Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211059 times)

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2019, 10:13:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wasn't Hotelpocalypse in February once? I miss that, I loved getting it over with.

But if Mardi Gras is a bad day for you I hope it isn't then either.

Yes, It was like 2 weeks after Gen Reg which was a bank account's nightmare.

Mardi Gras is late this year (March 5th) so that's why I'm worried about it.

I also need a job.  ;D
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:06 AM »
Yeah, I feel for everyone who needs it to be a specific time of year for $$$ reasons. I usually just put it on a low interest credit card if I haven't scraped together enough cash yet but I know not everyone can do that. I just hate the waiting and worrying.

Good luck on the job hunt, [member=1303]IfIWereMagneto[/member] !

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 07:38:42 AM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »
Yes, It was like 2 weeks after Gen Reg which was a bank account's nightmare.

Mardi Gras is late this year (March 5th) so that's why I'm worried about it.

I also need a job.  ;D

Uh oh.  I get my bonus March 7th.  Seems one of us is gonna be unhappy no matter what lmao.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2019, 10:43:56 AM »
It was very odd last year to have Early Bird so early. Yet now we've come to expect that, and it feels late. Sigh... I begin to see CCI's side in this. But I agree with the desire to have things come out on a consistent timeline.

It's not that difficult to open up Early Bird, presuming that the hotel contracts have been negotiated. It's just a booking system. This leads me to hope *crosses fingers* that the issue is that they're changing the provider/booking system? Maybe?

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2019, 11:21:43 AM »
It was very odd last year to have Early Bird so early. Yet now we've come to expect that, and it feels late. Sigh... I begin to see CCI's side in this. But I agree with the desire to have things come out on a consistent timeline.

It's not that difficult to open up Early Bird, presuming that the hotel contracts have been negotiated. It's just a booking system. This leads me to hope *crosses fingers* that the issue is that they're changing the provider/booking system? Maybe?

I *could* see CCI's side in this and most other things, *if* they would just communicate. Like regularly posting updates on the Toucan blog with some indication of what they're thinking. Something like "hey guys, we were hoping to do early bird as early as last year but some internal-office challenges have delayed it. We'll get it up as soon as we've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Thanks for your patience!"

Notice that the ^^^ contains no actual information, just some reassurance and a vague apology. But they refuse to even do that, instead preferring to operate in a perpetual cloud of mystery. I lose patience with them pretty quickly because of that.

Personally I would like them to either 1) do it RIGHT, 2) do it CONSISTENTLY, or 3) tell us what's going on. They've pretty much managed option 1 on badge sales now, which I appreciate, but hotels are still none of the above. :(

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
I *could* see CCI's side in this and most other things, *if* they would just communicate. Like regularly posting updates on the Toucan blog with some indication of what they're thinking. Something like "hey guys, we were hoping to do early bird as early as last year but some internal-office challenges have delayed it. We'll get it up as soon as we've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Thanks for your patience!"

Notice that the ^^^ contains no actual information, just some reassurance and a vague apology. But they refuse to even do that, instead preferring to operate in a perpetual cloud of mystery. I lose patience with them pretty quickly because of that.

Personally I would like them to either 1) do it RIGHT, 2) do it CONSISTENTLY, or 3) tell us what's going on. They've pretty much managed option 1 on badge sales now, which I appreciate, but hotels are still none of the above. :(

I love vague corporate non-information style announcements haha.  And that sounds sarcastic but it's true.  Because at least I know they are THINKING about it instead of just... nothing.  I used to be the primary email contact for my company (they took it away recent grumble grumble find me on Twitter for my personal grumblings on this) and got super good at phrasing things vaguely but hopefully lmao,

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2019, 02:26:46 PM »
Has HBF got hip to lower rate bookend dates? Realized I hadn't booked yet (which I thought I did) and went to book at prices are over $300 a night from days before and after the convention. Wondering now if the reason I haven't booked yet is because prices were just as a high a few months ago.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
Early Bird Sale Announced!!!

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »
Early Bird Sale Announced!!!

Ya beat me! lol was just coming here to share that.

I'm scanning the info available and I don't see an end date for the early bird sale.  Usually the early bird sale ends around when Hotelpocalypse happens, yeah?  Things change of course and nothing is consistent but I was hoping for a date so we can wildly speculate lol

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
Ya beat me! lol was just coming here to share that.

I'm scanning the info available and I don't see an end date for the early bird sale.  Usually the early bird sale ends around when Hotelpocalypse happens, yeah?  Things change of course and nothing is consistent but I was hoping for a date so we can wildly speculate lol

This looks like the end date...

Name changes and adding nights to your stay will be accepted through onPeak up to April 25, 2019.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »
Last year the "changes" date was 4/25/18 for early bird... but Hotelpocalypse was 4/4/18. Are we thinking 4/3/19?

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
I just booked mine at Town and Country as I usually do.  Something I found odd, and it's probably just an onpeak problem since comic-con talks about the shuttle-when you sort by shuttle service only the Sheraton comes up as available, and on my confirmation email for Town and Country it actually says "Shuttle Service:  Shuttle service between the hotel and the event is NOT provided."  Weird.  I didn't take that into too much consideration because I usually use the trolley at least half the time, but it still makes me worry a bit.  But on the other hand, it's probably an onpeak problem....maybe.

Edit: I just checked my confirmation for last year, in the same field it said "Shuttle service between the hotel and the event is provided" so I'm assuming that field does refer to comic con shuttles and not a hotel specific shuttle.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:44:11 AM by rushfanyyz »

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »
I just looked at the hotels that are available for Early Bird. I'm only seeing 9 hotels. Is this the normal amount or were there more and they sold out that fast?

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »
There are usually more hotels available in MV.  Hope this is just a start.  Keep checking!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »
[member=2735]Blubutterfly505[/member] Hmm. I checked last year's list and there were 11. Looks like the missing two are Doubletree by Hilton Mission Valley and San Diego Marriott Mission Valley. Maybe they'll pop up later? (I have no idea, I've never done early bird.)