [member=1]alyssa[/member]?

^__~
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:32:10 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 08:26:06 AM »
We may looking into getting some Friends of Comic Con ones... for the official store.  Right, [member=1]alyssa[/member]?

^__~

yes, but there's a small hurdle i need to leap before i can say definitively

CCI did say at the talk back that they would be raising the height of the tap in things
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline dunkaroos

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »
At Talkback, someone suggested that instead of lanyards, this year CCI give out those 'extension clips' that attach to a belt or pocket. That way people could pull out the badges and tap them easily. That suggestion was met by a lot of applause, and John Rogers took note.

Yes that was me, specifically I was referring to the retractable badge holders on lanyards like NYCC has done in the past. I'm cannibalizing that old one to make myself a new lanyard for SDCC. Here's a photo of that lanyard that I stole from the internet because mine is in pieces now:

Shouldn't be any easier to steal or lose the badge than it has in the past.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »
Yes that was me, specifically I was referring to the retractable badge holders on lanyards like NYCC has done in the past. I'm cannibalizing that old one to make myself a new lanyard for SDCC. Here's a photo of that lanyard that I stole from the internet because mine is in pieces now:

Shouldn't be any easier to steal or lose the badge than it has in the past.

Ohhhh, yes.  I like this idea.

It also makes me wonder if Comic-Con have something similar now that they've shifted to RFID badges...

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 01:52:57 AM »
The tapping in/out for us worked every day. The only issue I ran into was when I tried to tap too soon after the person in front of me. (showed red so I had to re-tap). They had issues at the Microsoft theaters one day since there was only one portable scanner but seems to have been sorted out by the second day. My biggest issue was the way the scanners were set up on a rubber mat that was slightly elevated and I would trip on it every freaking time (I have mobility issues with one leg in particular so I have trouble with raised ledges like that).