Author Topic: WB/Legendary Films (The Hobbit), Hall H, 2:30-5:00  (Read 18893 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
WB/Legendary Films (The Hobbit), Hall H, 2:30-5:00
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:44:05 AM »
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey-From Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). Jackson returns to Middle-earth in an adventure that begins 60 years before the events depicted in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The first of two films adapted from J.R.R. Tolkien's enduringly popular masterpiece, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey follows titular Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman), who-along with the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and a band of 13 Dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage)-is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug. The film's ensemble cast includes Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lily, and Andy Serkis as Gollum. Hall H

"Jackson <snip> introducing his film at the CinemaCon convention for theater owners on the Las Vegas Strip."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If PJ is doing Con's this early, he most likely will be doing SDCC 2012...<grin>

full text

By CRISTINA SILVA, Associated Press

6:03 p.m., April 24, 2012

LAS VEGAS - Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" is preparing to leave the shire.

The director of the Oscar-winning "Lord of the Rings" trilogy previewed 10 minutes of assorted footage Tuesday from his upcoming prequel.

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," was filmed in New Zealand using more frames per second than the Hollywood standard. Jackson said in a video introduction that using 48 frames per second produces a smoother image.

The movie could usher in a new era of filmmaking and require film houses across the globe to embrace digital technology.

Jackson said the human eye no longer sees individual pictures under the faster speed, but a steady stream of clear images.

"The movement feels more real," Jackson said while introducing his film at the CinemaCon convention for theater owners on the Las Vegas Strip. "It's much more gentle on the eyes."

Indeed, the footage was vivid, with grass blades, facial lines and soaring mountains appearing luminous and pronounced. The actors looked almost touchable, as if they were performing live on stage.

It's unclear what the final product will look like when it's released in December. Jackson said he was still editing the movie and the shared footage included green screens that will eventually be used to add in scenery, action or special effects.

Other digital pioneers are making the same push for higher film speeds. "Avatar" creator James Cameron has promised to shoot the sequel to his science-fiction blockbuster at 48 or 60 frames a second.

Jackson warned the new approach would take time to adjust to. Some bloggers agreed, quickly branding the footage released Tuesday as a failure in digital technology. The critics claimed the unfinished scenes looked like a low-budget TV show.

British actor Martin Freeman stars as Bilbo Baggins, the hobbit who acquires the evil ring that sets the action of "The Lord of the Rings" in motion.

The footage showed Baggins lost in Gollum's cave. Andy Serkis' portrayal of the strange creature known for his "precious" obsession and speaking in the third person is just as disturbing as it was in the trilogy, with Baggins forced to appeal to Gollum's love of games to survive.

Ian McKellen, reprising the role of the wizard Gandalf, persuades Baggins to leave the shire and join him on his journey. The footage of the hobbit's hometown is stunning, with each color having almost a neon glow.

There were other brief snippets of story. Orlando Bloom, as the elf Legolas, was shown with his character's flowing, blonde hair. McKellen toured an ancient tomb that he surmised once housed someone evil. Trolls engaged in battle.

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is the first chapter in Jackson's two-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy classic.

The two films were shot simultaneously in 3-D, with the second one, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," due in theaters in December 2013.

The final installment of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy swept the Academy Awards with 11 trophies, including best picture and director, in 2003.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:39:48 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
Re: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:29:44 AM »
Ain't It Cool News has seen the 10min 'sizzle reel'... and it isn't all good news. The big technical achievement, of running the film at 48fps, is getting some serious knock back from observers and critics, saying that the resulting image is more likened to the TruMotion rendition of modern television, making the image look more like it was shot on video than film (which, I suppose, technically is true!). Harsher opinions say that this removes the feeling of Brechtian cinema (the disappearing away from reality and into a fictional space) and more into watching a 'real' space. Proof is going to be in the pudding, of course, but from what is reported, the experience of watching The Lord Of The Rings trilogy is not going to be duplicated here...

Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: WB/Legendary Films (The Hobbit), Hall H, 2:30-5:00
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:31:01 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:37:00 AM »
very cool find!

I think the quote i like the best is
"Jackson mentioned something in his intro that I don’t think he was hedging with, about the frame rate of silent pictures being 16-18fps, and how going to 24fps was a big leap in the day. Think of the relative jump: from silent to sound, a few decades pass and they increase the number of frames by 50%…in this case, 80 years pass and they increase the frame rate to 150% more. This is a massive shift in visual clarity, composition, and perception. Like I said, if you thought 2D versus 3D has been fun, this is a quantum jump into another realm of perception, and I expect the debate to be exponentially more heated.
<snip>
For reference, here are some things I saw in the footage itself that weren’t in the existing trailer:

Dwarves crossing mountains, bobbing down a river in barrels, and fighting trolls.

Gandalf in a dungeon, searching for…something. Some other thing is in there with him.

Gandalf showing Elrond and Galadriel a sword that troubles them deeply.

Legolas drawing his bow, and threatening to use it.

Bilbo and Gollum in a cave.

If just for a moment…Saruman."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:39:08 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
Ah, it's been a while since I've seen LOTR and read the novels (whew, as a project in middle school!  ha ha), but I'm looking forward to seeing how this movie will turn out.  I think it's time to reread The Hobbit... ^_~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline cliffd64

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
Can't wait for this film to come out...  it will no doubt be great!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
Ah, it's been a while since I've seen LOTR and read the novels (whew, as a project in middle school!  ha ha), but I'm looking forward to seeing how this movie will turn out.  I think it's time to reread The Hobbit... ^_~
I use to be a, "once a year reader" but have wandered away from it- so much so i'm having a hard time remembering the real Faramir or that the battle of Helm's deep doesn't have elves..

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
I'm sure that a Hobbit panel will be a HUGE draw at the Con! Watch, they'll put it right after Twilight and before Hunger Games... ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:50:16 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline SillyLilly

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »
Hmm...I'm worried that the 48fps will end up making it look too realistic and lose that cimema feel to it but I trust Peter Jackson enough that the finish product will be brilliant. At least no one's criticising the content of the footage

I'm sure that a Hobbit panel will be a HUGE draw at the COn! Watch, they'll put it right after Twilight and before Hunger Games... ;)

Hopefully Comic Con's not that cruel, having to sit through an entire Twilight panel just to see the Hobbit will be testing the limits of my love just like how Glee tested the limits of my love for Doctor Who. XD

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
Attack of the Show is doing a story on The Feed about the Hobbit. I believe the word "underwhelmed" was used in the preview.
Ang

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 06:30:44 AM »
Because I'm a huge LOTR fangirl, I have no issue with completely ignoring the critics and the concerns about the new film speed. I'll be interested to see it in action though! I trust Peter Jackson's judgement on it. I read the books (Hobbit included) every year, watch all the film stuff regularly, even gotten through the Silmarillion once or twice. Tolkien famously said that his book could never be made into a movie, he practically gave the rights away to United Artists in 1968, and yet PJ was able to do a fabulous adaptation.

My biggest concern at this point is getting into the possible panel! It's one of the only big-time panels I know I'll want to see.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »
another review

Offline KirbySS

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
My biggest concern at this point is getting into the possible panel! It's one of the only big-time panels I know I'll want to see.

Yeah, this is going to make the Twilight line look like the line selling icecubes to Eskimos in comparison.

Offline TrustNo1

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 06:45:08 PM »
Yep the line will be MASSIVE should The Hobbit make an appearance at SDCC this year... definitely worth sleeping on the lawn for, haha, especially if cast members show! :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
preview;

THE HOBBIT Director Peter Jackson Responds To Negative Reaction Of 48 FPS Footage

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
From the article Alyssa just posted:
“A couple of the more negative commenters from CinemaCon said that in the Gollum and Bilbo scene [which took place later in the presentation] they didn’t mind it and got used to that. That was the same 48 frames the rest of the reel was. I just wonder if it they were getting into the dialogue, the characters and the story. That’s what happens in the movie. You settle into it.”

Personally, I think watching it with the 48 FPS footage could be interesting--it could be true that by the end of the movie (you know, after the epic scenes) that people won't mind it too much.  It's really too early to tell how much the filming format will affect the entire movie, but I know, for certain, that I'll be enjoying "The Hobbit" regardless. 

Come to think of it, one of my first field trips in seventh grade was going to watch the first "LOTR" movie.  (Really, it's true!  My language arts teacher loved the series, and he managed to get the school to let us see it! @_@!)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:17:43 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...