Author Topic: Today, would YOU go to SDCC? **If you change your mind, u can change your VOTE**  (Read 26681 times)

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i agree, CCI has to go along with whatever Gov. Newsom & Mayor Faulconer think best. The stories out of NYC are heart breaking.

I am coming around to changing my vote from 'yes with disinfectant' to 'No'

I would say take whatever images you are getting from the media with a grain of salt.

I live in NY. Not NYC, but in the suburbs.  I did a big drive around the NY metro area today.  I stayed in my car the entire time, and did not interact with anyone.  It was very easy, as there is no traffic (the only good thing about this crisis).  I drove by a number of hospitals, Urgent Cares, and a test center.  The test center is a pop up, and there was a line, but it was manageable.  The hospitals are obviously making additional provisions, but I didn't notice any long lines.  As for the Urgent Cares...The one I use didn't have any more cars than normal, and another one was closed (which surprised me).  What I also noticed were people were doing their best to go about their business.  People were walking, jogging, and biking.  Obviously there were a lot less, but some were out just the same.  Some wearing masks, and some not.  Mostly maintaining their distance, but there were couples holding hands.  I have to say, my spidey senses are not jiving with the concern I'm getting from my out of state friends.  I'm not saying this is not serious.  Obviously people dying is a serious matter.  I'm just saying hold off on your judgement on what's going on here (and everywhere), until more data comes in.

I'm a senior and 'technically' in the at risk group (over 65).  I'm still not changing my vote.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
I don't think there's any chance of comic-con happening this year.  I think the question is whether there will be a comic-con next year.

IMO, the only reason CCI hasn't cancelled is that it needs to be sure you can recoup as much of it's losses as it can from insurance.  That insurance probably will not pay out if they cancel by choice.  If they cancelled now, it would be by choice.  It doesn't matter how much demand there is for tickets if there's no CCI left to sell them.

This year is done.  There's the second wave that the government has finally started preparing the public for.  Would anyone go to a big con with the expectation that the second wave could happen while it's going on?  Even if they wanted to hold it, what studio has anything to promote?  Movie releases are an unknown.  Production has stopped on TV shows and movies.  Sports channels won't be the only outlet running reruns when the current content that's been produced runs out.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
I would say take whatever images you are getting from the media with a grain of salt.

I live in NY. Not NYC, but in the suburbs.  I did a big drive around the NY metro area today.  I stayed in my car the entire time, and did not interact with anyone.  It was very easy, as there is no traffic (the only good thing about this crisis).  I drove by a number of hospitals, Urgent Cares, and a test center.  The test center is a pop up, and there was a line, but it was manageable.  The hospitals are obviously making additional provisions, but I didn't notice any long lines.  As for the Urgent Cares...The one I use didn't have any more cars than normal, and another one was closed (which surprised me).  What I also noticed were people were doing their best to go about their business.  People were walking, jogging, and biking.  Obviously there were a lot less, but some were out just the same.  Some wearing masks, and some not.  Mostly maintaining their distance, but there were couples holding hands.  I have to say, my spidey senses are not jiving with the concern I'm getting from my out of state friends.  I'm not saying this is not serious.  Obviously people dying is a serious matter.  I'm just saying hold off on your judgement on what's going on here (and everywhere), until more data comes in.

I'm a senior and 'technically' in the at risk group (over 65).  I'm still not changing my vote.   :)
i hear u. The lack of traffic in SD is a small bit of joy. i'm learning to ride a motorcycle so it's especially nice. yes, i just ride about with no interactions also.
 It's nice just to get out of the house.
I've got a family friend who's a gp doc and practices close to the Tapinze Bridge- we haven't heard much aside from she's really busy tela-doc'ing. I haven't wanted to bother my emergency room friend who works on long island. Last i heard she was not confident with the preparations.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
Should things go back to normal so quickly after an epidemic?  When it's not even clear that it's been dealt with?  The Chinese are doing that experiment right now.  Check out this line that would put any line at comic-con to shame.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
I don't think there's any chance of comic-con happening this year.  I think the question is whether there will be a comic-con next year.

IMO, the only reason CCI hasn't cancelled is that it needs to be sure you can recoup as much of it's losses as it can from insurance.  That insurance probably will not pay out if they cancel by choice.  If they cancelled now, it would be by choice.  It doesn't matter how much demand there is for tickets if there's no CCI left to sell them.

This year is done.  There's the second wave that the government has finally started preparing the public for.  Would anyone go to a big con with the expectation that the second wave could happen while it's going on?  Even if they wanted to hold it, what studio has anything to promote?  Movie releases are an unknown.  Production has stopped on TV shows and movies.  Sports channels won't be the only outlet running reruns when the current content that's been produced runs out.

I don't think there's any question if it'll happen next year.   By then that would be the tail end of the 18 month guideline for production of a vaccine.  Jan to Feb of 2020 to July 2021.  If anything there would be more of a drive to do it next year. 

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Should things go back to normal so quickly after an epidemic?  When it's not even clear that it's been dealt with? 

Well let's see, we have some conservative politicians who have said that nothing should have shut down because the economy is more important, even if a lot of people die.  There are conservative members of the media who have advocated the same.  We have some governors who refuse to issue stay at home orders, and social distancing doesn't exist in some of those states.  We've had the most unemployment claims since 2009, and the longer this drags on, the more those claims will go up.  At some point people will be advocating to go back to work even if that risks getting infected because they have to pay bills and mortgages.  We have a president who wanted to reopen everything by Easter.  Yes, he extended social distancing recommendations to April 30, but he also said it would be better to end them early than to extend them again -- i.e. expect him to left them in May.  He also said over the weekend that he expects the NFL season to start on time.  Plus, it's an election year, and the state of the economy factors into how people vote.  So "should" things return to normal so quickly?  Probably not.  Do I think they will anyway due to politicians valuing their political careers and the economy over lives lost?  Absolutely.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
I don't think there's any question if it'll happen next year.   By then that would be the tail end of the 18 month guideline for production of a vaccine.  Jan to Feb of 2020 to July 2021.  If anything there would be more of a drive to do it next year.

That's "aspirational".  Vaccines normally take 24-60 months to develop.  And even then some vaccines that were thought to work, didn't.  18 months would be a breakneck speed.  They are getting to that date by foregoing the phase 2 and phase 3 clinical trials.  All but one that is.  One vaccine candidate is doing a phase 2.  The trial that proves it works.

Even it it could be done in that short a period of time, chances are there would not be much of it.  Enough for healthcare workers, first responders and people in government.  Not enough for you and me.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
That's "aspirational".  Vaccines normally take 24-60 months to develop.  And even then some vaccines that were thought to work, didn't.  18 months would be a breakneck speed.  They are getting to that date by foregoing the phase 2 and phase 3 clinical trials.  All but one that is.  One vaccine candidate is doing a phase 2.  The trial that proves it works.

Even it it could be done in that short a period of time, chances are there would not be much of it.  Enough for healthcare workers, first responders and people in government.  Not enough for you and me.

There's a 0% chance that the world is shut down this time next year.  While you say "aspirational" I say pragmatic.  There's a trillion reasons they will have public gatherings this time next year.  Less so because of SDCC's pull; more because of the national sporting leagues run by billionaires exerting influence and power.  Whether it's perfect? We don't know.  It's hard to predict what'll happen in a month let alone 18.  I just find it hard to believe.  ymmv. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
There's a 0% chance that the world is shut down this time next year.  While you say "aspirational" I say pragmatic.  There's a trillion reasons they will have public gatherings this time next year.  Less so because of SDCC's pull; more because of the national sporting leagues run by billionaires exerting influence and power.  Whether it's perfect? We don't know.  It's hard to predict what'll happen in a month let alone 18.  I just find it hard to believe.  ymmv.

There's a huge difference between having the world shutdown and having large public gatherings.  The world gets along fine without large public events.  China reversed itself and closed it's movie theaters again.  This where they consider the virus defeated domestically.  Their concern is about people flying into China and bringing it back in.

Science doesn't work on a business schedule.  It happens when it happens.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:03:56 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
There's a huge difference between having the world shutdown and having large public gatherings.  The world gets along just fine without large public events.  China reversed itself and closed it's movie theaters again.  This where they consider the virus defeated.  Their concern is about people flying into China and bringing it back in.

Science doesn't work on a business schedule.  It happens when it happens.

We all know China is lying through their teeth about their numbers.  So I'm not sure how that's a salient point.  No one considers CV19 defeated there beyond Chinese nationals.   But that's off topic.  Anyway; no point in arguing over this.  My point stands; we don't know what next year holds.  But I'd be willing to bet large public gatherings (which are a billion dollar industry) will not hold for the next 2-5 years.  Just a hunch.  It's entire cities livelihoods like Las Vegas.  Security measures put in place? Sure. Outright cancellation? Let's earmark this and talk next July.

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
Also, let's not forget that certain people in authority have limited to zero interest in what science says, especially when they think it might hurt their election chances.  You're talking about big events next year.  I believe the billion dollar big events will return by October, in time for the election.  And even if there is another resurgence of the virus, I think there is a 0% chance of another shutdown, regardless of the body count.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
What I think will be interesting is how individuals are reacting in say 6 months.  Even if the politicians reopen everything will people jump right back in?  Or will they keep on working from home, if possible?  Will they buy tickets to sit in a crowded sports stadium or concert venue?  Restaurants and smaller gatherings should rebound fairly quickly, if not at 100% of previous levels, but large gatherings could be a completely different story.  I know I'll be changing my behavior until there is a vaccine.

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
Pretty sure people in southern states will riot if they can’t go to their college football games.  South Carolina hasn’t issued a stay at home order order and photos from there look like business as usual. If Clemson football started tomorrow, I’m sure every one of the 80,000 seats in the stadium would be taken.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
I'm a Buckeye fan so I totally get the desire/need to attend football games.  But c'mon people!

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
And if the governor lifted the stay at home order and the season started tomorrow, can you really say thousands of people wouldn’t go to the game?