Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211344 times)

Offline freem118

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2370 on: April 26, 2019, 11:39:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just curious, do you know if Courtyard Marriott Downtown has enough room for a rollaway bed?

Via the website for a King room -  "Rollaway beds permitted: 1 at 15.00 USD per night"

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #2371 on: April 26, 2019, 11:54:53 AM »
Hotel luck stories:

Waaaaay back in 2009, I had a room booked at MMM direct for the outrageous price of $300 per night. But about a month before the con, I was on Travelocity and saw the HBF listed for under $200 per night. I was so excited and snapped it up! I went solo that year, so I was covering the entire hotel bill, so saving more than $100 per night felt great! I knew I was lucky, but I can't even imagine now a close hotel having availability and being listed on Travelocity a month before the con!

Then a few years ago, there was the Hotwire mess, where a bunch of us booked prepaid rooms at the Omni, and then Omni cancelled them 2 months later. Hotwire was amazing, and helped us all get rooms at other hotels that satisfied us. In my case, Hotwire paid over $1,000 per night for me to stay at HBF and didn't charge me any more than I had already paid through their site for Omni. THAT was serious luck (although also serious stress that year) and I know that will never happen again.

That's awesome.

What's ironic for myself is that my first two years that I attended SDCC (which was 2007 & 2008, the two years before "Twilight Ruin Comic-Con" signs were being held throughout the con (IIRC)), I didn't even bother to look for a downtown hotel because I was on a budget and knew they would be expensive.   In 2007, I stayed in hotel circle and rented a car to get to the con.  I was only there for Saturday.  I bought my ticket like one month before the event.  I found downtown parking without any problems.   In 2008, it was the first year I did all four days and I stayed at a hotel like 20 miles away.  I was able to drive in and park at Petco in the morning.   After Twilight hit Comic-Con hit SDCC the event sold out.   Even if Twilight didn't come to SDCC, it was only a matter of time for the event to be sold out with social media being what it is.  I mean, Coachella was a niche event where pretty much only fans of alternative rock knew about it and attended.   So, much has changed.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2372 on: Today at 05:55:03 PM »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #2372 on: April 26, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
Just to clarify on the hotel swap process. My friend has a hotel reservation that she wants to give to another friend. No deposit has been made yet. The only thing she's done is set up a password. So she just merely has to give the email + password to that friend, that friend makes the deposit, and that's it? Or does OnPeak need to get involved?

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #2373 on: April 26, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »
[member=4314]accelerate[/member] If the friend keeping the room is able to add her own name as an occupant, and she doesn't mind the other friend's name also being on the reservation, then you don't need to involve OnPeak. But if the friend who will actually use the room can't get her name added on the website, she'll probably want to call and do that at some point. (She can put down the deposit online first anyway, though, as long as she trusts friend 1 not to go in and change anything.)

Offline freem118

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #2374 on: April 26, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »
[member=4314]accelerate[/member] If the friend keeping the room is able to add her own name as an occupant, and she doesn't mind the other friend's name also being on the reservation, then you don't need to involve OnPeak. But if the friend who will actually use the room can't get her name added on the website, she'll probably want to call and do that at some point. (She can put down the deposit online first anyway, though, as long as she trusts friend 1 not to go in and change anything.)

The person receiving the reservation will need to call OnPeak to change the name on the reservation and roommates. I've found this most helpful in explaining: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
« Reply #2375 on: April 26, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »

Thanks! The tranferer and transferee are all part of the same extended group of friends who regularly go to SDCC, so there is mutual trust involved. Okay, I'll tell the transferer to just give email/password to transferee, have the transferee make deposit and try to add his own name. And if not possible, then the transferee should call OnPeak.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #2376 on: April 26, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »
Thanks! The tranferer and transferee are all part of the same extended group of friends who regularly go to SDCC, so there is mutual trust involved. Okay, I'll tell the transferer to just give email/password to transferee, have the transferee make deposit and try to add his own name. And if not possible, then the transferee should call OnPeak.
He should be able to add his name to the room right below where he enters his credit card information.
Section is Room Shares, Person 1, Person 2, etc.
Then after making payment, he should change the email address and phone number by clicking on the name in the upper right hand corner and then Edit Account.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2377 on: April 26, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »
Was looking online for info about the Pendry. One interesting thing that comes up is a review on tripadvisor from last year's SDCC by a VP of Communications for CBS. The only other review during those days is from someone else that mentions their "team." 

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #2378 on: April 26, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
Was looking online for info about the Pendry. One interesting thing that comes up is a review on tripadvisor from last year's SDCC by a VP of Communications for CBS. The only other review during those days is from someone else that mentions their "team."
That’s some good investigating [member=4270]mark[/member]!😉

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #2379 on: April 27, 2019, 01:52:54 AM »
Battling the post con blues by starting the thread for next year. Any hotel stalkers find some decent backup options?

Don't forget those hotel reviews!

I realize that this is an old posting but still so sage regarding the hotel reviews.  OnPeak assigned the Wyndham San Diego Bayside to me (not on my list).  According to a recent Yelp reviewer, a cockroach was residing in their room - gross.  Anyone else stay at the Wyndham with or without any issues or surprise house guests?  Is this par for the course for hotels closer to the water or am I being naive? 

Offline Nimitz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2380 on: April 29, 2019, 11:07:06 AM »
Is Onpeak phone lines getting slammed now or can I call them and have them add my name as main and move my aunt whos account I used to make the reservation to secondary. Also will I be able to add my hotel loyalty number since I was speeding thru so I would get the room after missing out a few times before.

Offline lrdavis28

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2381 on: April 29, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »
Ended up at the republic,gonna be hitting f5 for the next month

Offline TeamKiLL3R

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #2382 on: April 29, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »
Would to hotels care if wether or not how many people stay in the room? I know prices would usually go up a bit when the number of occupants increases, but the sdcc hotel prices are set regardless.

We have some late additions and went from 5 (2 kids) occupants to 7 (3 kids). Anyone ever roomshare with way too many people? How much is too much for a standard room because I'm thinking anything over 5 is alot.

I have brought extra people in the past. 6 (3 kids) people in a room with a single bed. What I have done to not have any issue is go check in by myself so that they can’t count how many people I have. Ounce you have a key and are walking thru the lobby they are so busy they don’t notice the extra people. In the room we’ve had to move furniture and blow up an air mattress but we make sure to deflate it and clean up every morning so that it doesn’t draw attention. Hope theses tips help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
« Reply #2383 on: April 29, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »
To add to the above, you _may_ be able to get away with requesting extra hotel card keys. Every year, they have special SDCC card keys at most hotels. I like to collect them all, so I will always ask the hotel if I can have the full set. Sometimes they will, sometimes they'll give me just one extra, and sometimes they won't, BUT they'll say when I check out, I can have the full set then. I have the full set of SDCC hotel keys from at least the past 5 years.

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #2384 on: April 29, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
To add to the above, you _may_ be able to get away with requesting extra hotel card keys. Every year, they have special SDCC card keys at most hotels. I like to collect them all, so I will always ask the hotel if I can have the full set. Sometimes they will, sometimes they'll give me just one extra, and sometimes they won't, BUT they'll say when I check out, I can have the full set then. I have the full set of SDCC hotel keys from at least the past 5 years.

I've done this! MMM will give you the SDCC key cards without coding them to you room, too.