Author Topic: Have you seen ....... ?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Have you seen ....... ?
« on: April 14, 2022, 03:50:28 PM »
I was thinking we all may be interested in finding lesser known movies or series. I'm not thinking of the Harry Potters or Expanse (looking at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) but rather of the odd movies that you might have a copy of because it's so hard to find on streaming.

I'm in the process of putting my lesser known movies on my media server.

Currently, these are loaded 
Smithee version of the '84 Dune,
Snowpiercer
They Live
Moon
District 13 (best parkour ever!)
Train to Busan

Here's a fun list of under rated movies folks may not be aware of
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: Have you seen ....... ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 03:54:52 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised at Hotel Artemis.  Good for anyone looking for a nice kinda thriller/action-y thing, and I thought Jodie Foster did a great job.  Same w/Dave Bautista.  Watched it on Amazon Prime.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:57:36 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 05:33:49 PM »
I was thinking we all may be interested in finding lesser known movies or series. I'm not thinking of the Harry Potters or Expanse (looking at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) but rather of the odd movies that you might have a copy of because it's so hard to find on streaming.

I'm in the process of putting my lesser known movies on my media server.

Currently, these are loaded 
Smithee version of the '84 Dune,
Snowpiercer
They Live
Moon
District 13 (best parkour ever!)
Train to Busan

Here's a fun list of under rated movies folks may not be aware of
*steps on movie nerd soapbox...

"Alan Smithee" is the official pseudonym that directors use when producers or a studio recut a film without the director's input.  It's done as a form of pseudo-protest, sanctioned by the Director's Guild (union) from the late 1960's until sometime in the early 2000's.  As part of the quid pro quo, so to speak, a director can remove their name from the credits, replace it with Alan Smithee, and in return they were not permitted to discuss WHY they did that.  However, even those slightly in the know understand this pseudonym-as-credit meant the director was creatively unsatisfied with the film being edited without their approval.
In the late 1990's, director Arthur Hiller was working on a mockumentary called BURN HOLLYWOOD BURN, which starred Eric Idyl as a director frustrated w/a producer recutting his film and using Alan Smithee as a pseudonym of his in-movie film.  Hill objected to the writer/producer (Joe Eszterhaus) recutting the film (which, again, starred Eric Idyl as a director frustrated with a producer recutting his film and went by the name Alan Smithee in the fictional film) and 1) used the pseudonym Alan Smithee, and 2) tweaked the title to AN ALAN SMITHEE FILM: BURN HOLLYWOOD BURN.  It's been argued that he used the pseudonym as cheap marketing for a bad film to make it more infamous (which worked, because that's why I saw this film on video in the late 1990's - which is indeed bad) and thus things blew up publicly: so much so, that people STOPPED using Alan Smithee as a pseudonym due to how much negative attention was garnered from this film, and the fact that the cat was out of the bag, so to speak, about what 'directed by Alan Smithee' really meant.  Thus, the pseudonym is retired.

Now, as far as the Alan Smithee DUNE cut...
This cut is _only_ the "directed by Alan Smithee" cut because film director David Lynch hated that the studio re-edited the film without his consent (FWIW, he also used a writing pseudonym of Judas Booth - he was REALLY pissed with this studio decision to recut his film).  He had a 3-hour cut prepared before trimming it down to a studio-mandated shorter run time of 137 mins.  The TV version is Smithee cut, that ran over two nights and not only includes added (clunky) narration (while also cut the original opening narration) as well as scenes that Lynch explicitly wanted cut and (reportedly) never existed in any version of the film Lynch prepared.
As a film nerd, I did catch this version in the early 90's via a bootleg VHS tape, and I can only fathom only HARD CORPS fans of the original theatrical cut of the 84 film would be pleased with this (Lynch isn't exactly even a big fan of his own theatrical version of this film, and as rarely talked about over the decades because he was so upset with the whole experience of post-production).  If you had problems with the theatrical cut, they're all still there in this version, along with other scenes that were obviously not meant to be included.  This is like the Salkand TV cuts of the SUPERMAN films of the 70's (the original & 2), where the producers of DUNE knew they could command more money by re-editing the film into a longer cut that necessitated running two nights.
As a film purist, I have to side with Lynch here, and go with the cut that the director prefers and not the one he literally hates.  Obviously, your mileage may vary and hard corps DUNE 84 fans may enjoy this pseudo-curiosity.  What fans should REALLY be demanding, is now that a new DUNE has won a slew of Oscars and a sequel is in the works, Lynch has been more open about revisiting his 84 version and seems amenable to maybe cutting his own Director's Cut, presuming he can find all of the original film negatives: perhaps the fans should press the studio to give him a few million dollars to make another HBO Max exclusive extravaganza!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 05:42:27 PM »
For Dune fans, THE Dune film to track down is JODOROWSKY'S DUNE, a documentary of the film in development for years in the 1970's that was set to have a Pink Floyd original score soundtrack, HR Geiger concept art w/Dan O'Banon doing special FX (much of which was shifted over for us in ALIEN), and included the following as a sampling of the stars who would've been involved:
* Salvador Dali
* Orson Welles
* Gloria Swanson
* David Carradine
* Mick Jagger
* Udo Kier

and others.  Oh, and famed comic artist Jean "Moebius" Giraud worked with Jodorowsky to create 3000 storyboards of the whole think. 
Jodorowsky spent millions of dollars without even coming close to shooting a frame of film, and the project was originally scrapped due to budget issues.  I should also clarify that Jodorosky (who is a mad genius/artist of a filmmaker; if you don't know his work, such as EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, among others, you should check it out if not at least for the curiosity of a 'mad genius' type of filmmaker) refused to even consider a 2ish hour runtime, and thought the material demanded a 10-15 hour run time.

Here's the trailer:

Somewhere in another universe, some crazy studio executive after snorting a mountain of cocaine green lit this film, it was even bigger than Star Wars, and Jodorowsky is bigger than Spielberg!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »
oh myyyyy

Jodorowsky & Dune.... yeah we can only assume the movie exc. was canned after green lighting that project.
it would have been epic akin to Jackson's Lord of the Rings but 30 years too early.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
oh myyyyy

Jodorowsky & Dune.... yeah we can only assume the movie exc. was canned after green lighting that project.
it would have been epic akin to Jackson's Lord of the Rings but 30 years too early.
Yeah, I presume our universe is no where near cool enough/ready for Jodorowsky's DUNE  :P

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 02:36:09 PM »
Speaking of an actual, REAL "director's (re)cut" of DUNE, here's an interview where Lynch recently discussed how he now is currently open to revisiting the film.  Apparently the movie holds a lot of...feelings for the director.  He loved working on it, love the cast/crew, even loved the producer: BUT, hated that he didn't get his own final cut the way he wanted.
He had this to say, when the interviewer asked him about revisiting his INLAND EMPIRE film; when he said he hadn't considered that notion, Dune came up:

Dune—people have said, "Don't you want to go back and fiddle with Dune?" And I was so depressed and sickened by it, you know? I want to say, I loved everybody that I worked with; they were so fantastic. I loved all the actors; I loved the crew; I loved working in Mexico; I loved everything except that I didn't have final cut. And I even loved Dino [De Laurentiis], who wouldn't give me what I wanted [laughs]. And Raffaella, the producer, who was his daughter—I loved her. But the thing was a horrible sadness and failure to me, and if I could go back in I've thought, well, maybe I would on that one go back in.
He clarified a bit, likely to temper expectations/excitement about what could be:
It's not like there's a bunch of gold in vaults waiting to be cut and put back together.  And so it might be interesting — there could be something there. But I don't think it's a silk purse. I know it's a sow's ear
BUT, he also said he can't remember what is there, so who knows?!

THIS I would definitely be very interested in seeing.  I'm a David Lynch fan, and I'm always curious to see anything that he thinks of film-worthy (including the Netflix short film where he interrogated a talking monkey in order to get to the bottom of a crime You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 04:41:34 PM »
 Does anyone else look at the title of this thread and finish it with "my Car"?

I am going to add Cannibal the Musical here.  It's not going to make you a better person in life but its fun.

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 03:56:34 PM »
2011’s “Attack The Block”. Alien invasion set in a South London housing project.  John Boyega’s big screen debut and soundtrack featuring music from Basement Jaxx. Cameo from Nick Frost too.

Sent from my ???? using

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 08:03:09 PM »
"It Stains the Sand Red" An offbeat zombie flick. Very creepy.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 08:57:18 AM »
2011’s “Attack The Block”. Alien invasion set in a South London housing project.  John Boyega’s big screen debut and soundtrack featuring music from Basement Jaxx. Cameo from Nick Frost too.

Sent from my ???? using
I 1000% second this one.  John Boyega's outstanding, as is a cast of mostly British-known (or unknown) actors who have to fend off their slummy apartment building from an alien invasion.  For a relatively low-budget movie, the aliens look great/very original.  Nick Frost is as funny as you know he'd be, playing the building's weed dealer (because of which his apartment is a veritable strong-hold safe house).  I saw this at a preview at Comic-Con one summer, and it was a film where everyone just _KNEW_ Boyega would be a legit star.  It's very funny, with Edgar Wright Executive Producing his good friend Joe Cornish writing/directing his feature debut (he's written more movies, like the TIN TIN movie & wrote the original Ant-Man script w/Wright before Wright left the project).
Really, wildly entertaining film!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 09:21:17 AM »
I'll add that everyone NEEDS to see EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE.  This film isn't just a bonkers fun narrative that revolves around a not-comic book 'Multiverse' concept (where our main character finds herself in various multiverses that finds her everything from a warrior, actor, chef, sign-spinner, piñata, rock w/out a face, etc).  This film isn't just a showcase for Hong Kong action bad ass Michelle Yeoh; or Short Round actor Ke Huy Quan; or a chance to see Jamie Lee Curtis as both a stereotypical IRS auditor AND an awesome fighter.  This film doesn't just give a wonderful showcase for Stephanie Hsu, who damned near steals the film from the other legends listed above (and proves she could be maybe be the most fascinating Joker in the history of Batman adaptations if WB were to ever think a bit outside the box).

This film is not just the perfect allegory for ADHD: how Yeoh's character struggles to focus on her life & family before realizing the truly absolute key to happiness.
This film has one of the most beautiful messages I've seen in a film in a long time.  And while the first 2 Acts build up to that message/epiphany moment, how it all comes together is handled so well by the actors and creatives. 

One could read my lengthy review around here for more details, but I can't recommend this enough!  It's still in theaters but will seemingly go VOD sooner than later.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 12:58:19 PM »
I'll add that everyone NEEDS to see EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE.  This film isn't just a bonkers fun narrative that revolves around a not-comic book 'Multiverse' concept (where our main character finds herself in various multiverses that finds her everything from a warrior, actor, chef, sign-spinner, piñata, rock w/out a face, etc).  This film isn't just a showcase for Hong Kong action bad ass Michelle Yeoh; or Short Round actor Ke Huy Quan; or a chance to see Jamie Lee Curtis as both a stereotypical IRS auditor AND an awesome fighter.  This film doesn't just give a wonderful showcase for Stephanie Hsu, who damned near steals the film from the other legends listed above (and proves she could be maybe be the most fascinating Joker in the history of Batman adaptations if WB were to ever think a bit outside the box).

This film is not just the perfect allegory for ADHD: how Yeoh's character struggles to focus on her life & family before realizing the truly absolute key to happiness.
This film has one of the most beautiful messages I've seen in a film in a long time.  And while the first 2 Acts build up to that message/epiphany moment, how it all comes together is handled so well by the actors and creatives. 

One could read my lengthy review around here for more details, but I can't recommend this enough!  It's still in theaters but will seemingly go VOD sooner than later.
Loved it! Kept thinking "I can't believe this movie exists right now", Given the bonkers storyline. It was high quality production and probably middle of the road budget, impressive for not being a sequel or reboot.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »
anybody recommend Solaris?
I keep hearing about it

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 08:31:08 PM »
anybody recommend Solaris?
I keep hearing about it

Sure, I'll recommend it, but only if you really need a nice long nap.