Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127750 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »
Strangely, I’ve actually been busier than ever. I just did my time sheets and I’m clocking in 10+ hours a day.  I have barely had any time to do the proactive projects that were supposed to keep us now that all our events are cancelled.

Instacart shoppers are supposedly striking beginning tomorrow. I have an order for Tuesday but I would understand if the shopper cancels.  The fact they want at the very least mask, gloves, and sanitizer is hardly unreasonable. 

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2020, 12:50:09 PM »
It’s an oddity. Since I’m at home, I’m moving less. Not walking throughout an office building or around the campus, or even taking my post-lunch walks. I’m also snacking a lot more since food is so readily available (seriously, keep those Nilla Wafers away from me). And yet I’m down 2-3 pounds since Shelter-in-Place started.

I’m still running about the same amount (50-60 miles a week), so that wouldn’t explain the loss. Maybe my actual meals are smaller? I have no idea.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 10:13:01 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Instacart shoppers are supposedly striking beginning tomorrow. I have an order for Tuesday but I would understand if the shopper cancels.  The fact they want at the very least mask, gloves, and sanitizer is hardly unreasonable.

I don't see how they can strike, they aren't employees.  Instacart classifies them as independent contractors.  Being contractors, they can choose not to work whenever they feel like it.  So the San Diego DA is trying to reinstate an injunction against Instacart.  Since they should be classified as employees.  If the DA succeeds, then Instacart will be shutdown until they accept that the people that work for them are employees.

I notice that other delivery people also don't use PPE.  I think that everyone that interacts with the public should have PPE equipment.  Not just to protect themselves, but their customers as well.  For all we know, the delivery person is one of the 86% of people that are infectious but show little or no symptoms.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »
Some kid came knocking on our door and for some reason Onion #1 thought it would be a great idea to open the door! The kid said he was doing a school project and I told Kass to say no thanks and shut the door. I think the kid was flat out lying and I also want to slap the parents of this kid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2020, 12:20:18 AM »
Yes, be careful with people who are going door to door. I read that some scammers are going door to door to try to steal things or sell fake cures or tests:

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2020, 08:58:13 AM »
The San Diego Sheriff has said publicly that they don't have the manpower to enforce the mandate, so they aren't even trying at this point.  When the San Diego mayor was asked about an enforcement issue, he sidestepped it by referring back to what the Sheriff said so that it's not an issue.  I don't think the authorities want to confront people.  They want voluntary cooperation for now.

That tracks with what I've seen on my motorcycle rides. I took a drive along the north beaches on sunday.

Regarding grocery shopping, here is the latest study about how long covid lives on surfaces and what in the house can kill it.  To my surprise, the surface it lives the longest on is a face mask.  Since a mask is so fibrous, I thought it would be similar to paper or cloth.  It's not.  The outside is still infectious after 7 days.  Steel and plastic can be infectious up to 7 days.  So I'm upping my grocery isolation to 7 days from 4 to err on the side of caution.

This study hasn't been peer reviewed and thus not published, so keep that in mind.

I'm comfortable following this advice with some slight modifications. I do use quarantine as an option if the item can tolerate it and I don't need it asap ;)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:59:50 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
We live close to beaches and right around the corner from a large county park and the closures have had a noticeable impact. No force on earth is going to keep surfers and mountain bikers from going about their day but closing the parking lots, etc mean most people aren't driving in anymore.

We've started doing Zoom happy hours, if only to see some different faces :)

Our neighbors daughter turned 21 yesterday, they couldn't have a party of course so instead her friends got dressed up, decorated their cars and made a parade of sorts up and down the street.

My son starts his college spring quarter today, he's less excited about that. Though my daughter has taken to remote learning like a fish to water.

As for me, well I finally got past Candy Crush level 3315.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
We live close to beaches and right around the corner from a large county park and the closures have had a noticeable impact. No force on earth is going to keep surfers and mountain bikers from going about their day but closing the parking lots, etc mean most people aren't driving in anymore.

yeah, i've noticed that LOL
same goes for road bikers & motorcycle riders! I am grateful the cops aren't giving those of us who do solitary activity outside, a hard time.

the people i feel sorry for are gym folks, especially if they can't run due to knees. They are going crazy.

fyi, I have a premium membership to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. I can invite regular free members to a private game if anyone is interested.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
My friend said that Kansas has a 5pm curfew and you have to carry a paper that says you are essential. I heard rumors but now heard it first hand.

It's a smaller place there, so I figure that's how they can do it. Big metro places, I have no idea how they are going to keep people from gathering. Did you hear about the church in Florida?!?!??? I think the sheriff is going to arrest the pastor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
It's a smaller place there, so I figure that's how they can do it. Big metro places, I have no idea how they are going to keep people from gathering. Did you hear about the church in Florida?!?!??? I think the sheriff is going to arrest the pastor.

He's already arrested.

There's also a church in Louisiana with the same problem.  They had a service with 1200 people.  I don't think that will be allowed to go on much longer since the Governor of Louisiana talked about the problem himself.  I don't see him letting them continue to defy the order.  Especially since they are the up and coming hotspot.

As for enforcement, some places are more aggressive about enforcement already.  They are going door to door looking for New Yorkers.  In big cities, it may get to the point where the military is deployed to enforce stay at home.  That had to happen in Spain and Italy.

Please people, do as an ER doc has pleaded "Stay the F home."

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »
The San Diego convention center is being used to house the homeless.  They are moving people into the convention center today. There's also talk of setting up a mobile hospital in SD.
According to news 10 abc, the peak in SD/CA will happen around April 25th & we're on track to have enough hospital beds.

There's also reports that a cruse ship knowingly hid an Covid infected person so they could disembarked passengers here in SD.

One more, i don't know how much play the carrier USS Roosevelt is getting in the rest of the country but it's getting a fair amount of airtime here due to SD being it's home port. The # of infected sailors has jumped from 3 to 200. I believe i heard the higher-ups have denied a request from the captain to disembark 90% of the sailors so they could maintain the 6' distancing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:13:54 AM by alyssa »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2020, 12:23:01 PM »
There's also reports that a cruse ship knowingly hid an Covid infected person so they could disembarked passengers here in SD.

Looks like they did.  They reported no cases of covid so they could dock.  When they docked a passenger was taken away by ambulance.  If I remember the reporting that morning correctly, it was said that the passenger was taken away for reasons unrelated to covid.  Then yesterday as people were disembarking the news was released, that passenger and 3 crew members tested positive for covid.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »
California and San Diego now recommend that people wear a mask or other face covering when out.  The news in San Diego was good today.  Certain indicators like the number of people with a fever are going down.  The hospitals themselves are in good shape.  Here's an article published today about one of the big hospital operators in San Diego County.

On another note, the captain of the aircraft carrier that publicly called for help because of the outbreak on board has been relieved of duty.

Oh yeah, the Sheriff today said to report people violating the rules to law enforcement.  $1000 fine and/or 6 months in prison.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:09:38 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2020, 07:01:57 PM »
On another note, the captain of the aircraft carrier that publicly called for help because of the outbreak on board has been relieved of duty.

i do not get that.... perhaps a reprimand but relieved of duty? that smacks of the higher up's not taking this seriously

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2020, 08:41:28 PM »
i do not get that.... perhaps a reprimand but relieved of duty? that smacks of the higher up's not taking this seriously
They said he broke the chain of command by making his public statement without going through the proper channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk