Author Topic: I avoided watching The Boys, but I like it.  (Read 1761 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
I avoided watching The Boys, but I like it.
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:19:40 AM »
I avoided watching the Amazon Original, The Boys.  From what I heard and saw, it wasn't very good.  But I finally got around to watching it and I like it.  I like it so much that I'm watching it again.  I'm not that fond of the season finale.  I don't like cliffhangers.  I think each and every season should be a complete and satisfying story.  It shouldn't be a teaser for the next season.  Especially since eventually there will not be a next season.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: I avoided watching The Boys, but I like it.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »
i've got to watch it- i just have so little time to sit & watch tv. whenever i'm watching these days, it's just to chill and i don't want to be emotionally involved just amused while i wind down.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:01:58 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »
I think it would be perfect for that.  No deep thinking needed.  It's a funny light hearted take on superheroes.  IMO, Karl Urban makes the show.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »
I really like the show.

Now waiting for season 2 and season 2 of The Umbrella Academy (July 31, 2020)
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
... Karl Urban makes the show.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:11:38 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
I like boys!!!

The show was good also.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »
i've got to watch it- i just have so little time to sit & watch tv. whenever i'm watching these days, it's just to chill and i don't want to be emotionally involved just amused while i wind down.
I'm soooo with you.  I'm a teacher, and when we were told March 13th we'd be staying home for the foreseeable future my first thought was "SWEET!  I can catch up on all the series, movies, and other streaming odds & ends, as well as rewatch some of my favorite older blu-rays & DVD's!"
Then, reality quickly kicked in.  I'm in a 2-bedroom condo with my wife (an educator administrator working for our county Office of Education who works now from our 'home office' in the master bedroom more than she did previously, which is saying a LOT), a HS senior, and a kindergartner.  Between posting & grading my assignments to students, being a 'homeschool kindergarten class administrator' for my youngest, and overseeing my oldest son he can get full credit on his coursework & graduate w/out worries, I've had LESS time to enjoy movies & streaming.  We only have one TV in the condo, so we constantly share, which means the youngest gets to watch what he wants more often than not.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 12:04:47 PM »
I avoided watching the Amazon Original, The Boys.  From what I heard and saw, it wasn't very good.  But I finally got around to watching it and I like it.  I like it so much that I'm watching it again.  I'm not that fond of the season finale.  I don't like cliffhangers.  I think each and every season should be a complete and satisfying story.  It shouldn't be a teaser for the next season.  Especially since eventually there will not be a next season.

Yeah I mostly liked it as well.  It kind of looks a bit cheap at times, but the story and characters are fascinating enough.  I do look forward to the next season, and I hope it doesn't fall in a sophomore slump that a lot of sci-fi/comic booky series can fall into (I'm looking at you, "Heroes!")

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 07:23:52 PM »
Amazon streamed a panel for The Boys a few days ago.  I think this is the panel they would have had at comic-con this year.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 12:15:18 PM »
I was looking forward to binging season 2 of The Boys this weekend.  But Amazon has gone the weekly episode route with season 2.  Only the first 3 episodes are up and then a new episode every Friday.  I can't remember when Amazon hasn't done a full season at a time.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 04:40:23 PM »
i've got to binge season 1 LOL

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
It's only 3 episodes in this season but I'm not feeling it.  Last season was fantastic.  This season, i have to admit, I was waiting for the episodes to end.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
I was looking forward to binging season 2 of The Boys this weekend.  But Amazon has gone the weekly episode route with season 2.  Only the first 3 episodes are up and then a new episode every Friday.  I can't remember when Amazon hasn't done a full season at a time.
Yeah, "The Mandalorian" kind of 'broke the mold' for streaming services.  A friend of mine who's an entertainment writer talked to someone from Amazon who flat-out said they were concerned that their releases, when a full season is released at once, get lots of talk/hype for a week and then is 'forgotten' online (by websites, fan chat, etc).  "The Mandalorian" had folks talking about the series well before the premier, and through the Holiday season as they dropped one ep. at a time.  Amazon decided to go that route with one of their more popular series to kind of trial how it goes (obviously if the season is not a good one, they'll hear smack about it for the next couple months).

Personally, I'm digging Season 2 so far.  I'm _really_ digging how quickly the show seems to have pivoted to the corporate evils of its in-universe.  They're setting up some interesting ideas, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the season pans out: even if that's one ep at a time (sorry, kids: that's how most of the history of home-entertainment/TV has always been - even when I was a little kid if I missed an episode my only hope was to catch a summer re-run)

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
I avoided watching The Boys, but I like it.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
Love this show! I appreciate the tone and how it covers real world topics like fallout of battles, how they’d likely be monetized in today’s world, how they pay the bills, and that they’re just regular (sometimes screwed up) people except they have powers. It doesn’t gloss over the details of what it would probably be like to actually be a superhero in today’s world.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my share of Marvel and DC universes. This just adds another dimension to the superhero genre though.

Sadly, haven’t gotten to season 2 yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »
Season 2 picked up.  The season finale is my favorite.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.