Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Hotel Discussion  (Read 57939 times)

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 81
Re: SDCC 2022 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1020 on: July 26, 2022, 10:08:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Two things...

1.  I hope you do put your review of the Hard Rock on the hotel review thread

2.  Do we have dates for next year.  I want to see what MMM is charging.   :)

I will definitely leave a review, I just want to make sure I leave one that is helpful. I also contacted the hotel and I am waiting for a reply.
The dates for 2023 are July 20-23 with preview night on July 19th.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #1021 on: July 27, 2022, 10:28:22 AM »
Next years dates are one day shifted from this year (starting 7/19 for preview night, ending sunday 7/23).

Also hot tip for people who's blackout shades don't fully close and need complete darkness for sleep (like my vampire of a wife). Take one of the pants hangers that are almost always provided in hotels and use it to clip the blinds closed. We've done it multiple years and it's a really good tip.
I do this all the time, too!! I said once, "if only I had a clip", and a light bulb went off over DH's head, and he came out with one of the hangers. That is a great tip - thanks for sharing it!
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1022 on: Today at 11:22:07 PM »

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #1022 on: July 27, 2022, 10:32:35 AM »
FYI - I started the 2023 Hotel Discussion thread  ;D

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #1023 on: August 09, 2022, 02:58:55 PM »
FYI - I started the 2023 Hotel Discussion thread  ;D
and this thread is un-stickied
the 23 thread is stickied
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #1024 on: October 05, 2022, 11:01:38 PM »
Oh ok! I just didn't want to leave a long rant of a post lol. It's was just generally a bad experience at that hotel where the only good thing I can say about the hotel was that it was close to the con center. I can share a few highlights.
It started even before I checked in. I drove there and it was an adventure to get to valet. They didn't believe me that i was staying there. I had my email, reservation but i figured they were just being strict.Than upon check in they wanted to charge $25 a day for wifi and amenities like the pool, gym, 207 lounge etc. All those amenities are closed because some celebrities are staying there and some of those have been reserved for parties. I tild her that too and front desk agent just laughed. I have their rewards program and the front desk agent said she never heard of the program when i mentioned it to her. Her manager came and said the rewards program doesn't do anything . I am like ok well thanks for letting me know. Also we weren't allowed to wait in the lobby. I was waiting for a friend for dinner and the hotel staff said I can't wait in the lobby and sent me to my room. She says go back upstairs or wait outside! I've never stayed at a hotel where the lobby is forbidden to wait in. Day 2 I was only allowed to use 1 elevator because the other 2 were just for celebrities. I thought ok whatever but than the day of EW party they wouldn't me use any of the elevators to get to my room on the 7th floor. They told me to go to the other end of the hotel and use those or take the stairs. When I tried to take the car out they said they weren't taking valet calls because of the party. So I paid 50 a night to have my car trapped behind celebrities cars. Checkout time came and I asked for bell service and no one came. Called again and the guy said oh we forgot we are busy. At this point I just want to leave and get my car from valet but plot twist they aren't 0taking valet calls. So me and my group go downstairs finally get a guy to find our car. 3 trips up and down to get our stuff in the car. I should mentioned that I tried to checked out like 5 times and never got my bill. I finally get a txt 3 hours later saying I checked out. I will never stay at the Hardrock again. I will say that most people staying there were industry people but the hotel needs to decide if they want to be a celebrity hotel like The Pendry or a half assed hotel experience for us regular folks.
Edit to add that the hotel was insanely noisy at all times of the day! You know your hotel stay was bad when the noise level wasn't even the worst thing about the stay. And l never received my hotel folio. I emailed them already.

I know its a little late posting but I'm so sorry that experience happened to you. I always avoided hard rock off my list cuz of the noise level. But to go into detail of what type of customer service you experienced I would definitely have been speaking to management and not letting it go. For them not giving you a bill you can't even dispute claims. I for one would be hoping for that email on feedback and rating them a very low score. Also posting your negative experience on google/trip advisor/yelp or whatever platform they want reviews at. Maybe you could then get management and see if they could refund you part of your stay.

I understand celebrities stay at hotels but to just give them all the elevators especially on EW party night is ridiculous. The hotel has to let people with disabilities use those amenities. In addition, what if you had certain health conditions as a factor. Some people would not be able to take the stairs and climb that many floors. I would have definitely argued about those factors when they are blocking access.

And charging fees that you are not going to be using amenities like pool/gym  to use I would let management know that this is fraud and you would dispute that with your credit card company.

As for them telling you that you cannot wait in the lobby, I would have just stayed there and pretended that you didn't hear them. Pretend your on the phone or something. What exactly can they do if your waiting in the lobby, it's a free space and you are a guest staying at their resort. Especially if your not blocking any areas or disrupting others, they shouldn't be harassing you. If anything I would get that person's name and report them to management for harassing you. I haven't been in hard rock recently so do they not have a sit down area in the lobby?

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #1025 on: October 07, 2022, 12:33:24 PM »
I haven't been in hard rock recently so do they not have a sit down area in the lobby?

They remove seating during SDCC. There is normally some available.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #1026 on: April 03, 2023, 10:04:03 AM »
I will definitely leave a review, I just want to make sure I leave one that is helpful. I also contacted the hotel and I am waiting for a reply.
The dates for 2023 are July 20-23 with preview night on July 19th.

Did you ever receive a reply and/or resolution?

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #1027 on: April 04, 2023, 01:21:51 PM »
Did you ever receive a reply and/or resolution?

Seconding that question! I've been curious about the outcome of this for a while. What a bad break. I really hope Hard Rock made some efforts to rectify the situation, after the fact.

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 81
« Reply #1028 on: April 07, 2023, 09:38:32 PM »
Seconding that question! I've been curious about the outcome of this for a while. What a bad break. I really hope Hard Rock made some efforts to rectify the situation, after the fact.

I did end up contacting them and emailed them. They didn't care at all. They just ignored my emails. I had planned to leave a review on Google but I started my new job after the con and got swamped with work. I probably would have at least gotten a reply (maybe) so that was my mistake.
If its not too late I'd still want to leave a review on the hotel reviews page once i find that word doc I had written up.

As a parting gift from them about 2 or 3 weeks after the con, I got a random charge from them. So yeah another thing to watch out for when dealing with them.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #1029 on: April 08, 2023, 10:05:27 AM »
I did end up contacting them and emailed them. They didn't care at all. They just ignored my emails. I had planned to leave a review on Google but I started my new job after the con and got swamped with work. I probably would have at least gotten a reply (maybe) so that was my mistake.
If its not too late I'd still want to leave a review on the hotel reviews page once i find that word doc I had written up.

As a parting gift from them about 2 or 3 weeks after the con, I got a random charge from them. So yeah another thing to watch out for when dealing with them.

The solution seems to be become a celebrity before your next stay with them, then they will provide actual hotel service  ;D

What a horror story, glad I never stayed there and it's permanently off my list now for the future.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #1030 on: April 08, 2023, 10:54:19 AM »

And *this* is why I've removed them from my list.  I feel so bad for your experience :(

But hang out w/all the Forum Friends during SDCC.  All the peeps here make it all better :D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1031 on: April 08, 2023, 10:59:15 AM »
The solution seems to be become a celebrity before your next stay with them, then they will provide actual hotel service  ;D

What a horror story, glad I never stayed there and it's permanently off my list now for the future.

Hmm...I have about 4 months to become famous... :-\
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1032 on: April 08, 2023, 12:48:56 PM »

I hope you will leave a review on the forum.  I think it would be helpful for those that didn't read your post on this board. 
The one review of the Hard Rock from last year did mention security not allowing them to use the elevator closest to their room in order to cater to celebrities.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:14:07 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #1033 on: April 08, 2023, 07:52:58 PM »

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. It seems that Hard Rock really dropped the ball on service last year—I have (non-FoCC) friends who stayed there during 2018 and again in 2022, and they said the experience was really different this time around, for the worse. Apparently the hotel decided to focus 100% of their efforts on making celebrities feel comfortable and safe, and if you were a regular attendee, you were out of luck. Bummer.

I hope you have a much better hotel experience this time around, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login! You're practically karmically owed it at this point lol.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1034 on: April 08, 2023, 08:00:06 PM »
If the Hard Rock only wants celebrities, perhaps SDCC should remove the Hard Rock from the lottery list, like they did The Pendry.   ::)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:02:46 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia