Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211569 times)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2430 on: April 30, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have not but I tend to check in really early on the day of check in.  Like 8am ish

This had nothing to do with check-in time, as far as I could tell, because they had letters all typed out for us that were dated two days before our expected arrival.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #2431 on: April 30, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »
This had nothing to do with check-in time, as far as I could tell, because they had letters all typed out for us that were dated two days before our expected arrival.

Wow, that totally sucks man. dang,.... i'd have been soooooo mad.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2432 on: Today at 02:51:29 AM »

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #2432 on: April 30, 2019, 10:12:30 AM »

Do they gave you a Solution? I know I would freak out badly

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #2433 on: April 30, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »
Do they gave you a Solution? I know I would freak out badly

They sent us to another hotel.  In our opinion, it was a lower quality hotel with no breakfast.  They offered to send a shuttle to pick us up so we could come to Crowne Plaza for breakfast.  No thanks.  We wanted breakfast for the convenience.  They did give us some vouchers and credit to make up for it, but we were very unhappy.  At the very least, they could have bumped us up, not down.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
« Reply #2434 on: April 30, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »

They sent us to another hotel.  In our opinion, it was a lower quality hotel with no breakfast.  They offered to send a shuttle to pick us up so we could come to Crowne Plaza for breakfast.  No thanks.  We wanted breakfast for the convenience.  They did give us some vouchers and credit to make up for it, but we were very unhappy.  At the very least, they could have bumped us up, not down.

It seems like gone are the days of real customer service especially during huge events like SDCC.  Feels like a "lets just feed the cattle" mentality and that we are just an annoyance and burden on them.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #2435 on: April 30, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »
Two years ago, the Crowne Plaza that we booked through OnPeak told us they were overbooked when we arrived.  According to them, this is something the hotels do during SDCC.  That was the first and only time I've ever been bumped from a hotel, period.  Tell me, has anyone else ever been bumped from an OnPeak-reserved room?
My sister almost did when we were staying at the Residence Inn Bayfront, they tried to put her into a Springhill Suite room because like at the last minute Hasbro decided to take up a bunch of the RI rooms and so they wanted to bump her - I mean, it's not the worst thing?  Its still a nice room but she wanted the kitchen specifically for her daughter (picky eater/dietary needs).  In the end, she talked her way back into her original room.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #2436 on: April 30, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »
Two years ago, the Crowne Plaza that we booked through OnPeak told us they were overbooked when we arrived.  According to them, this is something the hotels do during SDCC.  That was the first and only time I've ever been bumped from a hotel, period.  Tell me, has anyone else ever been bumped from an OnPeak-reserved room?

I've heard enough of these stories (including from two friends of mine) that I've started coming in on Tuesdays. There's virtually no way for them to give away my room if I arrive that early. In the case of my two friends, for one of them, they still ended up in the downtown, but at the far edge, but for the other, they were relegated to Mission Valley. For the one that was still downtown, they were given vouchers for free meals and for free parking.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #2437 on: April 30, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
I mean, is there somewhere a clause that talks about overbooking?

Same deal with airlines.  They can overbook because they anticipate cancellations no shows.  It happened to me when I went with my mom to a work conference.  They ended up putting us in a hospitality suite with two cots, which turned out to be not bad. 

The trick is to get their early.  It's usually the one arriving late at night who gets the boot. 

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #2438 on: April 30, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
Same deal with airlines.  They can overbook because they anticipate cancellations no shows.  It happened to me when I went with my mom to a work conference.  They ended up putting us in a hospitality suite with two cots, which turned out to be not bad. 

The trick is to get their early.  It's usually the one arriving late at night who gets the boot.
I had that happen for a work conference in Minneapolis.  My coworker and I got separated because they had overbooked.  They said that it was because someone with a Platinum or whatever membership had decided to book and that they take those over our lowly corporate rate bookings.  Not sure if that holds weight during SDCC.

Offline Nimitz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2439 on: April 30, 2019, 12:49:50 PM »
I emailed onpeak about changing a name on a reservation, how long for them to reply on average. I would call but the reservation is in my aunt name and she is very busy during the times that onpeak is open. I just wanted to add my name as main and my aunt as secondary since I will be arriving first. also my name is not on the original reservation so I could not do anything on the phone.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #2440 on: April 30, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
I emailed onpeak about changing a name on a reservation, how long for them to reply on average. I would call but the reservation is in my aunt name and she is very busy during the times that onpeak is open. I just wanted to add my name as main and my aunt as secondary since I will be arriving first. also my name is not on the original reservation so I could not do anything on the phone.

As long as you have the account info (address, phone number) they're not gonna grill you about changing the name on the reservation. I would call, and honestly I would just wait until the craziness dies down (a couple weeks after the first deadline)

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #2441 on: April 30, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »
Refund policy for those interested

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Deposits this year are fully refundable until 5/10/19 9:59pm pacific time.

Reservations cancelled between the dates of Saturday, May 11, 2019, through Friday, May 31, 2019, by 9:59 PM (PDT) will incur a one (1) night's room rate plus tax cancellation fee deducted from the deposit provided

Reservations cancelled on or after Saturday, June 1, 2019 will result in a fully non-refundable deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reposting the refund policy from earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shadows

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #2442 on: April 30, 2019, 04:55:15 PM »
just to confirm, the page auto refreshes right? I don't have to keep hitting F5?

I have bad news for you...

Offline DianaOfThemyscira

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #2443 on: April 30, 2019, 04:56:31 PM »
Does anyone know, if you DON'T cancel before the 10th, and something better pops up, can you transfer to deposit ALREADY PAID to the new hotel? Would there be a penalty>

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
« Reply #2444 on: April 30, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
Does anyone know, if you DON'T cancel before the 10th, and something better pops up, can you transfer to deposit ALREADY PAID to the new hotel? Would there be a penalty>

You can not i'm afraid. To upgrade after 10th will require you bite a night on the deposit. People do it though.