Author Topic: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?  (Read 11578 times)

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
Re: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 01:54:03 PM »
I just don't see Anaheim hotels buying into TP's hotel block especially in the middle of summer and at the height of vacation season for the Disneyland resort area.   although the Anaheim convention center does host NAMM, be of the largest cons out there, that's during mid-late January, a much slower period for Anaheim tourism.   Honestly, I don't know that in July there would be that many rooms available for Comic Con. 

And as for WC, I feel obligated to go next year since it'll just be a quick railway trip but would not like to see it become the future home for any CCI events.  The SDCC infrastructure and campus is not something easily duplicated in other cities.   

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
My wife and I have already decided we won't be going to WonderCon next year with the move.  We went to Celebration 4 in LA and last year we went to Comikaze.  We aren't fans of downtown LA and that convention center area.  It's kind of lifeless.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:26:52 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
bit of housekeeping,

I've split the discussion abt the David Glanzers statements during the wc talkback panel regarding the sdcc hotel block & the possible reasons to move.
new thread is located in the SDCC general discussion area since it's primarily about SDCC moving and the rational for it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 02:46:17 PM »
I really don't believe WC's supposed temporary move to LA is in any way a "test" for SDCC to move. I would believe them if they say that they can't be limited to the room constraints during construction, because WC is truly becoming quite the sized event compared to what it was several years ago.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 03:06:17 PM »
It made me sad that they didn't re-consider SF again but after having gone to Wondercon at Anaheim twice, I can see why they prefer to stay (presumably) in Anaheim. It really is a superior convention center compared to Moscone especially the number of meeting rooms that Moscone is lacking (like the 300AB/DE-sized rooms). I assume the LA convention center is also bigger than Moscone.

it's my understanding the **real** problem with the Moscone ct is the simple fact that they will not book farther out then 3-6month.  CCI can't deal with booking & sorting a major show like WC in a 3 month window. it's just not fesible with the current organizational structure.  Reed pop may be able to do that because it has **way** more employees then CCI.

Honestly hearing this takes Wonder Con from being probably my favorite convention (due to the laid-back feel) to not even really wanting to go.  <snip>
agreed, i love the campus feel to both sdcc and wc.  trying to contain the vibe of wc into a single building is...a shame.  Plus as an east coaster & speaking for all us from the northern climit, we go to so cal for teh weather.  I can not express how nice it is to seem 3" of snow on my home town while I was at WC.

As a frequent visitor of LA, I've gone to so many Lakers/Clippers games, concerts at both the Nokia theater and Staples Center, Anime expo and Comikaze. There are quite a few parking structures surrounding the convention center. There are even independent parking lots within a few blocks. I've never had a problem with finding parking. The prices for these lots are just as expensive as what you would find in Gaslamp during SDCC. Traffic will most definitely be the biggest deterrent in next year's Wondercon attendance.
Can you work up a first 'how to' post on parking for the 2016 WC?  i'll sticky it  ;)

This was something I didn’t see coming and actually makes me want to go next year...  :o

I have the feeling that there’s more to the move than space at Anaheim being unavailable during construction. After all, they used construction as an excuse to move away from SF despite being offered dates that year. Transparency isn’t CCI’s strong point. Either they want to test out the LA convention center to see if they could hold Comic-Con there, or they permanently move WC to LA as they get ready to move CC to A in 2017.

From scanning Facebook comments, I’m glad to see that people aren’t falling for the “temporary” line this time.
I was at the TB panel & it sure seemed like CCI was not looking forward to putting WC into the LA Center-  I do not think they wanted this move and like the take over the campus vibe of wc but they could not do WC without the Arena.

it will be **very** interesting to see what kind of interest cci gets from the movie industry, more clebs & panels etc
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline SteamPink

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
For me personally, it has huge advantages - we live closer to Downtown LA, so it'll be more convenient and cheaper since we won't need a hotel.  I'll probably just go Saturday, and skip Sunday or make it a short day so we can have Easter dinner at home for the first time in years (assuming it's still Easter weekend).

I'll agree that Downtown LA - while there is a lot more going on there than 10 years ago - does not have the charm of Anaheim.  As Disneyland AP holders, we loved being able to go to the parks before or after the con. 

For us, WonderCon in Anaheim felt like a nice little mini-vacation.  In Downtown LA, it'll be more like a one-day local show, like Comikaze.

I was at the TB panel & it sure seemed like CCI was not looking forward to putting WC into the LA Center-  I do not think they wanted this move and like the take over the campus vibe of wc but they could not do WC without the Arena.

I was there too! I think I saw you.  They definitely didn't seem super excited about the move.
2018 Cons: Long Beach Comic Expo; WonderCon; Comic Revolution; Long Beach Comic Con; Comikaze

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
Not that this means anything, but LA isn’t acting like this is only a temporary one-year move:

"Los Angeles is honored to have been selected as the destination for WonderCon 2016," said L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti in a statement. "We look forward to establishing a long-term partnership with Comic-Con International, the presenter, and helping them establish a home-base in L.A. We anticipate the show to be highly attended and to set the precedent for future successful Comic-Con events in L.A.”

SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
It will indeed be very interesting to see what interest CCI gets from film studios.  I imagine it'll be quite considerable as they'll be able to deliver more on a considerably smaller budget.  You may even be able to get surprise unannounced guests. 

Also, I feel there may be even more locals attending than at the Anaheim Wonder Cons.  Not to mention a tremendous spike in professional and press registration. 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:41:50 PM by brand4d2 »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »
Not that this means anything, but LA isn’t acting like this is only a temporary one-year move:

"Los Angeles is honored to have been selected as the destination for WonderCon 2016," said L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti in a statement. "We look forward to establishing a long-term partnership with Comic-Con International, the presenter, and helping them establish a home-base in L.A. We anticipate the show to be highly attended and to set the precedent for future successful Comic-Con events in L.A.”

of course they are...LOL

Offline Mike

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »

It will indeed be very interesting to see what interest CCI gets from film studios.  I imagine it'll be quite considerable as they'll be able to deliver more on a considerably smaller budget.  You may even be able to get surprise unannounced guests.

I could definitely see that happening with so many celebs and associates being local to the area. It'd be easy for a coordinator to set up a "game day decision" appearance by any given Hollywood actor.

And then there's the possibility of musical performances like what we saw during SDCC with MTV's Fanfest. That was a fantastic experience and although I maintain San Diego is a far better venue for such a thing to happen (clean air anyone?) I do believe it is certainly possible in the LA area with the proper coordination.

...and gas masks.

Offline seerakosumosu

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 06:42:08 PM »
I've gotten used to LACC since Anime Expo has been there for several years. There have recently been several hotels constructed nearby - JW Marriott, Residence Inn, Courtyard, and Luxe. The only problem is that they are pricey!

OTOH, there would be more of a Hollywood presence at the convention due to it being in LA, as others have mentioned.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »

Garcetti used to be the councilman for my district and due to his history of over promising and under delivering, I'd not be inclined to put much stock into his statements. 

That being said, for those veterans that bemoan the "Hollywoodification" of SDCC, this could be their greatest wish fulfilled if Wonder Con LA really hits the ground running as the premiere tv/film event of CCI.   Also, LA as the possible new home of Wonder Con effectively takes it out of the running for SDCC plus makes it much unlikelier that Anaheim would get it.  (Personally I think we in Los Angeles are more likely to get the Chargers and Raiders and Rams before we would get CCI's crown jewel.) 

Late March-early April probably works better for networks and studios anyhow because then they can promote series finales and/or summer blockbuster films. 

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 09:22:48 PM »
Late March-early April probably works better for networks and studios anyhow because then they can promote series finales and/or summer blockbuster films.

If they really wanted to devote a convention to mainly TV shows, placing it in late August or early September would be best because the shows would be able to promote their fall premiere. Also it's in their early days of shooting and their stars wouldn't be as tired to promote the show yet. This year's Wondercon took place in early April and barely any TV shows showed up to promote their series finale. I don't think it's a coincidence that half of the shows that did panels like Salem, Falling Skies, and Orphan Black were there to promote their season premieres.

Not sure why the studios couldn't be bothered to promote their summer blockbuster movies at Wondercon.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 09:35:52 PM »
I've heard this from a couple places, and wonder if it's legit but the sales team at Moscone were said to be getting bonuses on booking new business, not old, so that would lead them to work with getting new conventions to attend.

I really enjoyed Comikaze in LA last year, and was impressed at the long lines for the comic book artists. I helped a friend's booth by being a CGC witness for signings, so I stood in a number of those lines ;)

I will attend WC in LA next year. The "atrium" entry into that place is stunning! Parking, if you get there early enough, is real close to the show floor. I parked at a car lot further away (a bit further than Car Lot 4 is from the show floor in Anaheim) but the walk was all indoors, and good signage/directions all around so even I didn't get lost. I imagine that LA has put a great deal together to lure Comic-Con to their city, and this "test" may just be part of it.
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 12:51:26 AM »
There is an L.A. Metro station in Long Beach that has free parking.  I can just park my car in Long Beach and take the blue line light rail to the L.A. Convention Center.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019