Author Topic: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?  (Read 63588 times)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« Reply #405 on: March 26, 2020, 06:10:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Has anyone here asked for a refund yet?  And if so have they mentioned waiving the fee?
I mean if so many of you aren't going for sure already, surely some one has started the process.

I just sent an email asking.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #406 on: March 26, 2020, 08:33:36 AM »
Another Day....Another game of "Will They Cancel or Not Cancel Comic Con? Step on down.... :-[

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #407 on: Today at 12:54:42 PM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #407 on: March 26, 2020, 10:06:13 AM »
As I posted before, I emailed CCI about the 10% fee. After failing to answer my question about it being waived and just saying the con is still planned to happen, I email again saying I understand that but if someone felt uncomfortable about traveling/attending, would the 10% fees still be charged. The answer is yes.

Offline daudino

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #408 on: March 26, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »
Thanks for checking, sucks that they can't be more understanding at this time, but good for folks to know I suppose.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #409 on: March 26, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
Thanks for checking, sucks that they can't be more understanding at this time, but good for folks to know I suppose.

You're welcome!

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #410 on: March 26, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
A good indication they will take every opportunity to not cancel even though it will be a very limited show and not what we paid for.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #411 on: March 26, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
I think they will end up canceling and give us a choice of keeping our badges for next year or requesting a full refund. That’s what many mainstream arts organizations, including mine, are doing with cancelled performances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #412 on: March 26, 2020, 11:24:09 AM »
If SDCC screws up and doesn't handle this right. That will be the end of SDCC as we know it. If any studios or exhibitors want to back out and SDCC says no. They won't be coming back. Great opportunity for another promoter to take over. They need to bite the bullet and cancel until next year. All about greed. The White House would be proud.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #413 on: March 26, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »
I think they will end up canceling and give us a choice of keeping our badges for next year or requesting a full refund. That’s what many mainstream arts organizations, including mine, are doing with cancelled performances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely the best option.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2020, 11:44:51 AM »
I think it's a little too soon to call SDCC "greedy" and throw them under the bus. They are a non-profit and although their absolute budget is huge, their organization and staff are really small. They have contracts already in place for this year that they may not be able to get out of - or at least that they may not be able to get out of YET. They might need to wait on making a final decision until local governments have issued more concrete statements about gatherings during that timeframe, in order to keep their financial commitments.

Also, while I love SDCC, communication with attendees has never been their strong suit. Just because as of right now they are not waiving the 10% fee does not mean they won't change that policy down the line. If you need a refund right now, then that sucks, but frankly, a lot sucks right now. If you don't need the refund immediately, I suggest waiting and seeing if their policy evolves - or considering that 10% as a donation to keep SDCC alive.

Even if the con doesn't happen this year, SDCC has already paid EPIC for their services and the credit card interchange fees. Those costs won't be refunded to them either. So it sucks for everyone.

I agree that if the convention happens this year it will probably be reduced and "not what we paid for". But if they are allowed to hold it , it might be the difference between having a "terrible" con this year and a normal one in 2021 - or NEVER having one again.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
They could 100% change their mind about the fee, and it even says that on the Refund page on the CCI website. I was just passing along what I was told since I did see someone ask if anyone had questioned them about the fee.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »
I just saw Carina McKenzie (the head writer for Roswell, NM) say she was "pretty bummed about [SDCC] being cancelled" on her Instagram stories. Obviously, this probably doesn't mean much, except that she's assuming that it's going to be cancelled, but OTOH she did say it like it's a foregone conclusion so I wonder if the studios (Carina works with the CW) are already taking that same mindset.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #417 on: March 26, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »
I just saw Carina McKenzie (the head writer for Roswell, NM) say she was "pretty bummed about [SDCC] being cancelled" on her Instagram stories. Obviously, this probably doesn't mean much, except that she's assuming that it's going to be cancelled, but OTOH she did say it like it's a foregone conclusion so I wonder if the studios (Carina works with the CW) are already taking that same mindset.

I'm sure studios and networks have probably already made up their minds about being at the show, even if it does happen. With filming shut down on pretty much everything, if things do "slow down" I'm sure these networks and studios will be more concerned about getting back to filming than attending a con.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #418 on: March 26, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »
The ONLY reason I have not requested a refund yet is in the hopes I can apply the badges to 2021. I do not want to attend this year because SDCC is going to suck this year if it happens. No one can dispute that fact. But if they don't cancel by the refund cutoff, I will request a refund and take the 10% hit. My real concern is the one group badge that someone else, whoever that was, paid for. Not sure I will ever see that money again.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #419 on: March 26, 2020, 12:49:31 PM »
A good indication they will take every opportunity to not cancel even though it will be a very limited show and not what we paid for.

If SDCC screws up and doesn't handle this right. That will be the end of SDCC as we know it. If any studios or exhibitors want to back out and SDCC says no. They won't be coming back. Great opportunity for another promoter to take over. They need to bite the bullet and cancel until next year. All about greed. The White House would be proud.

We pay for badges knowing nothing about the show, other than maybe a few comic guests that 99+% of attendees don't care about. If you are sure that the show is not going to be what you want this year and are waiting to see if they give you the option to roll them over to 2021 then fair enough, but if you're just going to talk smack about them based on things that may or may not happen in the next 4 months then it seems it would be better to just to cancel your badge and get the 10% back while you have the option.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15