Author Topic: Andor ; Spoiler (when it airs)  (Read 1632 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Andor ; Spoiler (when it airs)
« on: August 10, 2022, 02:07:48 PM »

a nice long season!  :o  :)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Andor ; Spoiler (when it airs)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 02:35:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

a nice long season!  :o  :)
Exciting; this story (what feels from ads to be the birth of the Rebellion) feels like it has time to breathe!  Very glad to see this getting some space to develop long stories, introduce us to fully-formed characters, etc.  Hyped to see 12 eps of this!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:37:27 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:42:08 PM »
imax Rogue One tix are on sale for the end of this month. There's suppose to be a longer Andor clip.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Online perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Andor (minor-but-not-really) Spoilers
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 10:04:40 AM »
Wow, what a great series so far: it's taking its time developing characters, backstory, situation/story, etc. and letting things "breathe" a bit.  This feels every bit as 'mature' as ROGUE ONE, where our title character hero is introduced (reintroduced for those who saw ROGUE ONE) via murder: similar to how he was initially introduced to us in ROGUE ONE.  I kinda love that after three episodes, I'm still not sure where this relatively long story is headed, but I don't care.  I'm bought into these characters and I'm excited to see where they take us. 
I love how they baked in actor Diego Luna's non-American heritage by deeming his character a non-traditional SW character: from what feels like a pseudo-primitive culture that doesn't speak the common language, doesn't utilize tech, etc.  Putting their language non-subtitled to put the audience at the disadvantage helps underscore just how isolated Cassian may feel in a new world, and intercutting his past with his present was a great artistic choice.

So far everything feels at worst solid, if not flat-out real good.  Production designs (yea: it's obvious that they filmed at least in some outdoor locations vs just a backlot/soundstage!), character designs (there were some fun practical alien background characters roaming the streets), etc. are all top notch and what we've come to expect from Disney+ SW series.  Heck, this looks like what I'd expect from a Blade Runner series, and when one tracks the SW universe from Episode 1 through Obi-Wan and now Andor, you can easily track how the Empire seemingly let the universe quickly devolve as far as tech and societies go.  Part of that is by necessity, of course, since the tech from the late 70's/early 80's eps 4-6 was much lower-tech than what Lucas did with the prequels so matching the look of the OT is integral, but I've enjoyed seeing these various Disney+ series give us looks into the working-class SW citizens: miners in Andor, farmers, factory workers, fishermen, etc. in other series.  Come to think of it, Rian Johnson has given us a rare glimpse at the wealthy class of the SW universe with the side trip to Canto Bight.  Here in Andor director Toby Haynes does a great show _showing_ us Cassian's lifestyle and background, rather than telling us via expository dialogue, and I'll always appreciate that type of storytelling.   
I also really dig the score, by composer Nicholas Britell.  Britell delivers a very different SW musical accompaniment that seemingly establishes we're in a story a bit off the beaten-path of the Skywalker saga.  Utilizing a synth motif that once again reminds me of living in a Blade Runner series, he does a wonderful job blazing his own path rather than feeling beholden to John Williams' wonderfully classic scoring of most of the films.  The music in all of the SW series has been wonderful, don't get me wrong, with Ludwig Göransson’s work on The Mandalorian also notably feeling very different from John Williams's work.  Britell's music feels like even more of a departure from the SW musical familiarity that the composers of Obi-Wan stayed close to (with good reason, of course, since Williams composed a new theme for Obi-Wan and the other composers either adapted is theme, or composed new music 'around' it).

Post-sequels I've found my SW interest being piqued far more by "side stories" and characters/situations that don't intersect much with the main Skywalker saga.  I mostly dug the relative unevenness of Obi-Wan & Book of Fett, but I think Mandalorian and now Andor, not too beholden to connecting dots back to a SW film and given more space to live and breathe on their own, are far more interesting to me.  I know that Andor will connect with ROGUE ONE (which neatly connected with A NEW HOPE rather seamlessly, minus some potentially distracting CGI), but this series feels like they're using Andor as a vessel to tell a larger story about the beginning days of the Rebellion.  When director Gareth Edwards set out to make ROGUE ONE, his goal was to not focus on Jedi and whatnot (though in that regard did he 'fail' by delivering the most epic Darth Vader sequence captured on the big screen?!) but rather on the "boots on the ground" full-scale war of the Rebellion.  Andor feels like it's aiming to capture that same spirit, albeit five years earlier into said war, and I'm really excited to see how this shapes up.  Many of the new characters are still fairly vague, with just enough of their character shaded so we know who to root for or against.  There's of course a new droid in mix, which is another unique design for a fun sidekick who's already incredibly separated from the main character so who knows how much B2EMO will factor into the story (SW merchandizing history tells us likely quite a bit).  I'm all-in on this series that has kicked-off with tight storytelling, intriguing characters, and a wide-open pallet for potential story.  We're only 3 eps into a 24-episode two-season run, so there's a long way to go, but I'm here to see how this Rebellion kicks off!