Author Topic: The Orville Season 3 (spoilers)  (Read 1336 times)

Online darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
The Orville Season 3 (spoilers)
« on: June 25, 2022, 08:44:00 PM »
I had seen mixed reviews of the season so far and I had mixed feelings as well. Overall, I was happy to watching the show again but I could see some of the problems identified with the first few epsiodes.

But I just saw episode 4 of this season (I usually don't get the chance to watch until a few days after airing) and I really enjoyed it! Best episode so far this season and big bombshells dropped there.

I am excited to see the remainder of the season and I wish my fan panel for it had been accepted at SDCC as there would be a lot to talk about so far! I think I might do a podcast episode or two for this season to get some more material/activity out there both to discuss it and perhaps increase chances of a fan panel being accepted next time.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: The Orville Season 3 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 09:01:02 PM »
I've been watching it- I'm not caught up on season 4 eta 3( I haven't even watched the last few eps of Obi-wan)

I really enjoy the show
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:48:02 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:30:00 PM »

Online darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 09:21:44 PM »
Just to clarify I meant episode 4 of this season (season 3). There is no season 4 although we can all hope  :)

Btw I saw this comment online and laughed:
please tell Seth to make his next girlfriend a decent actress. Ensign Charlie has the same expression on her face in every scene, no matter the context

I didn't find her that bad or have a problem with the character.

But seriously, I didn't think they were dating when I saw that comment but now I see online that they were/are?  Then the comment goes from funny to identifying something potentially troubling regarding Seth's pattern of behaviour. Did Seth just put his girlfriend on the show for that reason? (i.e. nepotism) Or did he just date her after she was on the show? Given his past history I think that may actually be a bad trend of lack of professionalism. That being said, I don't think it has negatively affected the show so far, but what if they break up - does that meant this character will be dropped as well for that reason?

Ultimately it is not my business, my focus is on the impact on the show itself. I'm not sure if the breakup was the reason for Halston Sage leaving the show and that actually led to one of the best episodes in my opinion ("Home")
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:24:31 PM by darqamin »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 09:49:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just to clarify I meant episode 4 of this season (season 3). There is no season 4 although we can all hope  :)

HA, I've been on my motorcycle all day & am a little tired. Yeah I'm going with that LOL
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 08:13:49 AM »
Happy to see discussion of The Orville!  It is one of my current favorite shows.  I am not particularly a fan of Seth McFarlane's tv work, but went to the Orville panel at SDCC before the show's premiere and am so glad I did.  His mixture of 'stuff' is such a breath of fresh air from the dark scifi that has been so prevelent these past few years.

I have watched each episode more than once.  My last complete rewatch was done to post a pic summary of each episode on my new FB group.  The Orville Episode Rewatch Group.  I was soooo hoping for an SDCC fan panel! 

As for this season.  I will say a couple of things that stick out for me so far:

1.  The character of Charly, I hope, has been written to be played woodenly. Otherwise, Ann Winters is a lackluster actress---surprising for someone who has a lot of experience behind her.  My jury is out on her until I see a bit more of where they are going with her.  In the episodes seen so faa, her actions should have had major repurcussions that, to me, should have sent her packing.

2.  Isaac is masterfully played by Marc Jackson.  The amount of emotion he elicits as a mechanical being is amazing and so much fun to watch.  "A Happy Refrain" is one of my favorite episodes.  I even wrote a fan filk on that episode.

3. I miss the tic-tac shuttle craft, although the new one is cool.

4. LaMarr needs to be back on the bridge with Gordon.  Their back and forth was developing so nicely. Yeah...that would push Charly out (of an airlock?)  ;D

5.  The Krill planet was ---WOWzers.

There has been a lot of talk about The Orville being more like classic Trek than current Trek.  Well, that was my first thought, too.  And I am sticking with it.  Bring it on, Seth.  I will be watching.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 08:35:36 AM »
This is the show ever TNG fan should be watching.
But yeah I've been really impressed by the social issues they have taken on this season.
I hate that this will be the end.  Ill wait years between seasons if they keep telling good stories like they are.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 09:00:14 AM »
But yeah I've been really impressed by the social issues they have taken on this season.
I hate that this will be the end.  Ill wait years between seasons if they keep telling good stories like they are.

Are we sure this will be the final season?
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 09:32:32 AM »
We caught up on Season 3 last night. I'm missing the humor this season (comparing to season 2, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of humorous B-plots) but appreciating the deeper storylines.

Charly is such a one-note character. It's like there's nothing to her except to be suspicious of Isaac. I'd like to see her do something else... anything else.

The first episode of season 3 really bothered me. Everyone was so fearful of Isaac... when really, he's the one who saved everyone. What did he do that was so terrible? He spied on them, yes, but they knew that he was gathering information, and Isaac didn't know entirely what it was for. When the Kaylon tried to do something bad, Isaac tried to talk them out of it. And when push came to shove, Isaac killed them all. The people who knew Isaac should not have been angry or upset with him... not to the extent shown in that episode. It felt very forced, to try and push a social message. Fortunately, most of that seems to be gone now, except for Charly (and to be fair, she didn't know Isaac beforehand and lost a friend, so it makes sense that she would feel hatred for him).

I do like the new plotlines opened up in episode 4. I had been hoping that Telaya would come back. But I missed the Avis jokes. ;)

And having recently re-watched the entire series, I have a question. Why does everyone stand up in the shuttle? it has seats! Those seats have seatbelts. Why are they all standing up? The president of the Union is on the shuttle and they're going into turbulence and he isn't seated and strapped in? They are always standing on the shuttle (if they're not in one of the 2 front seats). I'm guessing that this is a cinematographic decision, but it looks really stupid.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 11:18:06 AM »

It's a TNG tribute show.  They even go so far as to make the special effects vintage to make it look like special effects from the '90s.

Orville and Strange New Worlds are the two real Star Trek shows in my opinion.  They both tap into the feel of Star Trek in a way that the other shows don't.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 01:23:12 PM »
Are we sure this will be the final season?
If tldr; probably the last season, but they could come back to it in the future if there is demand and timing works.

Offline CarrieD

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 07:20:02 PM »

And having recently re-watched the entire series, I have a question. Why does everyone stand up in the shuttle? it has seats! Those seats have seatbelts. Why are they all standing up? The president of the Union is on the shuttle and they're going into turbulence and he isn't seated and strapped in? They are always standing on the shuttle (if they're not in one of the 2 front seats). I'm guessing that this is a cinematographic decision, but it looks really stupid.

So this, why are they standing it was just so weird.
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
SWCO 2017
FanExpo Canada 2018
Montreal CC  2016, 2019, 2022
Ottawa CC 2016, 2017

Online darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 01:22:30 PM »
I finally got through the last episode of the season. I enjoyed it overall, had some problems but I certainly want to see more and I hope that it gets a season 4!