Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210985 times)

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1275 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wish OnPeak would make the links individually exclusive to badge holders. Yes I know there are program participants etc. who do not yet have hotels, but it is a way to make it a bit more fair. Plus I realize it is nice to be able to try for a hotel just to come downtown and visit the offsites, but...badge holders first. IMHO.

That sounds fair. This was my first time participating, and I was kind of surprised when I found out that it wasn't exclusive to badge holders.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1276 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:51 AM »
I definitely remember reading a post on here yesterday where someone mentioned that they had a total of 10 devices going. I can't imagine he/she was the only one either. I try to just mind my business most times, but I think many people will just not accept the fact that they can't always have their way. Especially with the amount of people also vying for the same spots. I'd like a downtown hotel too, but I'm not going to start abusing the system in order to get it. That leads to no one winning in the end.

I agree with this 100%, but it's SO SO HARD not to cheat when you KNOW at least half the people out there are cheating or trying to. I wish I were a better person, but when you start to feel "cheated" just because you're playing by the rules... it's very hard to resist temptation. I'll own that I am part of the problem by using the multiple browsers, but when the solutions are so obvious, I can't help but blame CCI and OnPeak as well.

I feel the same way about Hall H lines, but at least in that case the "fix" is not obvious, probably expensive, and maybe impossible. In terms of hotels, OnPeak seems to take every opportunity to make the process less simple, less fair, and less certain. And that pushes people to panic and desperation.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1277 on: Today at 04:53:05 AM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #1277 on: April 12, 2019, 10:41:29 AM »
I definitely remember reading a post on here yesterday where someone mentioned that they had a total of 10 devices going.

Setting aside the morality of it, one person with TEN DEVICES.  If you can afford like 10 laptops/phones/iPads you might be able to pay the extreme non-OnPeak prices lol.  Unless you mean 10 sessions, so like multiple sessions per device.

On the morality side, it's a weird gray area to run multiple sessions.  Not encouraged, not explicitly discouraged, but they've taken steps to curb multiple sessions on one device with a Captcha apparently.  I can't recall where I read that. Might have been on Twitter or in this thread.  I've been following info in too many places to keep it straight.

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #1278 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:52 AM »
Aghhh!!! I just now realized that I used auto fill for my two entrees. I used different names and different emails but I left the damn mailing address the same. Do you think I will be kicked out for having duplicate responses?

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1279 on: April 12, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
Setting aside the morality of it, one person with TEN DEVICES.  If you can afford like 10 laptops/phones/iPads you might be able to pay the extreme non-OnPeak prices lol.  Unless you mean 10 sessions, so like multiple sessions per device.

On the morality side, it's a weird gray area to run multiple sessions.  Not encouraged, not explicitly discouraged, but they've taken steps to curb multiple sessions on one device with a Captcha apparently.  I can't recall where I read that. Might have been on Twitter or in this thread.  I've been following info in too many places to keep it straight.

Owning TEN DEVICES doesn't necessarily mean you have a lot of money.  It may just mean you're versed in IT.  I had 4 going.  One new lap top (mine).  One very old work lap top I converted to a Chrome book (I mean really old.  At least 10 years old).  My current work lap top.   An old IPAD (mine).  If I had thought about it, I would have used my phone as well.  That would have been 5 devices.  If my employer had provided me with a work cell phone, that would have made 6.  Technology today is not nearly as expensive as it used to be.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #1280 on: April 12, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
Think you might be fine.  Diff names and emails is 2 of 3...did you switch up the phone number as well?
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #1281 on: April 12, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
Owning TEN DEVICES doesn't necessarily mean you have a lot of money.  It may just mean you're versed in IT.  I had 4 going.  One new lap top (mine).  One very old work lap top I converted to a Chrome book (I mean really old.  At least 10 years old).  My current work lap top.   An old IPAD (mine).  If I had thought about it, I would have used my phone as well.  That would have been 5 devices.  If my employer had provided me with a work cell phone, that would have made 6.  Technology today is not nearly as expensive as it used to be.
Add to the fact that, while I personally am close to always getting on the leading/bleeding edge, the older machines I have can still function as simplistic browsing device.  So, agreed on the above.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1282 on: April 12, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »

LOL...yeah I actually went looking for that post because I wanted to make sure I remembered right. It may have been browsers. I'm not sure of the logistics, but it was definitely 10 submissions. Who knows, maybe that poster had at least 5 people going...

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1283 on: April 12, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »
Aghhh!!! I just now realized that I used auto fill for my two entrees. I used different names and different emails but I left the damn mailing address the same. Do you think I will be kicked out for having duplicate responses?

No one knows for sure, but it's definitely a possibility. If OnPeak marks you as a duplicate (and we've never know their *exact* criteria), they might 1) notify you and let you change/cancel one; 2) simply use your later entry as the "official" entry; or 3) just throw both requests out without telling you.

They've done all three in the past, with no discernible rhyme or reason as to which one applied to which duplicates. I'll cross my fingers that they just don't flag you at all!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #1284 on: April 12, 2019, 10:57:08 AM »

I definitely don't want to get into a debate about economics with someone whom I know feels quite differently than I do on the economy/current state of things.  My comment was largely humorous, hence the "lol" at the end.  But even with the "lol" and the intent at humor, most people I know that have more than 3 or 4 devices have a significant amount of money and that's my experience.  If ten devices feels normal to you, we are clearly in vastly different income brackets.

LOL...yeah I actually went looking for that post because I wanted to make sure I remembered right. It may have been browsers. I'm not sure of the logistics, but it was definitely 10 submissions. Who knows, maybe that poster had at least 5 people going...

Ten submissions makes a lot more sense yeah.  You can run multiple browsers.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1285 on: April 12, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
I definitely don't want to get into a debate about economics with someone whom I know feels quite differently than I do on the economy/current state of things.  My comment was largely humorous, hence the "lol" at the end.  But even with the "lol" and the intent at humor, most people I know that have more than 3 or 4 devices have a significant amount of money and that's my experience.  If ten devices feels normal to you, we are clearly in vastly different income brackets.

And I took it as humorous.  I just wanted to add a little information to the conversation.

Even though I work in IT, I have learned a LOT from reading the comments on this forum.  A LOT!!!   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1286 on: April 12, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »

Ok, I found the post, and I was mistaken. This individual actually had 11 devices going. LOL They had a whole server room.

Anyway, I'm going to stop because I don't want to out this guy for doing what most people do during the sale. I just wanted to make a point.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #1287 on: April 12, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
I think the whole multiple browser/multiple device thing is a gray area.  Does it feel fair?  Not exactly, but I'm not sure it feels unethical either.  If it falls within the established rules, then it's fair game.  Do I admit to being part of the problem?  Yes, but if I thought I had a choice I'd be happy not to do so.  As is, I feel I have to open multiple instances just to level the playing field.  I feel sorry for those who stick to the one person/one entry approach as they have decreased their chances.

But no matter which approach is used, there will still be people who complain.  For me, Gen Con seems to represent what some people want.  If you buy a badge, you are randomly assigned a specific time you can enter their housing portal.  So there is no waiting room.  The random lottery part happens in advance and you are notified of your timeslot a day in advance.  The stress comes from getting assigned a later time and then sweating as downtown hotels fill up.  And it takes several hours for the process to complete.  But it is a situation where each badge holder is given one unique time they can enter the housing portal and if you don't have a badge, you can't enter.

I know there are a lot of things for non-badge holders to do in downtown San Diego and some people are happy enough to skip the convention center and do off-sites.  So I don't know what the right thing here is.  As a badge holder, I wish I did have priority for rooms close to the convention center.  Why do non-attendees need those rooms?  They aren't going to the convention.  But I'm certain others will passionately argue things should stay as they are.  Bottom line is that the debates will continue and I'm not hearing from CCI a desire to change their position.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #1288 on: April 12, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »
Some people just volunteer rather than paying for a badge. 

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1289 on: April 12, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
Some people just volunteer rather than paying for a badge.

When you volunteer you don't get a physical badge?