Author Topic: Discussion re: CCI FB comments (from CCI Posts and Announcements Forum)  (Read 21215 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
I wanted to comment in the post, but apparently the entire 'CCI Posts and Announcements' forum is locked.

Kvthai posted a comment from CCI on their Facebook page about how they couldn't add more days to the Con because it was be more expensive to have security, fire marshalls. rent the space, etc. This does not make sense to me at all. Yes, there would be more costs, but those costs should be offset by the increased price of badges (if such badges were to cover the entire event) and/or an increase in the number of badges sold. I'm not sure why CCI is automatically nixing this idea on the theory that it would 'cost too much'?????

Any thoughts?

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
Had to lock the thread just to keep it organized in there but feel free to discuss it here. :D

I think CCI alluded to the costs even on days they are not holding events so that they can reserve the area. Otherwise they'd have to set up, take it down and then repeat the whole process again the following week.

On the other side of it, think of the costs for exhibitors. The major studios will be fine but mom and pop comic book stores? They'll struggle to basically shut down for 2 weeks in order to set up shop. Sure, they could just choose 1 week and other vendors can step in but then you start to run into problems of not offering the same experience both weeks.

Then you start to look at the panels. Would the programming be the exact same both weeks?  Would studios be able to bring the cast, et al? If the programming varies, then you'll just have people buying badges for both weeks and create the same demand.

And lastly, look at it from the costs for attendees. Hotel prices are expensive enough as is. Extending it longer would put a total strain and take away from the con experience.

I think people look at Coachella breaking up into 2 weeks and assume Comic Con could do the same but I think the logistics of it and just the nature of the 2 events are so different that it's not something that you can just say, okay, let's do it and it'll resolve all the issues. It sounds like it'd create even more issues in my opinion...
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Transmute Jun

I think CCI alluded to the costs even on days they are not holding events so that they can reserve the area. Otherwise they'd have to set up, take it down and then repeat the whole process again the following week.

I agree, those are unnecessary costs. Just extend the Con, perhaps to an entire week (6 days plus Preview Night).

On the other side of it, think of the costs for exhibitors. The major studios will be fine but mom and pop comic book stores? They'll struggle to basically shut down for 2 weeks in order to set up shop. Sure, they could just choose 1 week and other vendors can step in but then you start to run into problems of not offering the same experience both weeks.

They don't have to double to 2 weeks immediately. Adding a day or two before the 'traditional start' or 'traditional end' would likely help. Sure the Mom& Pop vendors would be away from their main businesses longer, but by doing so they would open themselves up to more Con sales. Clearly if it's not in their financial interest they won't do so, but I'm betting for many of them an extra day or two (quite possibly with 'new' attendees) would up their sales enough to make it worthwhile.

Then you start to look at the panels. Would the programming be the exact same both weeks?  Would studios be able to bring the cast, et al? If the programming varies, then you'll just have people buying badges for both weeks and create the same demand.

I wouldn't expect there to be any repeats in the panels. It would be the same 'black void until the programming schedule is announced' that it is today. Yes, some people would want to come for all 6/7 days. I'd be one of them! But other people wouldn't be able to get extra days off of work, or want to pay the increased cost that would come about for having more days. Additionally, there would be more single day badges available.

And lastly, look at it from the costs for attendees. Hotel prices are expensive enough as is. Extending it longer would put a total strain and take away from the con experience.

EXACTLY. Higher costs for the attendees encourage a shorter/partial Con trip, which opens up more spots for other people.

It sounds like it'd create even more issues in my opinion...

It probably would. But extending the Con, even by a couple of days, would definitely accommodate more attendees, which is the whole point.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:00:41 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
the Information Archive area is locked because it is a a repository of information so that people can find and reference historical information easily. There are plenty of other areas for discussions
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
I say move preview night to Tuesday or get rid of it all together and make wednesday a full day. I know vendors will be losing 24 hours to set up but if properly those booths can go up pretty quickly.

Offline Transmute Jun

I say move preview night to Tuesday or get rid of it all together and make wednesday a full day. I know vendors will be losing 24 hours to set up but if properly those booths can go up pretty quickly.

That's certainly a step in the right direction!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
While there is some potential interest in holding a longer convention, there's also the aspect of getting enough volunteers and staff members to be there full-time to maintain programming (the panels, for example), exhibitors, press, professionals, attendees, special guests, and so forth.  With so many variables to holding a four- to five-day convention as it is and coming from a staffing perspective from other conventions myself, it would take not only a lot of human resources but also financial backing to maintain everything in working order.  Unfortunately, it's not so simple as extending Comic-Con a few more days.  There is a lot of behind-the-scenes activity that we as fans and attendees are not aware of in order for the convention to be up and running as well as it does right now.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

There is a lot of behind-the-scenes activity that we as fans and attendees are not aware of in order for the convention to be up and running as well as it does right now.

Fair enough. I would expect an increase in badge prices/number of badges sold to compensate for these additional difficulties.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
Sometimes less is more.

Quality over quantity.

<insert cliche>

But I do like the idea of Preview Night being extended though I also like the semi-exclusive feel to it.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Transmute Jun

But I do like the idea of Preview Night being extended though I also like the semi-exclusive feel to it.

I don't think the idea floated was for Preview Night to be extended, but rather for Preview Night to be moved to Tuesday, making Wednesday a proper, full day.

I also like the 'exclusive' feel to Preview Night... or I would, if it weren't so darn crowded! ;)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
Fair enough. I would expect an increase in badge prices/number of badges sold to compensate for these additional difficulties.

It's not just about badge sales to compensate for monetary needs.  It's more about manpower to run the convention.  Would they even potentially be available for that extended time period?  Honestly, I would be dead tired after four/five days as a convention staffer--imagine a full week with little rest and high levels of stress to make sure everything is going smoothly and putting out any "fires" they might come across.  It's one thing to be an attendee; it's another to be helping out with running the convention.

I do, however, understand both sides.  It's a rather difficult dilemma either way.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
It's not just about badge sales to compensate for monetary needs.  It's more about manpower to run the convention.  Would they even potentially be available for that extended time period? <snip>

well, i think it's safe to say the hourly employees would be at time and a half after 4-5 days so to add an extra day wouldn't cost the same amt but more by a factor of 1/2
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
It might be really cool if they moved to a staggered model like SXSW. The way it runs is that there is a day or two of overlap in content but the 3 topics run on different tracks. So you end up with something like:

Offline Transmute Jun

It might be really cool if they moved to a staggered model like SXSW. The way it runs is that there is a day or two of overlap in content but the 3 topics run on different tracks. So you end up with something like:

That's interesting... I wonder if the studios would be willing to agree to that?

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
That's interesting... I wonder if the studios would be willing to agree to that?

The music industry does for south by. I think All in SXSW is probably bigger than SDCC and this has worked well as that con evolved. It is *very* similar. Industry + public, tons of hype, different major tracks.

As someone who's been to both cons multiple times, I can't believe I never identified the difference in pattern before. If CCI pushed the con to 8 days and did a different setup for the exhibit hall, it could work very well. Start the comics on the current schedule and then stagger in hollywood on Sat and run it to the following Wed. or vice versa.