Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211385 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1260 on: April 12, 2019, 07:19:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twenty looooooooong seconds here, too. :-X
I don't think that matters as the information provided on the hotel area states that it's the time you *entered* the form, not the time it takes to get to the form once it says "your turn".

That being the case, the above is a logical statement, and not necessarily how onPeak will work, as we all have seen/experienced...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #1261 on: April 12, 2019, 07:24:44 AM »
(Hi, Debster! We never met up for that drink last year--let's try again this year!)

Deal!

I always think I will do well in the sale, but ever since we left the type as quickly as possible and submit method, I have never gotten any of my 6 picks no matter what time I get into the system. Maybe this will be the year! :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1262 on: Today at 07:21:50 PM »

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #1262 on: April 12, 2019, 07:54:37 AM »
I always think I will do well in the sale, but ever since we left the type as quickly as possible and submit method, I have never gotten any of my 6 picks no matter what time I get into the system.

Same! FCFS was my jam. My auto-fill was on point and I was getting Hard Rock consistently. Sigh...

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #1263 on: April 12, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »
In our haste yesterday, during one of our three hotel sessions we omitted to fill in the 'Member ID' field because it was not a required field.

Would leaving that field blank preclude that session from potentially qualifying for a room?
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1264 on: April 12, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
In our haste yesterday, during one of our three hotel sessions we omitted to fill in the 'Member ID' field because it was not a required field.

Would leaving that field blank preclude that session from potentially qualifying for a room?

It shouldn't make any difference. It is not required information.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #1265 on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:50 AM »
Why did they stop the fastest fingers process? Was it crashing the system?

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #1266 on: April 12, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »
Not sure, but I would speculate that there were errors made as a result of trying to complete the form fastest, and their customer service team was probably having to take a lot more calls to fix things. 

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1267 on: April 12, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »

Pretty much. Remember the year of the "bad form"? They were getting so many requests at once that the page wouldn't even load properly.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #1268 on: April 12, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »
Pretty much. Remember the year of the "bad form"? They were getting so many requests at once that the page wouldn't even load properly.

I don't know if this was a factor, but I also found the process to be discriminatory.  If you had a physical limitation that prevented you from being the fastest typist, you were discriminated against.  If you didn't happen to have the best internet connection, you were discriminated against.  The current system is fairer.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1269 on: April 12, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »

That sounds about right. When you have over $100,000 people doing the same thing at the same time on a website it creates a bottleneck. I don't know much about IT, but I would imagine that level of traffic is tough to accommodate.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1270 on: April 12, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
I don't know if this was a factor, but I also found the process to be discriminatory.  If you had a physical limitation that prevented you from being the fastest typist, you were discriminated against.  If you didn't happen to have the best internet connection, you were discriminated against.  The current system is fairer.

The current system is definitely fairer, but also still ripe for abuse. How many of us had 4-7 browsers open yesterday? (I'm not judging, I did too.) If they would move to LIVE BOOKING, they could make it almost completely fair (I know nothing is ever perfect). They could also do it over a period of days to reduce the load on their system, and it would drastically reduce reservation hoarding.

But no, they seem committed to the current process that takes forever, is steeped in unnecesary mystery, and causes so much uncertainty and panic that people feel they have to take every possible advantage of the system just to have a fair chance.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate OnPeak?

Offline teriqueen

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #1271 on: April 12, 2019, 09:45:25 AM »

My best hotel luck ever was bad-form year. I got the bad form, which submitted itself after I entered my info but before I could select a single hotel. They honored the time stamp and later asked me to submit my choices, and that turned out to be my only year at the Hard Rock. It was in the center of everything, but between the extra security and the late night celeb party noise, staying there once was enough for me.

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #1272 on: April 12, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »
The current system is definitely fairer, but also still ripe for abuse. How many of us had 4-7 browsers open yesterday? (I'm not judging, I did too.) If they would move to LIVE BOOKING, they could make it almost completely fair (I know nothing is ever perfect). They could also do it over a period of days to reduce the load on their system, and it would drastically reduce reservation hoarding.

But no, they seem committed to the current process that takes forever, is steeped in unnecesary mystery, and causes so much uncertainty and panic that people feel they have to take every possible advantage of the system just to have a fair chance.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate OnPeak?
I explained the hotel lotto process to my coworkers, and they were all so confused why they do it that way.  "Why don't they just treat it like the badge lotto you explained, where you get in and can just select your rooms yourself?"  That is a great question, coworkers.  Not quite sure why it can't work where you get a time to book (randomized), you put in your criteria of dates and people, and then you can select what is available.  I understand that there are SO MANY hotel options here, but at least then people would have a clear understanding of the process and what is available.  Maybe OnPeak is getting a subsidy of some sort for creating jobs for people to manually go through these forms and find rooms for everyone.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1273 on: April 12, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
I definitely remember reading a post on here yesterday where someone mentioned that they had a total of 10 devices going. I can't imagine he/she was the only one either. I try to just mind my business most times, but I think many people will just not accept the fact that they can't always have their way. Especially with the amount of people also vying for the same spots. I'd like a downtown hotel too, but I'm not going to start abusing the system in order to get it. That leads to no one winning in the end.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1274 on: April 12, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
I wish OnPeak would make the links individually exclusive to badge holders. Yes I know there are program participants etc. who do not yet have hotels, but it is a way to make it a bit more fair. Plus I realize it is nice to be able to try for a hotel just to come downtown and visit the offsites, but...badge holders first. IMHO.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia