Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 84072 times)

Offline cbaggs

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 92
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »
TWO REVIEWS!

Name of Hotel: Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room: 2 queen-sized beds (we were assigned 2 double-beds, but when we checked in we asked if they had any better rooms available and they told us for a nominal fee per night we could upgrade to 2 queens, although to be honest they still felt smaller than queens but a tad bigger than doubles)

Number of Nights You Stayed: Four

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2017

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes there are a few.  We went to a sports bar/restaurant on the first floor a few times but while I was researching what it was called I learned that it's now closed (maybe replaced with something new?).  They also have a market on the first floor which was extremely convenient (albeit kind of overpriced).  You can buy coffee/snacks/drinks/etc. there and they also had hot food like pizza and grilled cheese.  It was a great on-the-go option.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes - no problems there.

* Did you order room service? No we did not.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? We did not use the gym or pool.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? We were actually shocked by how small the room seemed, especially since we had "upgraded" to a better room with queen beds instead of double beds.  We had three people staying in the room and we definitely made it work but we just expected it to be a bit more spacious.  One thing that was nice was there was kind of a nook right by the hotel room door where we could stash stuff to get it out of the way, so that definitely helped.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? We did self parking which was extremely easy and convenient (large garage attached to the hotel) and was $35/night.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We always walked.  Regardless of whether we walked down Harbor or by the marina to get to the convention center, it was usually about a 15 minute walk unless it was a high traffic walking time.  Taking the marina route always seemed a bit better and less crowded (the sidewalk on Harbor leading up to the convention center gets SUPER PACKED), and you would also get an occasional breeze from the water which helped.  I know it's billed as one of the closest hotels, but it's actually deceivingly farther than many in the Gaslamp.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? We never heard anyone around us, so no issues there.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Yes I believe so.  It worked well for us.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?  I signed up for the World of Hyatt membership once I found out we'd be staying there, but I don't think it actually did anything for us.  Maybe just earned me points but I rarely stay at Hyatts when I travel so not sure how beneficial that is for me.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?

-- I mentioned that the room felt small, but it also felt very worn down.  There were tears and holes in the chairs and the side paneling on the beds.  There were stains on the carpet.  The bathroom could have used some updated tiles and fixtures.  For the price you pay to stay there, it was just not what we expected and we were pretty disappointed with the quality.
-- On Saturday night there was some kind of huge party happening in the lobby bar.  Either that or just a lot of people ended up flocking there as a coincidence, but it was packed and loud and crazy (which was fun, but if you just wanted a quick drink it was pretty hard to get).
-- The Her Universe fashion show is in the MGH on Thursday night and we had a friend who had a design in the show, so it was really convenient to be able to drop off our stuff from the con in our room and then just walk down to the show.  If you haven't checked out the fashion show before, it is absolutely worth it - such a blast and some really impressive designs.   

What did you like about staying at this hotel?

--Convenience of food/market options
--Not too far, but also removed a bit so it's pretty quiet for the most part
--Beds were comfortable
--Bathroom felt private - I've seen lots of reviews of hotels that have awkward bathroom doors and when you're staying with a lot of people that can be weird.  No issue with that at MGH.
--Self parking was easy and at $35 is a lot cheaper than parking at a lot of the other hotels.
--Fulfillment room is in the hotel so if you have free swag to pick up, it's nice to be able to just dump it in your room instead of having to carry it somewhere else.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?

--What I said above about the quality/size of the rooms.
--In looking back on our 2017 con experience, we all realized we just never spent as much time in the Gaslamp as we normally do since we were staying at the MGH.  There was no reason to walk through the Gaslamp to get to the convention center, so we felt a bit removed from that.  We always enjoy spending time walking around the Gaslamp during the con, and we definitely missed that aspect last year. 

------------------------------------

Name of Hotel: Andaz

Type of Room: 2 double beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: Four

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2016

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes there was a lot around us, but the only two places we went nearby were Hard Rock Cafe down the street (which is now closed - not to be confused with Hard Rock Hotel), and Hub Market & Deli (which is a market with a deli in the back with AMAZING sandwiches you can pick up).

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes - extremely accommodating and nice.

* Did you order room service? No we did not.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? We did not use anything.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? Our room was HUGE and amazing.  It was a corner room and it looked out towards the Gaslamp.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? They only had valet and I can't remember exactly how much it was but I think maybe $40/night?

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We always walked and it usually took about 15-20-ish minutes.  It wasn't too bad of a walk and it was fun to walk through the Gaslamp on the way to the convention center.  The day we cosplayed, though, we tried to take the shuttle because it was super windy (and come on - we worked too hard on our costumes/hair to have it ruined by the wind before even making it to the con), but the shuttle didn't stop where we thought it was supposed to.  We stood there and it just passed us by and it definitely wasn't full.  We never did figure out if we were standing in the right spot, but we tried a different corner the next day and we had the same problem.   

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? It is a party hotel, so it got kind of loud one night but we had been out and about so weren't trying to sleep yet.  Otherwise it was no big deal.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  I believe yes, though I can't remember.  I do know it worked well.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?  I'm not sure if there was an awards program, but we were not members if there was.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?

-- The bathroom was MASSIVE but kind of weird.  It had a sliding door which wasn't a huge deal, but could be bad for people who need more privacy.  There was also very limited counter space for a bathroom as big as it was.  Lots of wasted space in there.  Also, the lighting was HORRIFIC.  We had to come out into the room and sit down by the windows to do our makeup because we couldn't see well at all in the bathroom.  All that being said, the shower was quite possibly one of the best hotel showers I've ever been in. 
-- There were regular events happening on the rooftop bar, but we were able to go up there one night for a drink/appetizers.  We were in the elevator with Kenny Ortega which was fun (and he was super nice), and then we also saw Reeve Carney on the rooftop.  As I said, there were big events up there so I'm sure plenty of celebrity sighting potential if you were around the hotel when it's happening.
-- I realize I'm doing this review two years after the fact, but I also feel like they gave us free champagne when we checked in.  I could totally be making that up, but I seem to remember that being the case.  It's a really cool, modern, boutique vibe place, though, so it would make sense.   

--Room was huge with tons of space for bags/swag/etc.
--Room was also very clean and well-kept with modern decor.  It felt really new (maybe the hotel was relatively new?)
--Beds were really comfortable
--Convenience of food/market options
--Relatively close to the center of the Gaslamp

--In addition to what I said above about the bathroom (minus the glorious shower), I would say just that the shuttle situation was unfortunate.  Obviously that has nothing to do with the hotel itself, but we were really confused as to why the shuttle never stopped even close to the area where it was supposed to.   

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:13:44 PM by cbaggs »

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
Name of Hotel: Doubletree SD Mission Valley

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 one year, 5 the next

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2016, 2017

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
Solid, free breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, fruit and juice. Several places to eat nearby ... Wood Ranch Grill and Which were short walks from the side door.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Very polite and helpful

* Did you order room service?
Nope

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
Pool was smallish but I never used it

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Pretty average size for a hotel, four people there and we all had space

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
Not sure what the parking garage cost but there was free parking on the street just outside the hotel

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
I only took the shuttle once coming back from con and it took forever (maybe 45 minutes but there was a lot of traffic). Every other time I took the trolley which had a stop less than 100 yards from the front door. Trains came about every 15 minutes and the trip would take 25-30 but there were always empty seats heading in.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I could hear my neighbors talking through the walls one night but it was pretty quiet otherwise.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? 
Nope

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Not a member

No celebrities of any kind.

I got this in the early bird sale each time because I wanted to guarantee a nice hotel for my family ... I was not let down. Great staff, decent rooms, a great buffet and super easy to get on the trolley. Took a $15 Uber to Mission Beach one day to go for a swim in the cool Pacific.

Pretty long haul to the con. And you don't feel as connected to the festivities as you do when you are downtown.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 09:55:18 AM »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
Name of Hotel: Bay Club Hotel and Marina

Type of Room: 2 queen beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 2 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2015

Hotel Review:  Not the newest hotel, but the view was lovely and it was clean.  Our room was supposed to come with breakfast, per (at the time) Travel Planners.  I had to dig it out of my phone to prove it to them.  Manager said it was a mistake, so he wasn't honoring it.  Honestly, the "mistake" wasn't my problem.  I booked it based on the listing and the listing was right there on my phone.  I didn't give up and they finally honored it.  Otherwise, loved the hotel.

Offline mellye

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »
Name of Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott Mission Valley

Type of Room: 1 king-sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 10 in 2016 and 5 in 2017

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2016, 2017

Hotel Review:

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
There is a hotel restaurant with decent selections as well as a Starbucks. Meals ranged from $7-$15 ish. Restaurant unfortunately closes at 10pm.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
In 2016, we had an awesome experience with the staff. We got to know a lot of them and they pointed us in the direction of some great restaurants, touristy things, etc. In 2017, we checked in on Wed and the staff were less inviting, but they were also swamped with people that day.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? In 2016, we were given a very large corner room in the newer wing. This was very very comfortable. In 2017, we were given a much smaller room in the old wing and it was still comfortable, but definitely had less space. Both rooms were quite spacious in general.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
Parking was included for one car and we had one day pass for a guest as well.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
Thursday Shuttles are always a disaster. In 2016, we waited over an hour. In 2017, we took the trolley, which is a far more efficient especially on Thursday. To get to the trolley, you'll need to cut through Town & Country, passed the pool and over the bridge. You'll see the Fashion Valley Transit stop straight ahead. For reference, shuttle is located just to the left of the hotel. Shuttle was minimum 30 minutes, longer at rush hours to about 50 mins. This hotel is one of the last stops on the route. Shuttles thankfully run 24-hours now. Uber to convention centre is about $12.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
Yes

- Restaurant is very accommodating to dietary needs.
- Starbucks service is quick, unlike anywhere downtown.
- Hotel beds were comfortable, rooms were spacious.
- Fridge is included in every room, which is always a pleasant feature. I believe there's a small coffee maker as well.
- Close to Fashion Valley Mall, with tons of options to eat: Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, etc.
- Lots of plugs!
- Will accept packages in advance of your stay (for the International folk who want to get their shopping done!)
- Breakfast included with Early Bird and they are VERY generous.

- It's a long trek. You need to be out of the hotel early to make early entrance times to the convention centre. You need to be early to the line to the shuttle to ensure one doesn't fill up and pass you by.
- No free coffee or tea in the evenings, even after the restaurant closes

Offline jontargaryen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »
Name of Hotel: The US Grant

Type of Room: 1 king bed with small sitting area

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018

Hotel Review:

The hotel itself had a pretty fancy restaurant and bar. I had a dessert there which was incredible but very expensive. Drinks were also interesting and tasty. Around the hotel there’s anything you could want. Directly across from Dunkin Donuts and a block away from Chipotle, Panera, breakfast cafes, etc.

This is a luxury hotel so the staff pampers you.

No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?

No gym or pool.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

Perfect size for two people, although I was solo. More than that I wouldn’t recommend.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?

I did not drive.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?

I walked. It’s about a 15 minute walk when all is said and done. Not bad at all.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?

Couldn’t hear a thing.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)

Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

Yes, Gold.

The bathrooms are great and the rooms are styled beautifully. Also liked the light that you pressed for do not disturb instead of dealing with those annoying door hangers.

- beautiful old world hotel
- great staff, especially the bartenders
- absurdly comfy bed
- great drinks at the bar
- very quick walk to bars and restaurants in the gaslamp and relatively quick walk to the convention center
- quieter location than right in the gaslamp
- lots of quick food options nearby
- no annoying resort fee

- expensive. All of it.
- it’s right across from the Horton plaza park which is home to many, many homeless people. There was always a police presence and the staff was good about shooing away the ones begging out front of the hotel but the whole situation was a little...off putting. Especially walking back alone at 1am.
- definitely not as close as most of us would like

Overall this is an excellent hotel but not one I’d willingly pick for comic con. It’s more of a romantic getaway splurge weekend hotel.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:59:49 PM by jontargaryen »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2018, 11:48:07 PM »
Name of Hotel: Westin Gaslamp

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018 (and 2009 too, but this review is for 2018)

Hotel Review:

One hotel restauran called Pinzimini, which had a really small menu, and that was including added Comic Con specials. We ended up having individual pizzas and chicken wings, which were okay. Service was slow, even though we were one of two tables there. Honestly, I wouldn't go back again. Right outside the hotel is a Burger joint (that closes early) and a sushi place (Nara), which was pretty good. And of course, there are a ton of other Gaslamp restaurants to go to.

Yup! We had two reservations. A Tuesday reservation for 2 beds booked directly through them, and a 1 bed place through Travel Planners. I explained that I had two reservations and would rather have two beds the entire stay, and they were very accommodating to my request. And when I checked out, I had questions on my bill, and they were very patient and clear in resolving the issues.

Nope.

I used the pool area, which was rather small, but it had plenty of pool chairs to lounge around in. The gym was equally small, but it suited my needs just fine. As an aside, in the 40 minutes I was at the gym, I saw three people come in with all their luggage, just to shower.

The room was quite roomy, about as roomy as any room I've had in downtown San Diego. My definition of roomy is that there was more than enough room to have my luggage on the ground, open, and all my Comic Con swag laid out all over the place and still have more than enough room to move around.

N/A

Westin Gaslamp was right at the edge of comfortable walking distance. It's a five block shot down 2nd street to the west edge of the convention center. So maybe a 10-15 min walk. If you are trying to get to  / or are coming from the Hall H side, then it's actually quite  bit longer walk. The walk from the outdoor events by PetCo Park actually was a very long walk. We never bothered taking the shuttles. But, I would advise NOT taking the shuttle TO the con, since the Westin Gaslamp is the shuttle's first stop, and it has to go around to all the other hotels before heading to the con. On the flip side, taking the shuttle back to the hotel could be a very good idea, especially at the end of the day with tired feet.

Noise levels was okay when you're talking about room-to-room. However, outside noise can be a bit distracting. Mainly, in the mornings, we would hear the crowds for the Conan tapings. Their line was pretty much right outside our window. There would be constant chanting. However, at night, it was quiet enough to go to sleep.

We had one night free, and the rest of the nights cost $10/night.

No. They're part of SPG. Actually, I belatedly realized that supposedly you get free WiFi if you're a member.

They have this program that on any day you don't use room service / cleaning (you have to put an extra sign outside your door besides the "Do Not Disturb" sign), then you get a $5 voucher for any food product in the hotel, including room service, the restaurant, or the cafe. We made use of that for morning coffee / pastries.

I was not fond of the shower setup. Instead of a traditional adjustable nozzle, it was this thing overhead that sprays water downward like rain, with very little to no room for adjustment. So the water pretty much always comes down on your head, unless you bend your neck awkwardly. The shower does include a detachable shower head, but I've never found those convenient to use.   

- Customer service
   - Getting to / from airport much easier than hotels closer to the convention center.
   - Close to Ralph's supermarket (and another organic market)
   - Next to Gaslamp with a lot of food choices nearby

- Inconvenient shower setup
   - Paid WiFi for non-members
   - Distance to convention center at the edge of comfortable walking distance, especially on hot summer days.

Overall, I prefer to stay at a closer hotel, but with all things Travel Planners, you really don't have much choice in the manner. That being said, for 2018, I actually had a choice between Westin and Embassy Suites. Both were equidistant to the convention center (but different directions), and I ended up choosing Westin Gaslamp because it was closer to more food options and the nightlife. But I wouldn't mind if I end up with this hotel again.

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »

Name of Hotel:
Marriott Marquis

Type of Room:
1-bed king. City view. 23rd floor

Number of Nights You Stayed:
Wed - Sun. 4 nights.

Year(s) You Stayed There:
2018. First year staying here. First year staying in a hotel!

Hotel Review:

Ate at the bar in the lobby. Decent food. Mariott Marquis is right next to the convention center so it's a short walk to basically anything in Gaslamp

Hotel staff was great. In the app, I requested extra towels and they were brought to my room within an hour of me checking in. I was also originally on the 16th floor with a bay view but requested a higher floor with a city view and they accommodated me. They were fantastic and very nice.

Nope.

Went to the spa one night. Very uncrowded which was surprising but also very nice.

It was just my wife and I, so yes. The room was more than spacious enough.

N/A. Took the train down from LA.

Not long at all. From the exhibit hall to the hotel is basically a 5-10 minute walk. Very accessible and centrally located.

They were a little thin but not too bad. I could hear people in the hallway but it wasn't enough to make it a bad experience.

Yes if you're a Marriott Rewards member (which I am)

Yes. Silver. Free WiFi and priority check-in line.

This hotel was great because I'm a huge comic book fan and all of the DC people were staying here. I saw a lot of the people I admire and follow. My wife rode the elevator with Kevin Smith also.

The hotel was great. It's super busy which feels like you're right in the action at all times. It's so close to the convention center that everything within it is extremely accessible.

I disliked having to cross the street to get to the Gaslamp District since there were 8 billion people trying to do the same. I was also on the 3rd highest floor so any elevator ride had at least 10 stops. Those are both "woe-is-me" nitpicks though. This place was so great.

Offline EscoBlades

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »
Name of Hotel: Four Points by Sheraton Downtown

Type of Room: I King sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 nights

The hotel had breakfast on for around $15. There are at least 4 breakfast restaurants a 5 minute walk away from the hotel in the immediate vicinity.

Super friendly and helpful. They got into the spirit of the con itself.

Did you order room service?
No

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
Gym and pool were tiny. Clean and functional though, but don't expect to get laps in.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Standard sized king room, very comfy bed. Pillows were on the softer side, but you could request different pillows.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
Did not drive

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
20 minute walk at a regular pace on foot. 7-10 minute drive (depending on traffic). Didn't use the shuttle.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I didn't hear much noise, but that may have been cos my neighbours were also quiet.

Yes, and it was a decent speed too.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
I am an SPG member, but at the basic level so no perks yet.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
No celebs. On the downtown edge, so a little disconnected from everything.

Very comfy bed, clean hotel, quiet and if required, on the shuttle route. It was also affordable ($220 a night)

A little on the far side, if you need to go back to your hotel from the con to change out of cosplay or relax.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hotel Indigo

Type of Room:
2 Queen Sized Beds (even though I was by myself)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 nights

The hotel has a restaurant in the lobby and also serves food at their 9th floor Rooftop bar.  There were plenty of restaurant options in the immediate area, including a 7-Eleven.  There was also a place in the lobby to buy snacks for your room.

Fantastic.

No

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
No pool.  Honestly, don't know if they had a gym, but I would say "probably".  It's a pet-friendly hotel.  There aren't mini bars in the rooms, but they have Keurig coffee makers.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
They gave me a larger room than I needed.  I was alone.

Did not drive

If I was going to Hall H or Indigo, I took the bridge and it took about 12 minutes to get to the Hall H line, 15 to get to Indigo entrance.  It was about the same if I went the other way.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I didn't notice any noise.

Yes.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
I think I am, but I tend not to remember my hotel rewards programs.  I probably should look into it.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
I like the location of this hotel quite a bit.  It's close enough without being too far, but far enough to feel a little distant from the craziness closer to the convention center.  I dine and party a lot in the Gaslamp and it was easy to get to most places I needed to get to.

It's a modern hotel with a hip feel to it.  I really liked the rooftop bar.  It was a good place to chill after a long evening.  It wasn't crowded any time I went.

If I was nitpicky, it would have been nice to have a refrigerator to store my water.  The shower head was one of those removable ones and I prefer a static shower head.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2018, 03:06:33 AM »
Name of Hotel: Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)

King bed partial city and water view.  Not a bad view and a good view of the naval ship. 

Number of Nights You Stayed: Tues-Sun

Hotel Review:

If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).

Seaport village is right outside the door.  Puesto is good and Seasons isn't bad . The Hyatt has a nice breakfast buffet with a very friendly waiter.  The market street places were a bit of a hike (15 minutes) .

Very accommodating and outside of the mad checkins on Tues/Wed could easily get a hold of them.  My room was ready when I arrived on Tues morning. 

If yes, tell us about if you had a good experience with room service.

I didn't order room service but called Market Place for pickup.  The burger wasn't bad but the grilled cheese was undercooked.  The service was quick though.  enough time to

Gym was nice and overlooked the water

We had both our luggages (carry ons) out plus a big box for all of our merchandise and still walked around fairly easily.  The beds were comfortable.  Not as big as other kings i've seen but big enough.   

10 minutes from hotel to the A entrance.  Mind you, I am someone who lives in NYC and walks everyday and knows how to navigate crowds. 

I could sometimes hear people opening doors if I was paying attention but otherwise I was able to sleep like a log. 

Yes.  Fast.  Could stream trailers and listen to spotify

Was very happy to pick up my hall h swag right at the hotel after a long day
I saw Nathan Fillion at the lobby. 
If you are on the seaport side and exit the elevators towards the market place, there is a really funky smell coming from the restaurant. 

Very nice, upscale hotel
Walkable to the convention
Rooms ready when I arrived in the morning

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

A bit of a hike to Indigo or Hall H. 
A little farther from Gaslamp than you think
Shower heads were a little on the low side.  Fine if you are short like me but I can see it being a problem for taller people. 

All in all, I'd be thrilled to stay there again next year although I wouldn't be opposed if I got Omni or Hard Rock or HBF next year. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:19:00 AM by rabbitwarren »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: I actually had 3 different rooms, lol. Regular 2 queen room; 2 Queen Corner Room, and King Corner Room.
Reg 2 Queen Room is a fair sized room but if you are 4 people (or more) and have cosplay or a lot of exclusives and swag the room will seem small.
2 Queen Corner Room: This is my favorite room because you have added space and more windows. But it is an upgrade room and 2 years ago I paid $60 more per night for it.

Number of Nights You Stayed: I was there for 7 nights.

Year(s) You Stayed There: Past 5 years except for last year when I was at Hard Rock with Queen Suites.

Hotel Review:

Yes there is a restaurant on first floor, food offered through the bar and the pool bar. During Con there is also BBQ outside the front of Hilton. Outside of those you have to walk a bit.
* How was the hotel staff? Were they polite and courteous?

I had a few issues with the front desk, they didn't seem as accommodating as in past years. They were very reluctant to do any upgrades without charges even if you were a Gold or Diamond member. Even on Tuesday they were out of refrigerators and on Wednesday if you requested SDCC key cards (I requested 4 they only gave me 2 of the Riverdale ones and the other 2 were plain Hilton ones, and if I forgot my key and needed a replacement it was a regular card. I heard that they sent the leftover cards back to the vendor.

No room service this trip.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? During the con the pool is pretty empty but I didn't check out the gym.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably? Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

With 4 of us in one regular 2 queen room with quite a bit of exclusives and snacks it was kind of snug, but the corner rooms are larger but more expensive. The regular 2 queen room at the Bayfront is larger than the regular 2 queen room at the Hard Rock.

$35/day with in and out privileges.

To get to the entrance to the convention center maybe 5-7 minutes and to get to the Hyatt about 15 - 20 min.

Never heard our neighbors.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) If you are a Hilton Honors member which it is free to join you get free wifi.

I was able to be upgraded to a room facing the convention center side but had to kind of haggle for it which I never had to do before. Also as a Gold/Diamond member you receive 2 vouchers for each day of your stay that you can use for either a free continental breakfast or upgrade for $10 to a hot meal that includes cooked to order omelettes or you can go to Starbucks (if you don't mind the line) and get any Starbucks drink, breakfast or pastry item and piece of fruit. Its actually a really nice perk.

The Hilton Bayfront is going to be renovated by the time SDCC happens next year and all rooms will have fridges in them.

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.

I rode the elevator up with Nichelle Nichols, my son rode the elevator up with the MHA creator and saw Norman Reedus and Jeffrey Dean Morgan walking around the bar area. Around the corner from us was someone, who I don't know, but they had 8 security guards protecting the hallway, lol.

The computers wouldnt print out my confirmed exclusive list. And my car was broken into on Sunday afternoon in the parking structure.
Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:05:17 AM by Angology »
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
Name of Hotel: Omni

Type of Room: 1 King-Sized Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:5

Hotel Review:

Yup, Omni is right in the heart of the Gaslamp so there's a bunch of options all around.

Staff was super nice and helpful!

Nope

Our group used the pool to soak our feet in every night. The pool area is nice since it overlooks the convention center so it's like we never left the con while we relaxed.

Our room was a corner room so I thought it had a good amount of space (at least compared to my experiences in the Hard Rock).  There was 4 of us and we had 2 people sleep on the floor so at time it was hard to navigate but all in all we didn't feel too cramped. Our bathroom was super spacious though.

N/A

3-5 minutes, depending on the crowd in the train crossing area.

The Wired Cafe had their party in the pool area and we can hear the music from our room but it didn't really affect us since they were only open during the day

Yes if you were a member.

Yes, I got free wi-fi

The Future Tech exhibit was in our hotel so it was nice to go down to the exhibit on Preview Night (we didn't have PN badges) and try out the demos before the real crowds started coming in. As for celebrity sightings, I saw Patty Jenkins checking into our hotel which was pretty cool.

- Close location to the convention center
- A lot of food options nearby
- Near CVS for snack shopping

- I was hoping to catch more celebs but honestly I can't really complain about the Omni since its proximity to the convention center made a HUUUUUGGGEEEEE difference to my SDCC experience this year.

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2018, 12:35:26 AM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Gaslamp

Type of Room: 2 Queen Bed Room. We were at the end of a hall and, while not quite a suite, the room was much bigger than a regular room, with the desk, comfy chair, and requested mini-fridge in a large living space somewhat separate from the beds.

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Hotel Review:
Yes. There was a restaurant on the ground floor and room service, in addition to the numerous Gaslamp eateries nearby. (The Broken Yolk is just around the corner). We didn't try either the restaurant or room service, but a friend ate at the restaurant and seemed to enjoy it.

I checked in around noon and the hotel already had my room ready with the mini-fridge I'd requested. I didn't have a ton of engagement with the staff during the convention, but any requests we made (fresh towels, more toilet papers, etc.) were promptly received.

The hotel had a gym (we didn't try it but it looked nice), but no pool, which was something of a disappointment. They also had a rooftop bar which was very nice, although it was closed for private parties two of the nights we were there.

There were six of us in the room and we had no issue fitting. While our room was much larger than normal, from what I saw of the regular rooms, I'm fairly certain we would have been fine in those as well. The hotel was also generally quiet, in part due to the guest room floors requiring a key card to access.

I didn't park but one of my roommates did. It was $48 per day, valet only. Not sure if that came with in and out privileges.

The walk from the hotel to the convention center generally took around seven minutes, although it could be longer if heading to an extreme side (Hall H or Hall A) or if traveling during a super busy time.

We didn't notice any noise from our neighbors nor from any parties or outside activities.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
The hotel has free WiFi for loyalty program members. However, the login process is somewhat clunky and difficult to share among multiple devices owned by multiple people.

I joined Marriott Rewards prior to staying at the hotel. The only perk I got was the aforementioned wifi.

While the staff was very friendly, I felt like they didn't get Comic Con quite as much as the staff at the Omni (where I stayed the last few years) did. In particular, the bellhops seemed somewhat overwhelmed on Sunday, both when showing up to take our bags down (our bellhop was clearly NOT expecting us to have 11 bags) and when returning our bags to us later in the day (they almost gave me someone else's bag and had placed the bag tag on a friend's bag in such a way that it tore the poster that was sticking out of it).

The location and price were fantastic. It was also a somewhat calmer environment than the Omni, particularly in the lobby.

The beds, while technically queens, were some of the smallest "queen" beds we'd ever encountered. (And noticeably smaller than the beds we'd had at both the Omni and the Westin Gaslamp). Additionally, the positioning of the TV in the room was weirdly low, such that, if we were laying in bed, the viewing angle was somewhat awkward.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
Name of Hotel: Westin Gaslamp

Type of Room:  2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 7  (1 + 6) Combined 1 day reservation with hotel lottery 6 day reservation

Hotel Review:

Yes , the hotel restaurant Pinzimini , I ate breakfast there

How was the hotel staff?  They were friendly and helpful

No, but they were fast when asking for toilet paper, valet car service, and bellman service.

Tell us about the hotel amenities I did not use any

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  The room was  larger than the average.

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? it was listed at $50 per day , but I was only charged $39 and they only charged me for two days out of the 6 days I was there.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Shuttle getting there from the convention center was quick , they were the first stop on the Blue line (10 minutes), but of course last going back to the convention center (15 to 20 minutes)

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? The room wall thick enough , but noises from outside were louder than average.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  No, but fairly cheap 7.95  per day

The mini frig was not very cold

Lots of close by restaurants and shopping

Lots of homeless people in the area, but that's the whole Gaslamp district now
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown (Little Italy)

Type of Room: King Bed w/ Pullout Sofa (Note: Not all King Bedrooms have a Pullout Sofa, so if you need one be sure to ask)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 (Wednesday through Saturday nights)

Hotel Review:

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? The hotel didn't have a restaurant but it did have free breakfast. There's nothing immediately by the hotel, but Little Italy is only a few blocks away and there is plenty of dining there.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes, they were very nice and welcoming.

Did you order room service? No

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? They had a gym and pool, but I didn't use them.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? The room was average size, though I thought the ceiling was kind of low. We had two people. With the sofa bed pulled out, there was still just enough room for both of us to put our stuff out and move around comfortably. For three it probably would have been tight. BUT -- there was no dresser/shelves. Maybe the other King arrangement would have had shelving instead of the sofa bed?

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? I didn't drive, but I think parking would have been $35/night.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Trolley: 10 minutes or less. Foot: 25 minutes. Shuttle: 45 minutes... ::) (I took the shuttle the first day. It took 45 minutes, 15 to get to the Gaslamp and then 30 to go the final 5 blocks. Never again.)

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? We heard some stuff but nothing really bothered me. I need to mention the trolley bell and train horn since everyone talks about them. We had a room in the middle of the hotel and we definitely heard them while awake, but they weren't so loud enough to be annoying. I just think of them as city noise. Also, as I'm a heavy sleeper they did not interfere with my sleep but YMMV.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yes

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes, basic, I don't know.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? They have a shuttle to and from the airport. But I called for the shuttle on the way in, and it took nearly an hour for them to arrive. (I had to call to remind them about 45 minutes in.) Although, when I got in, it was 12:30 and before checkin time, but they had a room ready so in my mind that made up for it. Free coffee 24/7 which is a nice perk. Free popcorn in the evening.

• Breakfast was useful, even if for the most part it wasn't very good--see next point
  • Price was right--one of the cheapest downtown, and even non-downtown, motels
  • Pretty much directly on the trolley line
  • Refrigerators in every room, and also wire shelves where you can store nonperishable snacks or other things on
  • Staff was very nice and courteous
  • With all the people coming and going & hanging out, it felt connected to Comic-Con but never overwhelming

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? No major complaints, but also there were really no major advantages except for price. (Customer service and free WiFi were nice, but there are many other places that also offer those those.) For instance:
  • Fairly close to Convention Center, but not that close
  • Fairly removed from the Gaslamp, but not exactly the place for peace & quiet as it's right between a main street & train/trolley tracks
  • Close to Little Italy, but not in the middle of it so you still have to walk a few blocks
  • They had breakfast, but it wasn't very good -- almost entirely based on standard Americana refined starchy and/or sugary items & questionable scrambled eggs. At least they had hard-boiled eggs daily, which are hard to ruin, and a couple days had one other decent item (across the 4 days, they had turkey sausage once and fresh fruit once or twice. They had potatoes a few times but the consistency was off.)
  • Reasonably clean, but not sparkling
  • Room/motel was nice enough but had absolutely no character
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:27:42 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15