Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211612 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1860 on: April 18, 2019, 09:53:30 AM »
We used to request a fridge but eventually the bother just didn't seem worth it. We never actually wanted to make sandwiches or use the fridge stuff. So now we just bring quick stuff we don't need to refrigerate (fruit, granola bars, jerky) and go by a vending machine if we want a REALLY COLD drink. It just works better for the way we do SDCC, but everyone's different.

Offline sdcc

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #1861 on: April 18, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So here's the updated list of missing downtown hotels:

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Courtyard San Diego Gaslamp/Convention Center
Doubletree San Diego Downtown
Embassy Suites San Diego Bay
Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown
Hotel Indigo San Diego - Gaslamp Quarter
Hotel Palomar San Diego
Hotel Republic San Diego
Moxy San Diego Downtown
Pendry Hotel
Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Bayfront

Has anybody seen or heard anything about the Embassy Suites?

eta: Removed Embassy Suites from the list

You can score off "Hotel Republic San Diego" as well

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1862 on: Today at 04:44:36 AM »

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #1862 on: April 18, 2019, 11:25:39 AM »
The minifridge is the most underrated item in a hotel room during CC. Horton also offers mini-fridges, but they're not standard in every room. You have to request it at check in and they rent it out for $10/night. And depending on if you check-in late in the day, they may run out of mini-fridges. This is based on my experience from last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Horton increased the rent charge to $15/night for this year.

Last year I stayed at the Wyndham Bay Front. Went over to Filippi's Pizza. Had a pizza for two. Was only able to finish half. Went back to the hotel room thinking I can put it in the fridge for breakfast the next day... Realized that there was no fridge.. Put the half pizza in the drawer under the tv..Pizza didn't taste the same the next day. Left it there... 

The End.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1863 on: April 18, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
Last year I stayed at the Wyndham Bay Front. Went over to Filippi's Pizza. Had a pizza for two. Was only able to finish half. Went back to the hotel room thinking I can put it in the fridge for breakfast the next day... Realized that there was no fridge.. Put the half pizza in the drawer under the tv..Pizza didn't taste the same the next day. Left it there... 

The End.

Hilarious... :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #1864 on: April 18, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »

The End.

Haha, similar to what happened to us last year. Lots of redeeming UberEats/DoorDash/Grubhub promos then quickly realizing we ordered way too much and had no way to store leftovers.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #1865 on: April 18, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
Am I the only one the fills up the bathroom sink with ice to put my beer in if there isn't a fridge? Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline cbaggs

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #1866 on: April 18, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
Am I the only one the fills up the bathroom sink with ice to put my beer in if there isn't a fridge? Lol

Definitely done that with wine bottles - one in the ice bucket, one in the sink!  Gotta have options...

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #1867 on: April 18, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
Red (and sometimes rose) wine taste ok at room temperature.  White wine should be chilled.  So... if you are stuck in a situation without a fridge and want some good wine.  Now ya know.   ;)

Also brittish people I dont understand how you can do beer room temperature.  When I was backpacking I was so confused.

ANYWAY a couple years ago I saw Styrofoam ice chests for like $10 as the Ralphs downtown.  Not sure if they are always there. I want to say this was like 2015 or 2016 when I noticed them and debated getting one. But it'd have been tossed after the con and I felt bad basically spending money on a huge hunk of soon to be garbage.  But that's a thing.

Offline Forge

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #1868 on: April 18, 2019, 11:49:04 AM »

I drink mine fast enough that it never gets warm  O:-)

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #1869 on: April 18, 2019, 11:50:06 AM »
Red (and sometimes rose) wine taste ok at room temperature.  White wine should be chilled.  So... if you are stuck in a situation without a fridge and want some good wine.  Now ya know.   ;)

Also brittish people I dont understand how you can do beer room temperature.  When I was backpacking I was so confused.

ANYWAY a couple years ago I saw Styrofoam ice chests for like $10 as the Ralphs downtown.  Not sure if they are always there. I want to say this was like 2015 or 2016 when I noticed them and debated getting one. But it'd have been tossed after the con and I felt bad basically spending money on a huge hunk of soon to be garbage.  But that's a thing.
Ralph’s also has insulated fabric coolers.  Bought a San Diego State one that I used in the room and kept refilling with ice.  Held about 6 cans.  Folded up nice to pack and take home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #1870 on: April 18, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »

This is one if those "As Seen on TV" products, and it too is styrofoam, but this may work for a lot of the people here who need a cooler but in a confined space.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For me, since I drive to the Con, I bring my full sized cooler. But for the rest of you all, this is supposedly something that works well.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #1871 on: April 18, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »

How do you wash your hands after going to the bathroom?
Sorry I ponder these stuff...

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #1872 on: April 18, 2019, 11:54:37 AM »

I wish you didn't ask that.....now I'm thinking I'm never shaking the hands of anyone at SDCC ever again......

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #1873 on: April 18, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »

There are two sinks in many rooms :)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1874 on: April 18, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »
Or occasionally a separate shower and tub. Who has time to take a tub bath at SDCC? Much better used as a cooler.