Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211022 times)

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #555 on: April 05, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love how Little Italy has gone through renovations and upgrades the past few years.  My wife and I prefer to go Little Italy for dinner instead of the Gaslamp now.   There a couple of new hotels in that area, one of which I stayed at a couple of year ago, the SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront.   It's a nice new hotel and IIRC breakfast is included.  I think some of the suites have fully usable kitchens, a big plus and shuttle is not too bad and there's the train station nearby as an alternative.
The suites with the kitchens are actually the Residence Inn portion of the hotel.. its weird, its like two different names in the same building but the same amenities (pool, breakfast... parking).  Just differences in what you get in the room; the RI side also has like a door to the bedroom too, so if someone wants to have some privacy then there you go!  I've stayed in both sides and they're both super nice... the Springhill side fit 6 really well too.

We tend to have Omni on our list, my sister likes the hotel brand and they seem to have a really cool pool (to appease the small child in our group).  HardRock would be awesome to try for with the suites but they close to pool... that would not appease the small child in our group.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #556 on: April 05, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
Haha, first thing I did when I got home was look those up! But my budget was not ready for the extra expense lol. It was either SDCC ‘19 or a new mattress. May later this year...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #557 on: Today at 06:23:18 AM »

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #557 on: April 05, 2019, 01:09:54 PM »
I was planning on getting a suite at the Hard Rock this year. Can you tell me whats weird about it and why you wouldn't recommend it?

It's basically one large room with beds on one side, couches on the other. In the center, on either side, is a small room with glass doors and toilet. Directly across the open floor is a shower with glass doors and glass walls. The sink is in the open area between the "living room" and "bedroom". Not much privacy.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #558 on: April 05, 2019, 01:14:50 PM »
It's basically one large room with beds on one side, couches on the other. In the center, on either side, is a small room with glass doors and toilet. Directly across the open floor is a shower with glass doors and glass walls. The sink is in the open area between the "living room" and "bedroom". Not much privacy.

Oops I missed being asked this question but yes Dubb pretty much nailed it.  The bathrooms are out in the open and it's bizarre.  Like you can hear everyone's business.  The toilet is separated from the living room by a thing frosted glass door that doesn't even go from floor to ceiling.  You can hear EVERYTHING.  My friends developed a "turn the sink on" system when someone needed to use the bathroom just to, like, create an illusion of privacy lol.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #559 on: April 05, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
It's definitely my #1, for one very specific reason: they have the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on, no lie. I've stayed at other downtown hotels, MMM and Marriott Gaslamp come to mind, but never have I gotten such a comfortable, GOOD night's sleep at SDCC. One of my group members had a step counter app on her phone, she tracked our miles, and we walked 27 miles in four and a half days that year, but I would wake up feeling brand new every day, and I swear it had to be the mattress.

Seconding what was said about the weird sliding bathroom doors: if you get an Omni room, better hope you're comfortable with the rest of your group, because those doors don't offer much in the way of privacy.

I'm in the minority I guess cause the Omni wasn't my favorite. It was fine. Loved the location - but we missed the smaller hotel solamar we have stayed at for several years. Maybe because it was so close it was a lot more chaotic - I won't put it on my list again but it was cool to stay so close.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #560 on: April 05, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »
Well, no hotel sale next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #561 on: April 05, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »
I do hate the bathroom doors of the Omni because how can you be off by over an inch with like 1000 pocket doors?

It is annoying to deal with but my group just knows not to walk past it if someone's in there.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #562 on: April 05, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
I'm in the minority I guess cause the Omni wasn't my favorite. It was fine. Loved the location - but we missed the smaller hotel solamar we have stayed at for several years. Maybe because it was so close it was a lot more chaotic - I won't put it on my list again but it was cool to stay so close.

No, I think that's a great thing actually! It means we're not all jockeying for the exact same hotels. I have very little interest in say, the Hard Rock, but I know other people who LOVE the Hard Rock--I have one friend who finally got a room there last year, and from her descriptions, it...did not sound awesome. But she's dying to stay there again. Go figure. Different strokes and all that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:15:58 PM by JKingoftheNerds »

Offline epicskyline

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #563 on: April 05, 2019, 08:01:32 PM »
It's either the Omni or the Hilton Gaslamp for my friend and I. That location is perfect to get pretty much anywhere in the convention center or Petco Park. We saw so many celebrities while standing outside of the Omni, but without the frenzied feeling of being at the Hard Rock. We haven't ever gotten the Hilton Bayfront though, so I can't say that the Omni is definitely my favorite of all the BIG downtown hotels, but it's my favorite of the ones I've stayed at.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #564 on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:30 PM »
I do hate the bathroom doors of the Omni because how can you be off by over an inch with like 1000 pocket doors?

It is annoying to deal with but my group just knows not to walk past it if someone's in there.

What I ended up doing is taping some toilet paper down the gap. Of course, house cleaning would remove it, so I’d have to redo it every day.

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #565 on: April 05, 2019, 11:35:12 PM »
I loved the MGH last year! I arrived at 6am and they gave me my room by 9am instead of waiting for the actual check in time :D

I loved staying at the MGH as well. You can add club level at a later time if you didn't get in via the hotel lottery. That was a nice way of saving in regards to not going to restaurants. They provide breakfast, snacks for lunch, and entree's for dinner when you go back and forth via hotel. Later at night they also do desserts and wines.

TravT77

« Reply #566 on: April 06, 2019, 03:00:38 AM »
To all those CCI employees who lurk about the FoCC forums snickering to themselves every time someone asks “when the hotel sale is happening?”, because they already know (YOU KNOW THEY KNOW!!)........

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #567 on: April 06, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »
I loved staying at the MGH as well. You can add club level at a later time if you didn't get in via the hotel lottery. That was a nice way of saving in regards to not going to restaurants. They provide breakfast, snacks for lunch, and entree's for dinner when you go back and forth via hotel. Later at night they also do desserts and wines.

I love the MGH!  Plus it helps me get in enough steps to offset my extra eating during the con  ;).  And agreed, Club Level rocks!

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #568 on: April 06, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »
What are the chances that on peak will send out emails on Monday still saying the sale is going to be on Wednesday, April 10 just to mess with us?

Any other hotels do club level services?

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #569 on: April 06, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
To all those CCI employees who lurk about the FoCC forums snickering to themselves every time someone asks “when the hotel sale is happening?”, because they already know (YOU KNOW THEY KNOW!!)........

The answer is no, most if not almost all do not know. I can't answer why I know that, but I assure you, most do not know. I'm guessing the members of the CCI Committee know or have an idea. But that is about it. The rest are in the dark.