Author Topic: 2020 SDCC is officially cancelled_POLL _Transfer or Refund?  (Read 11626 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: 2020 SDCC is officially cancelled_POLL _Transfer or Refund?
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2020, 08:41:22 PM »

It’s somehow more real now that Google has it in the search results.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »
The cancellation was also a multi ticker on CNN.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 02:27:25 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2020, 10:18:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So I was thinking about this. First of all I am so thankful that SDCC is letting us roll over our badges!!! Now the govenor of Ca I believe has been stating that Large group events may not be possible until fall of 2021 or even into 2022.

The governor needs to take a course in economics.  California will be in a world of hurt economically by the end of this year.  If he thinks they'll be able to survive suspending all events into 2021, let alone 2022, he's living on another planet (IMO)!!!
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2020, 07:18:22 AM »
The governor needs to take a course in economics.  California will be in a world of hurt economically by the end of this year.  If he thinks they'll be able to survive suspending all events into 2021, let alone 2022, he's living on another planet (IMO)!!!

The state of hurt would be worse if this thing spiked again and we have to go on total lockdown again.

Offline SyndE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2020, 08:20:29 AM »
Rolling over badge for sure. Glad that OnPeak will be refunding my entire Early Bird Hotel cost. Looks like I may take a $150 hit on American Airlines to put my miles back into my account though. Currently waiting for a call back on that.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
The cancellation was also a multi ticker on CNN.
My local news mentioned it, too. Made it even more real. :(

I will be requesting a transfer! When my husband saw the news, he proclaimed "Let it roll!" He's such a goofball.
Ang

Offline SyndE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
Rolling over badge for sure. Glad that OnPeak will be refunding my entire Early Bird Hotel cost. Looks like I may take a $150 hit on American Airlines to put my miles back into my account though. Currently waiting for a call back on that.

Hey, good news if you're flying American - no charge to put miles back in account, and I'm even getting the $11 in taxes back.

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2020, 09:15:19 AM »
I’ll be requesting a transfer as will my husband and our friend. Happy that they did the right thing but disappointed that now we have to accept the reality of it actually not happening this year. Gonna be weird, this was going to be 10 in a row.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
so are you thinking that the health of the people trumps money.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
My friends and I will be requesting transfers, but for my friends, they’re kinda screwed. This year they could only make one day, since they have a newborn. So they only got Sunday. They were gonna skip altogether, but they wanted to be able to do Returning Reg next year. But now they will only have Sunday for next year, unless there will be another badge sale and they get really lucky.

Of course, there was no way they could’ve anticipated this scenario or prepared for it. But still, I do feel bad for them.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2020, 12:27:49 PM »
so are you thinking that the health of the people trumps money.
My statement was in reference to the length of time the Governor thinks he can keep the economy of his state shut down.  A LOT can happen in two years.

All levels of government (Federal, State, City) require revenue.  Government revenue comes from multiple streams.  Income tax, sales tax are two of those streams.  States then turn those streams around to pay for those services we take for granted.  Law Enforcement, Roads, sanitation, etc.  If those streams are cut back, then government starts cutting back on those services.  It's already happening, and it's starting to show.  Towns in my state are cutting worker's hours. 

Income tax and sales tax come from us.  People who work.  If people aren't working, they're not paying income tax.  If people aren't working, they're not purchasing goods and services (Hotels, Restaurants, retailers, etc), which result in sales taxes.

The only way the Governor of California can realistically shut down the economy of his state thru 2022, is if he has a reserve that will cover ALL state expenses for that period of time.  I seriously doubt California, or any state for that matter, has that much in reserve.  If he plans to keep to his actions, then California is looking at cutting state services. 

Let's not forget who is most impacted by the shut down.  All the people that need to work for a living.  All the waiters,  Hotel employees in San Diego to name a few. All the small businesses that we patronize.  Support from unemployment goes only so far.  Believe me, I know.  The stimulus cannot support every American for a long stretch of time.   

As for the virus itself, I believe a few things...

A LOT More people will recover than die.  A LOT More...  In my state, even if you're showing symptoms, they don't want you to go to the hospital unless you're showing signs of shortness of breath.  We won't know the actual survival rate for a while, but I still believe it will be higher than initially 'predicted'.

While people hold out hope for a vaccine, I think treatment will come a lot sooner than a vaccine.  That will increase the rate of recovery significantly.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2020, 02:46:35 PM »
My statement was in reference to the length of time the Governor thinks he can keep the economy of his state shut down.  A LOT can happen in two years.

A lot can happen in 2 years, but he didn't say we would keep up with social distancing no matter what happens.

The economy is not shut down.  It's slowed down and shifted to a home based economy supported by tech.  As the center of tech in the United States, California will benefit from that more than other states.

All levels of government (Federal, State, City) require revenue.  Government revenue comes from multiple streams.  Income tax, sales tax are two of those streams.  States then turn those streams around to pay for those services we take for granted.  Law Enforcement, Roads, sanitation, etc.  If those streams are cut back, then government starts cutting back on those services.

Yes they do come from multiple sources, losing any source hurts.  But all those things you listed as examples of services that will be cut are funded mostly by property and car registration taxes.  Not income or sales tax.  Income tax is not dropping to zero.  Even if we hit a 25% unemployment rate, 75% of people will still be earning an income and paying income tax.  As these things go, higher income earners and payers will probably keep their jobs since they can do office work remotely.  It's lower income people who can't work remotely which unfortunately will be the ones out of work.

We do not want to this to happen.  This is worse than keeping social distancing.  Both economically and in terms of lives lost.  During the Spanish flu some cities kept up with social distancing, others did not.  It was not good to be living in a city that did not.  In terms of covid, we are in that little bump on the left.  We are trying to avoid that big bump in the middle.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »
A lot can happen in 2 years, but he didn't say we would keep up with social distancing no matter what happens.

The economy is not shut down.  It's slowed down and shifted to a home based economy supported by tech.  As the center of tech in the United States, California will benefit from that more than other states.

Yes they do come from multiple sources, losing any source hurts.  But all those things you listed as examples of services that will be cut are funded mostly by property and car registration taxes.  Not income or sales tax.  Income tax is not dropping to zero.  Even if we hit a 25% unemployment rate, 75% of people will still be earning an income and paying income tax.  As these things go, higher income earners and payers will probably keep their jobs since they can do office work remotely.  It's lower income people who can't work remotely which unfortunately will be the ones out of work.

We do not want to this to happen.  This is worse than keeping social distancing.  Both economically and in terms of lives lost.  During the Spanish flu some cities kept up with social distancing, others did not.  It was not good to be living in a city that did not.  In terms of covid, we are in that little bump on the left.  We are trying to avoid that big bump in the middle.

I'm with you. I am getting positive vibes from the governor. There are people out of work and that is sad, but we are not shut down. The people with jobs have higher incomes and pay a lot of the taxes. *Slow* will hurt economically, yes, but it is *slow* not *stop*, and he will ramp it up as he is able. Those states that are rushing to open are going to pay a heavy price, both in lives and economics. I'm nearly sure of it.

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2020, 02:09:56 PM »
SDCC being cancelled is tragic but unfortunately expected..

but not having to deal with 2021 registration? Now that's priceless. Badge rollover is the best possible tradeoff in this scenario

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2020, 02:59:10 PM »
SDCC being cancelled is tragic but unfortunately expected..

but not having to deal with 2021 registration? Now that's priceless. Badge rollover is the best possible tradeoff in this scenario

This may sound weird, but after I  signed up as a volunteer and also joined a badge buying group, I used to look forward to the 'anxiety' of the badge sale. 

Being a volunteer was my backup plan. 

Being part of a buying group was fun because either I helped someone, or they helped me.

To me it was all part of the Comic Con experience.

I know...there's something wrong with me... :)
Phasers on Stun!!!