Author Topic: Movie Speculation Thread  (Read 22860 times)

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
Re: Movie Speculation Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they do have a Disney panel and they have anything at all done on the third Tron movie they would probably show it at SDCC. They were showing test footage and having events at SDCC for years before Tron Legacy came out. Disney knows how rabid the Tron following at SDCC is.

I'm just pretty ecstatic to hear there is a Tron following at SDCC!!

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
Movie Speculation Thread
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »
I'd be down with a Tron sequel panel, very much so - I just don't see it happening...

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:32:16 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
It doesn't make a lot of sense financially for Disney to pull out from SDCC in favor of D23. Companies put up booths ad have panels at these conventions to generate fan buzz and get media coverage. SDCC is far more widely covered by print and television media than D23, so passing over SDCC for D23 really make no sense and Disney rarely makes poor marketing decisions.

Well, Disney did that in 2011 (No Disney film panels, no Marvel film panels) and AVENGERS became the third highest grossing film of all-time.  The whole point of Disney not having the high profile panels at Comic-Con and instead holding out and having them at D23 is to get more press.
It's funny, because leading up to Comic-Con 2011 when the rumors in June were that Disney would hold out, I was making the same arguments many around here were (especially because at that time AVENGERS was sort of a big risk: that seems funny now in hindsight, but going in Comic-Con 2011 CAPTAIN AMERICA wasn't released yet, THOR was doing OK but not great, and AVENGERS success could've been a flip of the coin), and I was SHOCKED that there was not a Marvel movie panel at Comic-Con in 2011. 

Disney holding out on Comic-Con and instead having high profile movie panels at their own D23 seemed to work out pretty well for them, as the attendance was up significantly, they got WAY more press coverage with RDJ in attendance and of course AVENGERS made truck-loads of cash.  Why would Disney change strategy this year?

**note**
I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but history + corporate logic doesn't seem to point in that direction...  :(

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
I'd be down with a Tron sequel panel, very much so - I just don't see it happening...

Yeah, the guy who shepherd that film into production was fired from Disney not long after JOHN CARTER from Mars tanked at the box office.  Disney might try to force the issue, but the whole reason the corporation pushed a Tron sequel (and the John Carter film, for that matter) was because they were trying to produce live-action movies that would attract a key demo of teenage/young-adult males.  Now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars, there's no need to sink resources in a twice-proven non-hit franchise like Tron.

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:31 AM »
Yeah, the guy who shepherd that film into production was fired from Disney not long after JOHN CARTER from Mars tanked at the box office.  Disney might try to force the issue, but the whole reason the corporation pushed a Tron sequel (and the John Carter film, for that matter) was because they were trying to produce live-action movies that would attract a key demo of teenage/young-adult males.  Now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars, there's no need to sink resources in a twice-proven non-hit franchise like Tron.

I need to go find my happy place now.

Offline bettiebloodshed

• Gaming Lounge
    • My cosplay page!
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
As of October, there was still hope for Tron 3--and that was after the John Carter fiasco. The Tron: Uprising panel had mentioned it, and after the panel, some of us talked about the possibility. I'm not counting it out yet. Sadly there won't be a Tron: U panel, since it didn't get picked up for a second season--that panel last year was a blast.
Owner of When Nerds Attack .com

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 04:41:26 PM »
As of October, there was still hope for Tron 3--and that was after the John Carter fiasco. The Tron: Uprising panel had mentioned it, and after the panel, some of us talked about the possibility. I'm not counting it out yet. Sadly there won't be a Tron: U panel, since it didn't get picked up for a second season--that panel last year was a blast.

Yeah, you never know.  The TRON LEGACY panel was also a blast: they recorded Hall H yelling different phrases, and used it in the early Arena scene (when Sam fights Rizzler).  My son, who was eight at the time, LOVED it!  Also, for two years Disney brought Flynn's Arcade to the Gaslamp, which was an incredible experience.
I'm all for another Tron movie.  The sequel wasn't a masterpiece, but it was fun enough for me and my son (and my wife, for that matter).

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »
I'm just pretty ecstatic to hear there is a Tron following at SDCC!!

I was at the panel in Hall H, when they did some sound recordings of the fans yelling out the character names for the movie. I never really checked to see if those recordings were used or not
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Online Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
I was in hall H for that panel to, it was great.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
I don't think clerks 3 will be there considering Kevin Smith literally just started writing the script 4 days ago. I would suspect it would be at least 2 years for it to see light maybe longer as evidenced by how long he took to try to get Hit Somebody off the ground and Red State to be released.

He'll probably talk about it on saturday when he does his Q&A session in Hall H though.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »
Hey all this list is just complete speculation and by no means thorough, but I think at least some of these movies have a good shot at having panels at the Con:

The Wolverine
Red 2
300 Part 2
Elysium
Kick Ass 2
Riddick
Machete 2 (less likely)
Sin City 2
Clerks 3
Thor 2
Hunger Games: Catching Fire (though I know Jennifer Lawrence isn't a big fan of comic-con panels)
Hobbit part II
Anchorman 2 (Ferrell being there last year+ the first being about San Diego have this as my dark horse pick)
Muppets 2 (BIG Stretch with D23 on its heels)
X Men: First Class 2

That's all I could think of in terms of movies that fit the comic-con profile that have yet to be confirmed.  Any other movies you all are hoping for?

Not many sequels on that list  ;)

Any of those would be rather good for me as I'm over more for the film stuff than anything else.

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
Movie Speculation Thread
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 03:54:52 AM »
Still hoping beyond hope for some Tron stuff - and really hoping that James Gunn pulls his finger out and brings some Guardians stuff with hike, too!

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »
Do you think Michael Bay's bastardized TMNT will make an appearance somewhere?

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 07:15:36 AM »
Do you think Michael Bay's bastardized TMNT will make an appearance somewhere?

If it does, they should hand out tomatos to the audience.

Offline taigirl87

• Room 6BCF
    • Two Married Geeks
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
If it does, they should hand out tomatos to the audience.

;D YES!!!! or we could bring out own... *whistles*