Author Topic: [CLOSED] No longer seeking roommate before sale.  (Read 3370 times)

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 115
[CLOSED] No longer seeking roommate before sale.
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:47:18 PM »
I set up this thread to see if there was anyone who wanted to team up and get a hotel through the upcoming sale, but I've had a change in plans.
For the record though, I completely stand by my original reasoning and purpose here. It's just not necessary anymore because I have figured out some more details about my move and my options with that, which will affect my SDCC trip.

So I am not searching for a roommate at this time. I may try (through the main roommate thread) later on, depending on how things work out.
I think I will also refrain from participating in the hotel sale as well, since I can't reserve a room anyway.
Good luck to all those who are hoping to get a room!

(Mods: feel free to delete this thread~)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:16:49 AM by dancetomusic »

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
Good luck DTM. :D I hear you on having your own room to decompress after a long day.
Twitter feed: @mel641

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: [CLOSED] No longer seeking roommate before sale.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:39:17 PM »

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Good luck DTM. :D I hear you on having your own room to decompress after a long day.
Thank you!
Yeah, being there for 6 nights is going to be fun, but it's also going to be a lot to take in. A little decompression is definitely necessary!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
DTM, if you get a hotel you want in the lottery, PM me.

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
I remember you, your the 17 year old who was so clear and precise in saying that they could easily afford to stay in a SDCC hotel by themselves. I am confused that you are now asking some member on here to put in a deposit for you ahead of time and be flexible enough to either give it to you straight out, share partially or plan to share and move where ever you end up? I would assume that you do not have anyone else to help you (parent, sibling, friend)??? Have you thought about offering this (forum member) person a money order ahead of time or something equivelent? I would assume based on your first posts that you currently have the money, maybe just not a way to provided it to someone? As a 17 year old, you can not yet have a paypal account legally. Paypal age limit for an account is 18. So you plan to open one next month and then pay? You mention pay when you are able, when would that be?

Remember that you are asking someone (who does not know you) to pay the deposit on a room they may not want? Where is the security? What guarantees them you will take it or pay them?

I hope you get the hotel that you try for in the sale. Submitting in under a minute could be diffcult. Have you seen the hotel page yet? Be flexible yourself, you are 17. Be sure to go a safe route, find a reliable roomate or friend. I am sure if you had the money that a friend or family member would let you give them the money and they could pay with their credit card. Asking a complete stranger to pay ahead of time and be a roomate may be a reach. I am afriad to even suggest the roomate thread just becasue you are female and so young being only 17. At least you'll be 18 soon.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
Hey DTM,
Sorry I can't help you at Hotel Lottery (already booked a hotel) But just wanted to send you Best Wishes that someone can help you out. Sorry that you and your family are going through a rough time but I hope that you will make it to Comic Con and have an awesome time.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey DTM,
Sorry I can't help you at Hotel Lottery (already booked a hotel) But just wanted to send you Best Wishes that someone can help you out. Sorry that you and your family are going through a rough time but I hope that you will make it to Comic Con and have an awesome time.

Thank you, that means a lot.
I hope so too!

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
Relax, I am not in high school and I am not creating drama. I am simply pointing out that there are risks on both sides and it may be asking alot. Not to mention making sure you do not connect with the wrong person. Just because this is a great forum and the people here are so helpful, it doesn't mean that there's not somebody out there that might be looking to take advantage of you. If anything, I am looking out for you. If someone wants to do this for you, then thats great, just be careful.

angel_k

I hate to butt in here, but let's both try to take a step back here for a moment.  This is a great community here and I haven't really seen much tension at all so this whole thing is kind of...  uncharacteristic of this board.  I think you guys are misunderstanding each other. 

dancetomusic, I'm sorry you're going through a lot of crap in real life.  That sucks, man.  I hope you can get the money together and get a Comic Con experience that you want.  I think people are just worried that if you can't afford the ~$300 for the deposit now you might not be able to afford the $1500+ in four months time.  That's a lot of money to raise in a short amount of time.  Affording your own hotel room is challenging even for adults.  I'm rooming with a computer programmer and he makes a pretty nice payday, but still wants to split a room to cut costs.  You seem confident and I hope that everything falls in place for you.  I don't even have a job where I can afford to raise $1500 extra in 4 months so if you've got one, more power to you!

On the flip side, blaming it on your age does come off as ageist.  I was young once, too, and I hated things being blamed on my age.  Nobody really knows how well you've got your finances in order except for you (and maybe your parents?) so any speculation on an outsiders perspective is going to be just that; speculation.  I tend to avoid trying to speculate on other people's situations because it's really hard to do with the little information we have on forum boards.

That said... do be cautious about having a roommate.  This has NOTHING to do with your age.  This is just a smart thing for anyone at any age.  Even I'm iffy rooming with strangers, though I've done it before.  I hope if anyone takes you up on this that they're a good person.

Good luck to you!

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
I'm sorry, I don't mean to stir the pot here. But you basically hit it on the head - I cannot stand ageism.
And I am also very stressed about all of this, since I'm reluctant to let go of my high standards for my con experience even though I'm facing a lot of road blocks now.

That aside, I understand that it could seem difficult for others to believe I could make thousands of dollars in a few months if I can't afford the hotel cost now..

But part of the reason I can't put money down for a hotel now is that I actually don't know how soon I'm moving, or where I'm moving to, or where I'll be working/what I'll be earning, or what my exact costs are going to be. So that means I can't put any money into SDCC until I've got all those things figured out - which will hopefully be soon! Just not soon enough for the hotel sale.

And I don't know what it's like in other places, but I live in Oregon, which has one of the highest minimum wages in the country. If you work a full time minimum wage job, you make about $1300 a month after income taxes. (And we have no sales tax!)
I'll be aiming for a jobs that are at least a little higher than minimum wage, and will hopefully work full time(or more) as well. If I do that for like 2 months, then I have enough to make my trip to SDCC the indulgent one that I was planning. And I plan to have worked more than just 2 months come con time, so all my personal costs should be covered just fine and still leave the amount I want for my trip.
I mean, I'll be fairly broke after the con, but I already anticipated that lol.
(Or, if it happens that I'm not able to scrape up that much for SDCC, there are a few things in my budget that I could easily reduce/take out, and the hotel cost is not the first on that list. My hotel is a main priority.)

I know hotel rooms cost a lot, but it is very worth it to me to be able to have a room to myself during the chaos. I came into this expecting everything to be expensive, and just kinda accepting it as it is and planning accordingly.
I also am very aware that rooming with a stranger can potentially be a bad idea. The point here is that I'm trying to room by myself! I just know that since I ended up in this situation I might not get to do that, but I'm still going to try. And obviously I wouldn't just accept an offer from any sketchy stranger who wants to room with me, I'm not an idiot.

And I appreciate your positivity, thanks for trying to be understanding.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:07:17 AM by dancetomusic »

angel_k

Nobody is saying you're an idiot, honey.  And I try not to judge on age, but my distrust for strangers grew as I grew older.  It was an experience thing, not an age thing.  You could very well be ahead of where I was at your age on that front.

I lived in Oregon for two years and yeah, the pay is pretty decent there, but wow the job market really sucked.  Took me two months to get a job and then it was only part time (like 10 hours a week).  Took me another 6 to get full time work.  Even then I struggled to afford Comic Con last year, but I had to pay rent and bills, too, so yeah.  Different situation.  And I don't know what skill set you have or what type of jobs you are aiming for, so my experience might not mean much.  Again, good luck to you.  I wish you the best.

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
Oh no, I didn't think anyone was actually calling me an idiot!
I just mean that the whole "stranger danger" thing really obvious, especially in a situation like this, so it'd be very dumb not to take it into consideration.

Yeah finding jobs here is pretty hard, especially for anything above like 15-20 hours. But my problem is pretty much everywhere only hires above 18. Otherwise, everywhere I have lived/will live is within a short walking distance to tons of retail shops, restaurants, hotels, etc, so I'm confident I can find a job that will get me what I need. I'm not above working like 2 or 3 jobs at once either - I've done it before, actually - so if I have to make that work then I will.
I'm also planning to acquire a few certifications that don't take very much time or money but will help me get a job I actually want, so hopefully that works out!  :D

And yeah, while I will have a lot more things I'll have to pay for now, I still don't have to pay for rent/school/car/etc or have to live off my income alone. That helps with the whole having "extra money" thing.

Thanks!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
DTM, I think it's clear that you know what you're getting into, both personally and financially. Life threw you a curveball (and a rather awful one at that) but you're doing your best to deal with it. I admire your spirit and your unwillingness to give up.

FWIW, I know Conventiongeek had your best interests at heart. Remember that online it's easy to misinterpret word online, and attach emotions/attitudes that were never intended. Please don't let this ruin your SDCC experience.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:05:12 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
Thank you, I honestly really appreciate you saying that.

And I have no hard feelings against anyone, just wanted to make sure my position (and the fact that I am a meticulous planner and know full well what I am doing/trying to do) was clear.
I'm definitely not letting this ruin my experience! Just a few obstacles, is all. Going to SDCC is something worth trying for, and I'm doing my best not to let anything bring me down! ;D

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
DTM: My sympathies for your situation and I admire that you're taking charge and trying to earn that amount of money in a short period of time.

I would like to just say if you end up not having enough funds, don't be afraid to get a cheaper hotel that's a bit farther away. I'm personally aiming for the Bristol hotel which is one of the cheaper downtown options. I stayed there last year and I thought it was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at (either that or majority of the hotels I stay at are crap  ;D). The only big difference is that the Bristol is a bit less than a mile away and you generally take the shuttle for it and yeah it takes awhile but all you have to do is wake up a bit earlier to take the shuttle and it takes like 10-20 min longer to get back to the hotel at the end of the day. My point is is, even if it doesn't work out and you have to get a Mission Valley or Hotel Circle hotel, it's not a big deal.  You're pretty much just gonna sleep in the hotel (or maybe not even sleep in the hotel if you're camping in line) and that's it. And you still get your own room. (I prefer solo too so I understand). So I'd recommend re-considering if you really need the most awesome & closest hotel if it's gonna cost a lot more and it might force you to need a roommate.