Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211004 times)

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2475 on: May 03, 2019, 08:57:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For MGH, can you choose which tower you stay in, or what direction you face, or is there any extra charge like there is at the Bayfront (if you want to face the convention center)?

Did anyone answer this? I'm curious to know as well.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2476 on: May 03, 2019, 10:20:44 AM »
You could always try to give MGH a call.  When I've called hotels with questions I feel like there's a 50/50 shot of them not knowing anything or actually giving a decent tip on how that works.  So your mileage may vary.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2477 on: Today at 05:31:48 AM »

Offline bball2026

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #2477 on: May 03, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
For MGH, can you choose which tower you stay in, or what direction you face, or is there any extra charge like there is at the Bayfront (if you want to face the convention center)?
It depends, the past 4 years I stayed at MGH and each time I put my rewards account number with my reservation. Last year was the first time someone contacted me through email about any special request that I may have before I arrived. I was in no ways a big Hyatt Account Rewards member as I had the lowest level.

I indicated a specific room I wanted as we stayed in that room the year previously. When I checked in that room that I requested was held for me. It has a great view of the water as it was on the backside of one of the towers.

So it is possible and does not hurt to ask by calling or when you check in.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:53:34 AM by bball2026 »

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #2478 on: May 03, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
My apologies if this has already been addressed but when I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Chicago for Celebration, in April, I was unable to obtain my AAA discount due to the fact that they had already charged my card and I had paid in advance.  Thought I would share this with others who plan to use their AAA discount when they reach their hotel (and have already paid in full). 

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #2479 on: May 03, 2019, 11:16:19 AM »
My apologies if this has already been addressed but when I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Chicago for Celebration, in April, I was unable to obtain my AAA discount due to the fact that they had already charged my card and I had paid in advance.  Thought I would share this with others who plan to use their AAA discount when they reach their hotel (and have already paid in full).

Yes - all rooms booked through OnPeak will likely be ineligible for any other discounts you might have access to. The rooms are already considered to be discounted to "convention rate" and most of the hotels will not allow you to add additional discounts or, in some cases, pay with points.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2480 on: May 03, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
100% what semigeekgirl said.  However, some places let you use OTHER perks that aren't related to room rate.  At the Hilton they let us have free WiFi, which is paid for non honors members.  My roommate also has the ability to check us in on his phone and use his phone as a room key which is APPARENTLY (can't confirm this myself) an honors club only thing.  But as far as room rates go, we pay the same as everyone else attending the con pays.

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #2481 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »
I end up enrolling in the respective hotel's (free) perks program, whether I end up staying there or not.  One never knows what benefits it may bring! 

Offline Volsspongebob

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2482 on: May 03, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
Did anyone answer this? I'm curious to know as well.

I have stayed at MGH the last 3 years. As soon as we get there we ask for the tower closest to the convention center and we have never been turned down.

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #2483 on: May 03, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »
100% what semigeekgirl said.  However, some places let you use OTHER perks that aren't related to room rate.  At the Hilton they let us have free WiFi, which is paid for non honors members.  My roommate also has the ability to check us in on his phone and use his phone as a room key which is APPARENTLY (can't confirm this myself) an honors club only thing.  But as far as room rates go, we pay the same as everyone else attending the con pays.

yeah the check in and use your phone as a room key is true for honors club only and with the app. I just saw a commercial on TV about that lol

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #2484 on: May 03, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
yeah the check in and use your phone as a room key is true for honors club only and with the app. I just saw a commercial on TV about that lol
Yes. Got free WiFi and phone key access, when I stayed at  HBF last year.(I have Hilton Honors).  The phone key access was wonky though.  Was sharing the room and sometimes roommate card key wouldn’t work if I had used my phone access earlier in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #2485 on: May 04, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
I have stayed at MGH the last 3 years. As soon as we get there we ask for the tower closest to the convention center and we have never been turned down.

Do you know the name of the tower closest to convention center? Just curious because if they contact or email ahead of time and you are requesting a certain room, hoping they may accommodate that request

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #2486 on: May 05, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »
Even when I have a hotel I like to keep an eye on things in case I am ever having to scramble for a room in the future. This year seems like really slim pickings. Is this the new reality or are things going to pick up soon? Where the heck is Town and Country?

Offline neuralhandshake

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #2487 on: May 05, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
Even when I have a hotel I like to keep an eye on things in case I am ever having to scramble for a room in the future. This year seems like really slim pickings. Is this the new reality or are things going to pick up soon? Where the heck is Town and Country?

T&C popped up earlier, saw it briefly.

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #2488 on: May 05, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »
Seems like it used to sit there for days or weeks.

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #2489 on: May 05, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »

I think a lot of people are wanting more for a downtown hotel because of the change in shuttle times. You cant hangout so late in Gaslamp and shuttle it back to your hotel in Mission Valley anymore. Plus, with this being  No. 50, I think a lot of people want to get there as early as possible (lines) and being on shuttle outside of downtown, you cant do that. But you can wake up at 4 and walk to the Center fro. Downtown and be ok..