Author Topic: Where to park if I get to stay at a downtown hotel  (Read 1788 times)

Offline illumina0

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Where to park if I get to stay at a downtown hotel
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:35:36 AM »
I usually fly in to the city every year to attend the con but this year a few of my friends and I might take a road trip up. Since the previous years I've never had to deal with having a car, I was wondering what the situation is if we're lucky enough to get a downtown hotel in the sale? For example, if we were to stay at the Hilton Bayfront, do they usually have parking spots reserved for guests there or will we also have to try to earn a spot during the official parking sale as well?

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Where to park if I get to stay at a downtown hotel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »
You should be able to get hotel parking. You don't want the SDCC parking, it is not overnight.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:21:52 AM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »
Your hotel should have parking. Just be sure to take notice of the pricing.

Offline frostywontons

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:53 AM »
Any decently sized hotel will have parking, at a fee of course :/

Parking rates for hotels typically average $30/day.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:32:02 AM »
You are guaranteed parking through the hotel, but it will be pricey. Typically parking is between $25 and $40 per night.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
If you don't want/need daily access to your car, last year someone said they did long-term airport parking for $15/day and just took a shuttle to their hotel. Depending on how much the hotel charges (like if it's a $40/day one) that could be a significant savings to buy exclusives with instead!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »
Last year we parked one car for each of our hotel rooms at the Bayfront for three full nights. They told us they would allow one car per room (as in it should be guaranteed but you'd have to be on the reservation list and provide ID or you'd have to show your room key at parking.) It was $30/night. So they charged per night as opposed to per day as they made it sound when we initially called to inquire about the fees. We were thinking we may need the car for something and we wanted to just be able to leave immediately when we wanted.

Also you may want to consider using a secured, covered, long-term airport parking structure as well. Especially if you have an extra car or if you know you won't use your car. We had a third car and they couldn't guarantee us a spot for us with just two rooms, so the third person parked their car in secured long-term structure by the airport a few miles away. They then either took a taxi or the trolley over to the hotel with their stuff then. I believe it was $15/night at the parking structure. Apparently they also had someone there waiting for them at their arrival time with refreshments and whatnot too.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:37 PM »
Ace parking handles the sale of the spots for parking during Comic Con. The sale was a mess last year and a lot did not get spots. Yes hotels will allow you to park in their garage if you are staying there (usually your best bet). Some opt for the underground parking at the Convention Center. This opens up at 5 am I believe but it will sell out during the Ace sale (you won't be able to just pull up and get a spot unless you have a parking permit). I have stayed at the Hilton Bayfront and at Indigo. The Indigo parking was $40 a night but allowed in and out privileges (which I never used). If you can avoid driving during the con I'd advise that option. The foot traffic is insane around the center and gas lamp.

Offline dianosaurus

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »
While hotels will have spots available for guests, I HIGHLY recommend not going that route if you're not going to use your car at all. Parking is expensive ($32/night at the Hilton Bayfront) and trying to navigate around downtown with all the cars/pedestrians/blockages is a nightmare.

Someone else mentioned parking your car at long-term airport parking, and I've done that the last 6 years, and it's been fantastic. $10-15 dollars/day + a cab ride (every driver has been so nice and with some excellent food recommendations to boot), and you don't have to deal with the traffic headache. If you have a bunch of people in the car maybe splitting the parking is cost negligible, but I like to save those dollars for all the coffee I can get.