Author Topic: San Diego Airport  (Read 10881 times)

Offline Jamie

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
San Diego Airport
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:58:36 AM »
This is my first time to SDCC. We have a flight home on Monday the 16th. How crazy is the airport that day? How early should we get there to get through security? Our flight is at 2:30pm. Thanks everyone!

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
Re: San Diego Airport
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »
I think Sunday evening is a bit busier. I typically show up at airports around 2 hours earlier but then that's cuz I like getting settled down instead of running thru the terminal trying to get to the gate.

How are you getting to the airport? Taxi? How much luggage will you have? That'll probably help you plan in advance....
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:28:19 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:28 AM »
I would agree that at least two hours (or two hours and a half) might be a good amount of time to arrive for flight check-in and getting through security, as a general rule.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:37:52 AM »
It's not that bad. Even though there are Con people flying out, it's not like there are more flights, KWIM? Same number of planes (and therefore presumably passengers) as any other day.

Offline stonecutterjeff

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »
Yea first year here from NY. Wish I booked earlier I'm paying double what I usually pay to fly to San diego
Check Out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
VGRevolution Geek Culture Editor/Writer

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:29:26 AM »
It happens when it comes to airfair.  Its always best to book as early as you can.  Even if you dont got to SDCC there are loads of other things out here to do
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »
I did a thread on airline miles.

I find it to be a very good option for saving on flights since gas prices always seem to spike in the summer.

Offline Jamie

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! 2 hours is about what I figured, but I just didn't know if security there got super crazy around that time or not. I got tickets and hotel back in january so that wasn't an issue luckily since we managed to get badges (barely).

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Security is normal for airports.

Just some of the con swag may be interesting? when checking in.

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
Yea first year here from NY. Wish I booked earlier I'm paying double what I usually pay to fly to San diego
Agreed! I'm flying to SD from NY as well, and booked my tickets from Delta at $350 (got them in early March and this was already the -cheapest- flight I could find!). Freaking expensive considering the last time I flew from NY to MSP and MSP to Vegas on Christmas Eve/Christmas it was about $250. Comic-Con week is like super duper peak season! :/

As a frequent traveller (who always ends up with excess baggage) I'd recommend advance online check-ins AND turning up 2 hours before the flight regardless - be prepared to be delayed by the check-in counter, they can make you re-pack and re-distribute luggage weight to their satisfaction! And upon entering the departure gate, you will encounter long queues for security checks. (This reminds me of that funny scene in Up In The Air where George Clooney was giving advice on breezing through these queues as effectively as possible :p) All this is even before you get to the actual Flight Gate, so you wouldn't want to take any risks by cutting it close.

Offline stonecutterjeff

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 06:17:55 AM »
Agreed! I'm flying to SD from NY as well, and booked my tickets from Delta at $350 (got them in early March and this was already the -cheapest- flight I could find!). Freaking expensive considering the last time I flew from NY to MSP and MSP to Vegas on Christmas Eve/Christmas it was about $250. Comic-Con week is like super duper peak season! :/

As a frequent traveller (who always ends up with excess baggage) I'd recommend advance online check-ins AND turning up 2 hours before the flight regardless - be prepared to be delayed by the check-in counter, they can make you re-pack and re-distribute luggage weight to their satisfaction! And upon entering the departure gate, you will encounter long queues for security checks. (This reminds me of that funny scene in Up In The Air where George Clooney was giving advice on breezing through these queues as effectively as possible :p) All this is even before you get to the actual Flight Gate, so you wouldn't want to take any risks by cutting it close.

Yea you got a good deal. Mine is about 500 round trip. Maybe see you at the airport lol
Check Out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
VGRevolution Geek Culture Editor/Writer

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »
LOL in 2010 I flew out of San Diego airport after COn and had a large Clash of the Titans shield I had picked up as SWAG and was bringing home for my son. I was worried because it wouldn't fit in my suitcase, and it was an extra carryon. But everyone thought it was cool and only made positive comments, all the way through security! The guys at the x-ray machine even hand checked it, so it wouldn't get damaged in there.

On that same trip, my friend had gotten one of those hard poster tubes with carrying straps, and it wouldn't fit in her suitcase either. They didn't even give it a second glance.

Offline Real Canadian superDAVE

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
On that same trip, my friend had gotten one of those hard poster tubes with carrying straps, and it wouldn't fit in her suitcase either. They didn't even give it a second glance.

Now you've made me quite sad. That year when I discovered the tube would not fit in my luggage when I was packing to leave, I left it behind.

But I'm even more saddened by the fact that the airline I'm travelling with has changed from two checked bags free to only one since I last flew with them. So now do I limit myself to one piece of luggage, or not be so cheap and pay for the extra suitcase? (Gotta have room for swag and those sweet, sweet Comic-Con exclusives, right?)

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
the suck thing about the san diego airport is that there isn't a single security entrance, and the multiple entrances they have go to different parts of the airport that never join up. So you can end up in this huge line at one while the other checkpoint is relatively not busy.

Plus, little bit of trivia for you. I think I read that it is the oldest single runway commercial passenger airport in the US.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
Now you've made me quite sad. That year when I discovered the tube would not fit in my luggage when I was packing to leave, I left it behind.

But I'm even more saddened by the fact that the airline I'm travelling with has changed from two checked bags free to only one since I last flew with them. So now do I limit myself to one piece of luggage, or not be so cheap and pay for the extra suitcase? (Gotta have room for swag and those sweet, sweet Comic-Con exclusives, right?)

I'm sorry you had to leave your tube behind.  :(

You know, you also get two carryons. Take a rolling suitcase that is carryon size, plus a backpack. That will get you a lot more space!