Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127633 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1170 on: July 09, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »
Was Israel ahead of the U.S. in vaccinations?  I thought the U.K. was first before us.  Me and my family were vaccinated in March/April.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1171 on: July 09, 2021, 11:29:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Was Israel ahead of the U.S. in vaccinations?  I thought the U.K. was first before us.  Me and my family were vaccinated in March/April.

Israel, the UK and the US all started effectively at the same time.  Within a couple of weeks of one another.  The UK is also planning on a 3rd dose for the fully vaccinated over 50.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1172 on: Today at 02:37:12 AM »

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #1172 on: July 10, 2021, 11:39:10 PM »
Israel, the UK and the US all started effectively at the same time.  Within a couple of weeks of one another.  The UK is also planning on a 3rd dose for the fully vaccinated over 50.
The UK is to start a trial on 3rd doses in all approved vaccinations. It will be for a small selected group of individuals. Not a full scale roll out.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1173 on: July 11, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »
The UK is to start a trial on 3rd doses in all approved vaccinations. It will be for a small selected group of individuals. Not a full scale roll out.

That's different from what I was referring to.  There are all sorts of clinical trials with the vaccines going on all around the world.  Not least of which are the clinical trials which were used for the EUAs.  Those trials haven't completed yet.  The new ones that have gotten the most press are the ones looking into mixing the different vaccines.  So first dose from one maker and then the second dose from another.

The NHS is planning for a large scale roll out of a third dose for anyone 50 and over as well as other immunosuppressed people of other ages.  It's estimated that will be 30 million people in the UK.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #1174 on: July 11, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »
Pfizer will meet with U.S. health officials as soon as Monday to discuss the possibility of boosters.  Pfizer says boosters need to be administered within 6-12 months of the initial two-shot regimen to fight against the variants, Dr. Anthony Fauci disagrees saying the two-shot regimen is sufficient and that boosters are not needed now.

SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1175 on: July 11, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »
Pfizer will meet with U.S. health officials as soon as Monday to discuss the possibility of boosters.  Pfizer says boosters need to be administered within 6-12 months of the initial two-shot regimen to fight against the variants, Dr. Anthony Fauci disagrees saying the two-shot regimen is sufficient and that boosters are not needed now.

Yeah, this feels like "Pfizer trying to stay ahead of the curve," and especially with the older population with lower immunity systems anyway, this doesn't seem like a bad thing.  Like, I think at this moment with the data we have, BOTH of the sides are right

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1176 on: July 11, 2021, 11:51:11 PM »
Yeah, this feels like "Pfizer trying to stay ahead of the curve," and especially with the older population with lower immunity systems anyway, this doesn't seem like a bad thing.  Like, I think at this moment with the data we have, BOTH of the sides are right

In a pandemic, you want to stay ahead of the curve.  We were perpetually behind the curve last year.  That didn't work out well for us.  It wasn't until last week that I heard Fauci give a solid answer to the question of whether fully vaccinated people can catch and spread covid.  Previously he gave a round about answer that concluded it was extremely unlikely.  This even though there have been documented cases of breakthroughs since the start of vaccinations.  Last week I heard him give a straightforward "Yes" when asked that question before continuing on with his normal answer.

My thoughts on the spat at the end of last week are two fold.  First and foremost, the CDC and FDA want to make sure that everyone knows who's the boss.  They seem upset that Pfizer/BioNTech didn't get approval from them to announce that they intend to ask for approval from them.  Which makes no sense.  Drug companies announce they are going to seek approval all the time.  Pfizer/BioNTech didn't say they were going to jab people.  They don't do that.  They said they were going to seek approval for a third dose.  So they got dinged for not seeking approval to ask for approval.

Two, the powers that be are upset about the messaging.  It's hard enough to get about 40% of the US population to get even 1 shot.  Now you are telling them they need to get 3.

So the government seems to be falling back on it has to be an existing problem before proceeding.  Isn't that what we did about a year and a half ago?  That would mean people getting sick and dying.  Since the government is also falling back on it's end point that the vaccines are only about preventing serious illness and death.  Nothing else.  Which hinders our ability to judge the situation.  Since we don't care we don't track breakthrough infections with no or mild symptoms.

If we wait for the problem to happen before acting, we'll be behind the curve again.  I don't see how Pfizer/BioNTech trying to seek approval, which is going to take a while, isn't a good thing.  If we do need it, we'll be prepared.  If we don't need it, what did we lose?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1177 on: July 12, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
Israel started their 3rd dose vaccinations yesterday.

Also, it turns out you can get one covid strain and then catch another covid strain at the same time.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #1178 on: July 14, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
Many experts interviewed by The New York Times agree the current Covid-19 vaccines are effective against the Delta variant and that some have felt it was irresponsible for Pfizer to insist that booster shots are needed saying they have caused people to have unnecessary serious doubts about the shots they got.

Speaking for myself, I know that pharmaceutical companies may say things with their bottom line in mind.

D23 Expo 2017

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1179 on: July 14, 2021, 02:37:37 PM »
Many experts interviewed by The New York Times agree the current Covid-19 vaccines are effective against the Delta variant and that some have felt it was irresponsible for Pfizer to insist that booster shots are needed saying they have caused people to have unnecessary serious doubts about the shots they got.

Speaking for myself, I know that pharmaceutical companies may say things with their bottom line in mind.

I think one thing both the pro-vaccine/science folks and the anti-vaccine folks can agree with is the Federal messaging for 16 months has been bad: or at best "inconsistent."  I fancy myself somewhat of a logic-minded fellow, and I'll admit it's been incredibly difficult to balance the lines of "Pfizer is acting to stay ahead of the impending disaster that we'll ABSOLUTELY be headed for due to so many idiots who refuse to take the vaccine because of partisan politics" and "of course a billion dollar a year industry like pharmaceuticals, one I loathe for its price gouging, is pushing booster shots for billions of more in profit."
I do think, however, a good bottom line to remember is this:
COVID, similar to the flu, is a constantly mutating virus.  The _ONLY_ way to truly beat this is for the vast majority of folks to get vaccinated so the virus has virtually zero humans to gestate and mutate within.  With that clearly not happening anytime soon, the next-best-thing might be to think of this like the annual flu vaccine (something I have admittedly never gotten, since as a not-elderly or infirm teacher with a typically awesome immune system from being around wind instrument-playing band kids all the time) that needs constant updates to keep us safe.  Right now data suggests the RNA vaccines at least are holding strong against the Delta variant, but that could change as 1) more US cases are reported and studied and 2) COVID mutates in a way that is stronger to fight against the current vaccine.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1180 on: July 14, 2021, 04:14:38 PM »
My perspective on boosters is:

--The virus is literally evolving.  There will be variants after delta of varying resistance to the vaccines.

--They developed the vaccines at ludacris speed so we didn't get the benefits of all the things they do in a normal development cycle.

--It is only very recently that a decent chunk of the population has been vaccinated so they are still gathering data.

--There's another chunk of the population that is never going to get the vaccine so that will add a wildcard.

All of this combined means that scientists are still learning about the virus and what will be safe in this new world.  I hope boosters aren't required but I will gladly get them if needed.

Just my perspective.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1181 on: July 15, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »
On the 1 month anniversary of California lifting it's mask mandate, LA announced that it will be reinstating an indoor mask mandate for both the unvaccinated and the fully vaccinated.

The number of cases are up about 500% in LA.  Unfortunately we aren't that far behind in San Diego.  After hovering at around 100 new cases a day for a long time, we're up to about 300 new cases a day since the mask mandate was lifted.  Public health in SD started having daily covid briefings again this week.

I understand that.  Some experts have brought up the same point.  But in this case Pfizer will sell every single dose they can make.  There's no extra money to be made, third dose or not they will sell whatever they can make.  While we have a glut of vaccines in the US, the world is still desperately short of vaccine.  Which is another reason many experts are against a third dose.  Most of the world still has not received a first dose, how can we justify giving some people a third.

If Pfizer was that motivated by the bottom line, they would have taken money from the US government to develop the covid vaccine.  Who turns down free money?  They didn't.  Operation Warp Speed is often credited for making covid vaccines a reality so quickly.  But the first covid vaccine, BioNTech/Pfizer, was developed with no help from that program.  Operation Warp Speed was involved in the distribution of it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:23:40 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #1182 on: July 15, 2021, 08:02:10 PM »
I agree with Dr. Fauci's position that the 3rd booster shot is probably not needed yet for majority of the vaccinated people. Studies have shown the neutralizing antibodies seem like they can last for a few years. They should definitely provide a 3rd jab for immunocompromised people and the elderly in case their antibodies aren't as long-lasting or as strong.

I'm a big pro-vax and pro-mask person but I don't understand the point of needing to purchase a new booster when our fed gov't still has 200 million+ original vaccines. As far as I know, the new booster formula is focused only on the beta variant which isn't prevalent in our country or other countries except maybe South Africa. I haven't seen studies showing that this booster shot will be more effective against the delta variant compared to the original vaccine. I'm sure all vaccinated will need a booster shot in the future but we need to improve our vaccine tech first, meaning we need to see if we can catch up with the right formula towards the right variant and also understand the side effects better so we can treat those who experience bad side effects from the vaccine.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1183 on: July 16, 2021, 09:01:37 AM »
On the 1 month anniversary of California lifting it's mask mandate, LA announced that it will be reinstating an indoor mask mandate for both the unvaccinated and the fully vaccinated.

The number of cases are up about 500% in LA.
Welp, there goes in trying to get more people vaccinated now.

Hi Forum! Checking in after a long time away. Went to SDCC 2012-2019. Taking baby steps back into SDCC world - like many of you it's been a helluva pandemic. I was laid off April 2020, haven't been working since.  A few of you may remember my son Will, he attended SDCC with Kelly and I in 2015. Last Nov. he was diagnosed with Stage IV kidney cancer.  They removed a large bump from the back of his head which had broken through his skull - it was a cancer tumor which contained kidney cells. Now has a plate as the back of his head but the little bit of hair he has covers it.  Large tumor on kidney, tumors in liver and spine. He is 28yrs old and is not expected to live past this year but we all keep hoping he has more time. Thank you to all the Forum members who were so kind to him when you met him. SDCC was an amazing experience for him.
I'm trying to reconnect with others but I'm living in such a dark vortex it's hard to remember how to be with people so I'll just say Hello and I guess I'm hoping to rejoin the community...Awkwardly, which is how I do most things.
I am so sorry to hear that about your son. Like others have said on here, I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers too.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1184 on: July 16, 2021, 09:27:01 AM »
Welp, there goes in trying to get more people vaccinated now.
To be fair, I think the stubborn cusses who refuse to get vaccinated weren't going to suddenly do it just to not wear a mask: these were the same fools protesting wearing masks last summer.  I think _maybe_ a way to get more stubborn people vaccinated is to make it incredibly difficult to do 'fun' stuff w/out vaccinations: bars & nightclubs; sporting events; concerts, etc. requiring proof of vaccination.  Newsom isn't going to do that w/the recall looming in September.

We have to face facts that we live in a country where roughly half of the political spectrum is pro-COVID (or so in denial) and hope they don't screw it up for the rest of us by continuing to let COVID mutate so much the vaccine is meaningless and we're back to square one.