Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127720 times)

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2020, 01:04:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will argue this point. It matters not whether China silenced anything. Even when it was obvious how bad this thing was and people were dying on ships and all over Italy, the U.S. government played it down. So, even when obvious, we did nothing. If China had come out with bullhorns ablaring, we would have done nothing. Right now, we know darn well what it can do, and we're rushing to open everything back up. People are protesting, gathering in groups without masks, etc. We should not be blaming China for our own stupidity.
The intelligence community warned the President in December and January that China was lying about the problem and he ignored them. That’s on him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
I will argue this point. It matters not whether China silenced anything. Even when it was obvious how bad this thing was and people were dying on ships and all over Italy, the U.S. government played it down. So, even when obvious, we did nothing. If China had come out with bullhorns ablaring, we would have done nothing. Right now, we know darn well what it can do, and we're rushing to open everything back up. People are protesting, gathering in groups without masks, etc. We should not be blaming China for our own stupidity.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #257 on: Today at 08:54:06 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »

I agree.  I find it extremely hypocritical what the Trump administration is doing.  They are trying to find scapegoats where ever they can to divert blame for their own failings.

The local Wuhan authorities tried to silence it initially.  Beijing overrode that and blew the warning horn to the world.  In China now, that doctor is touted as a hero.

One person may have been silenced in China.  The Trump administration has tried to silence many more than one.  The CDC as a whole, the Captain of the Roosevelt, Fauci, Bright, Redfield ...  The list goes on and on.  That's just the big profile names.  How many people that aren't that well known trying to do the right thing have been silenced?  We'll never know.

Here in the US, Trump repeatedly downplayed the pandemic.  He still does.  He recently said that if we don't test then we won't have as many cases.  What?  Just 2 days ago, the world had the most number of new covid cases in one day ever.  Yet the Trump administration is trying to convince people that it's all over.  It hasn't even peaked.

So he's trying to cast blame where ever he can to divert from where the blame should fall.  On himself.  One organization he's trying to make into a scapegoat is the WHO.  It's sad that some are falling for it.  The WHO is a very reputable organization.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
I agree.  I find it extremely hypocritical what the Trump administration is doing.  They are trying to find scapegoats where ever they can to divert blame for their own failings.

The local Wuhan authorities tried to silence it initially.  Beijing overrode that and blew the warning horn to the world.  In China now, that doctor is touted as a hero.

One person may have been silenced in China.  The Trump administration has tried to silence many more than one.  The CDC as a whole, the Captain of the Roosevelt, Fauci, Bright, Redfield ...  The list goes on and on.  That's just the big profile names.  How many people that aren't that well known trying to do the right thing have been silenced?  We'll never know.

Here in the US, Trump repeatedly downplayed the pandemic.  He still does.  He recently said that if we don't test then we won't have as many cases.  What?  Just 2 days ago, the world had the most number of new covid cases in one day ever.  Yet the Trump administration is trying to convince people that it's all over.  It hasn't even peaked. (Debatable when looking at data.) - MW

So he's trying to cast blame where ever he can to divert from where the blame should fall.  On himself.  One organization he's trying to make into a scapegoat is the WHO.  It's sad that some are falling for it.  The WHO is a very reputable organization. (Debatable now due to suspect leadership.) - MW
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:49:04 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:34 PM »
Those things are only debatable if you buy into unsupported conspiracy theories.  I do not.  I stick with the facts.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
Today, I went into a store for the 3rd time in about 3 months.  It was my worst experience of the 3.  The first 2 times, I didn't expect everyone to be masked up so dressed accordingly.  I was covered head to toe with goggles.  Today, wearing a mask has been recommended so long and the store I went to has a must wear mask policy so I thought I wouldn't have to.  While the majority of people did follow that policy, even those who wore it with their nose exposed which defeats the purpose, there were a few people that didn't.  I avoided most, I would literally turn around in an aisle if I saw one.  In one situation I couldn't and this one dude mask free and yapping on his phone walks right at me.  There was so much space around me that he could have easily walked around me with plenty of space to spare.  I ended up saying "wear a mask" before he diverted around me way closer than he should have.

Why is it so hard for some people to do the right thing?

In another development, counting on antibody testing to allow people back to work was dealt a blow today.  The CDC is warning that antibody testing may only be right half the time.  Depending on the situation, if someone tests positive for covid antibodies there's only a 49% chance that that person actually has covid antibodies.  It's a coin toss.

"For example, in a population where the prevalence is 5%, a test with 90% sensitivity and 95% specificity will yield a positive predictive value of 49%. In other words, less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies."

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:43:57 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2020, 12:18:48 AM »
I'm of the mind that the governments of both countries should be heavily criticized for their policies that allowed the pandemic to happen. Yes, China did heavily lie about the spread of the disease in the beginning, it's part of why the WHO was giving out bad info about the virus in the beginning. I believe our country and the Western countries should heavily rethink our future relationship with China. We've relied on them too much for their cheap goods while ignoring their human rights abuse. It's bit us on the butt with the former seeing how hard it is for our country to make our own medical and N95 masks and other PPE that we have to overbid against ourselves to buy PPE from China for our hospitals, not to mention how frustrating it is the masks that we try to buy have questionable quality.

Btw, China is still lying about the covid origins. Just another example of how scummy their gov't is.

It's definitely being spread in Chinese news. My parents watch Chinese news and seem to believe this conspiracy theory. So their gov't and our Trump-led gov't, just two sides of the same coin. It would almost be hilarious to see our two gov'ts try to out-lie each other if it weren't for all the causalities from all the lies.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2020, 08:01:47 AM »

Btw, China is still lying about the covid origins. Just another example of how scummy their gov't is.

It's definitely being spread in Chinese news. My parents watch Chinese news and seem to believe this conspiracy theory. So their gov't and our Trump-led gov't, just two sides of the same coin.

That they are two sides of the same coin, I would agree with here. Our government is no better than theirs, so we should stop throwing stones and just get on with digging ourselves out of this hole.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
I think I should change the title of this thread from "... In the age of Covoid" to "....in the age of 2020"

This year needs to stop

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
That they are two sides of the same coin, I would agree with here. Our government is no better than theirs, so we should stop throwing stones and just get on with digging ourselves out of this hole.

It's the hypocrisy that I find most irritating.  We often criticize others while proceeding to do the same ourselves.

In times like this, historically the world does come together to solve the problem.  Allies and enemies put aside their differences and work for the common good.  Recriminations come, but they come after the crisis.  This time, we are splintering apart before it's even peaked.  Pulling out of the WHO in the middle of a pandemic is not wise.  Not for us, not for the world.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »
Finally checking in...

I’ve been on the frontlines for the past 3.5 months - work is at a healthcare facility and we’ve constantly had 12-20 covid positives in our care during that time.   Some got better, some we lost but no matter what, others always took their places.   It’s taken a huge toll on all of us here and so it bothers me greatly that so many in the outside world just treat it like a joke, a major inconvenience.   

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »
Finally checking in...

I’ve been on the frontlines for the past 3.5 months - work is at a healthcare facility and we’ve constantly had 12-20 covid positives in our care during that time.   Some got better, some we lost but no matter what, others always took their places.   It’s taken a huge toll on all of us here and so it bothers me greatly that so many in the outside world just treat it like a joke, a major inconvenience.

Thank you for all you do for your patients, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login !

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2020, 09:18:20 PM »
It’s taken a huge toll on all of us here and so it bothers me greatly that so many in the outside world just treat it like a joke, a major inconvenience.

That's the saddest part about the whole thing.  So many have died, so many have gotten sick and so many have suffered financially.  Yet it seems like many Americans have decided they are bored with the pandemic and have decided they no longer care.  So now we are worse off than we were 3 months ago.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2020, 10:16:01 PM »
About a month ago with a doctor’s note, I took an antibody test at Quest Diagnostics to see if I have been exposed to Covid-19.  As of a month ago, I have not.  This morning, at the urging of my worry-wart brother, I took a blood test to see what my blood type is.  If it’s Type-O, I have a somewhat lower chance of getting seriously sick if I get infected.  If it’s Type-A, then I have a greater chance of getting seriously ill.  Finally at some point I will take a Covid-19 test except my silly brother wants me to “coordinate” with him so if I, brother, his wife and my mother all take the Covid-19 test at the same time and all four of us come back negative, then he comes up with this B.S. in his head that it will be safe for all four of us to get together WITHOUT socially distancing or wearing face masks and that my mom can spend a week with my brother and his wife at their place in San Diego giving me a well-deserved break from Mom at my place.

So over the last three months, all my get-togethers and socializing has been via Zoom (which I also own stock in).  Earlier in the pandemic, most of our groceries has been via Instacart, but we’ve done some in-person groceries as well with face masks.  I do take walks with Mom making sure we don’t get close to anybody.  This past weekend we ran into friends at a nearby park while social distancing.  Three weekends ago, we had our first haircuts in four months.  Today, my gym reopened, but my brother warns me not to use it.

So that’s my life in a nutshell in the Covid-19 era!
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2020, 12:12:09 AM »
About a month ago with a doctor’s note, I took an antibody test at Quest Diagnostics to see if I have been exposed to Covid-19.  As of a month ago, I have not.  This morning, at the urging of my worry-wart brother, I took a blood test to see what my blood type is.  If it’s Type-O, I have a somewhat lower chance of getting seriously sick if I get infected.  If it’s Type-A, then I have a greater chance of getting seriously ill. 

According to CDC guidance, there's no place in the US where the antibody tests are more than 50% accurate.  So even if you test positive for antibodies, there's only a 50% chance that you really have antibodies.  It's a coin toss.

Blood type effect was initially announced about 3 months ago out of China.  It was confirmed by both the US and Europe about 2 weeks ago.  As in many things during this pandemic, China is ahead of the curve by about 3 months.  They make announcements which are greeted with skepticism but then are later confirmed by the rest of the world.  Wearing a mask is the prime example of that.

Type O is good.  Type A is not good.  I'm type O but the benefit, while welcome, is not so much as to change my behavior at all.  Being type O doesn't make someone impervious.  Type O reduces the chances of being so sick as to need a ventilator, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences.  That's something else that the Chinese reported a few months ago that's now being confirmed in the rest of the world.  Even after someone recovers, they may not fully recover.  There can be permanent damage.  Even for the lucky that are asymptomatic, they may still have permanent organ damage.  They may not notice it now, but they may a few years down the road.  The more and more we learn about covid.  The worse and worse it gets.  Covid is not a respiratory illness.  It's a whole body illness that's spread through the respiratory system.  To paraphrase Peter Piot, it effects every cell in the body.