Author Topic: MotorCycles?  (Read 7020 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
MotorCycles?
« on: October 13, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
anyone ride/own one? Thoughts?

I'm thinking about getting a cruzer...... LOL

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
Re: MotorCycles?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
Nice looking bike!  8)

I had several bikes when I was younger. I commuted on them and even used to ride to Vegas when I was in my twenties! (waaay before the I-15 corridor between north San Diego county and Barstow exploded with growth) Then I gave up riding after a close call or two and another friend got hit (thankfully she was ok).

Weird thing is, years later I took up road cycling. Talk about taking your life into your hands sometimes, lol.

Anyway, cool bike. Enjoy!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:52:11 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nice looking bike!  8)

I had several bikes when I was younger. I commuted on them and even used to ride to Vegas when I was in my twenties! (waaay before the I-15 corridor between north San Diego county and Barstow exploded with growth) Then I gave up riding after a close call or two and another friend got hit (thankfully she was ok).

Weird thing is, years later I took up road cycling. Talk about taking your life into your hands sometimes, lol.

Anyway, cool bike. Enjoy!!
yeah, i have done a lot of road biking.... LOL
this is a new idea- i haven't even sat on that bike but i need something low & comfy & it's gotta have pickup.
I should be looking at new rider classes first ---
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 04:16:40 PM »
yeah, i have done a lot of road biking.... LOL
this is a new idea- i haven't even sat on that bike but i need something low & comfy & it's gotta have pickup.
I should be looking at new rider classes first ---
Yeah, you definitely want a bike that allows you to place both feet flat on the ground when you’re stopped. And I definitely recommend new rider classes. Not only will they teach you safety skills but also the rules that will help you pass the written and rider portions of your exam at DMV.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
Been riding since '01, and for me it's therapy.  I've done more than my share of rides and rallies but my best riding was in Sturgis, South Dakota.  The scenery, the ride through the various areas, it was the best riding I've done.

My current ride is a '14 Harley Davidson CVO Breakout.  I had a Fat Boy prior to this, and was about to chop the heck out of the frame, rake it out, put a bigger back wheel, but this model has all of that and more, and it was stock.

Love love love riding.  My only challenge is the NE here, the weather, isn't conducive to all-year riding.  But it's a blast.

"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 06:29:13 PM »
@Michael  M that’s a nice looking bike 👍

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
what a nice bike!!

I can see the therapy aspect. I got a ride last weekend and **loved** it. we were out for hours
I think for my first bike i need something inexpensive, used and comfortable so not a Harley. Being a technician i need a bike that's solid and as heavy as i can handle. I like smooth solid machines.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
So.... where does the iguana ride? Is there a basket? ;)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 08:55:52 AM »
So.... where does the iguana ride? Is there a basket? ;)
bearded dragon... LOL
As i said this is a new idea- but i'm confident i'll figure that out after all
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:57:53 AM by alyssa »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 11:38:55 AM »
what a nice bike!!

I can see the therapy aspect. I got a ride last weekend and **loved** it. we were out for hours
I think for my first bike i need something inexpensive, used and comfortable so not a Harley. Being a technician i need a bike that's solid and as heavy as i can handle. I like smooth solid machines.
I used to ride a 250CC scooter around.  I swapped out the muffler for a racing exhaust and it got between 65 & 70 mph on the freeways on the rare occasions I did that.
I LOVED it, and only got rid of it because of mechanical issues (note: do NOT get a cheap, off-brand bike - go w/the name brand you trust).  I was definitely therapeutic, and actually made my commute a lot more peaceful: with only other drivers and pedestrians to focus on (and no radio/CD player/bluetooth; AC/heating controls; drinks or snacks; children in the backseat; etc) my commute to work daily was quite enjoyable.  My racing exhaust made me LOUD, so there were zero problems with people not hearing me (as can be the case with other scooters).

I definitely want to get a motorcycle and get back to riding.  I'm told by my wife I can probably do that again when our youngest gets older and the need for carseats and what not ends.  The gas usage alone makes it incredibly economic, and when you add how much easier it can be to get around traffic (motorcycles can use the carpool lanes!) it's a no brainer for SoCA commuting IMO.

I did take a motorcycle safety course.  Once you pass the written exam to get a learner's permit, you can take the weekend-long (Friday evening, all-day Saturday; Sunday morning) course to really get a handle on riding and maneuvering.  Plus, upon completion/passing of the class you get a certificate that is the equivalent of passing the DMV maneuverability test (which is TOUGH, I think). 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »
I did take a motorcycle safety course.  Once you pass the written exam to get a learner's permit, you can take the weekend-long (Friday evening, all-day Saturday; Sunday morning) course to really get a handle on riding and maneuvering.  Plus, upon completion/passing of the class you get a certificate that is the equivalent of passing the DMV maneuverability test (which is TOUGH, I think). 

i'm in the process of looking at courses, it has to fit into my school sched. which is ev.&wkends. I'm looking at the courses through the CA dot.

there seems to be some confusion if i'd need a learners permit before attending- but i'll get that sorted when i have time. yeah i really like the idea of not having to take the dmv maneuverability test- i get nervous when i'm taking tests & mess up even the most basic material.

i need to sit on a few bikes before i can decide what type i want, body position etc, but i am drawn to the long distant cruzers. I didn't know that about the carpool lane.... //bigGrin

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 01:44:36 PM »
bearded dragon... LOL
As i said this is a new idea- but i'm confident i'll figure that out after all

The yearly baby gecko invasion has ended.  Every year, starting about a month ago, the house is swarming with baby geckos.  They are everywhere.  I take them outside when I see them but tragedies happen.  A few get flattened in door jams.  There was even a big gecko this year.  I opened up the door and saw movement out the side of my eye.  I looked on the wall outside and there was a big gecko clinging to there.

As for motorcycles, have you thought about going electric?  I've been riding an electric scooter for about 20 years.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 05:48:10 PM »
I used to ride a 250CC scooter around.  I swapped out the muffler for a racing exhaust and it got between 65 & 70 mph on the freeways on the rare occasions I did that.
I LOVED it, and only got rid of it because of mechanical issues (note: do NOT get a cheap, off-brand bike - go w/the name brand you trust).  I was definitely therapeutic, and actually made my commute a lot more peaceful: with only other drivers and pedestrians to focus on (and no radio/CD player/bluetooth; AC/heating controls; drinks or snacks; children in the backseat; etc) my commute to work daily was quite enjoyable.  My racing exhaust made me LOUD, so there were zero problems with people not hearing me (as can be the case with other scooters).

I definitely want to get a motorcycle and get back to riding.  I'm told by my wife I can probably do that again when our youngest gets older and the need for carseats and what not ends.  The gas usage alone makes it incredibly economic, and when you add how much easier it can be to get around traffic (motorcycles can use the carpool lanes!) it's a no brainer for SoCA commuting IMO.

[member=380]perc2100[/member] is spot-on here.  Not only is the MSF a good way to get a leg up, you (upon passing) have your license, and at least here in PA, some insurance companies give discounted rates to people that take/pass it.

I was asked to help run a local MSF test class after I passed years ago and had to decline due to scheduling issues.  But it would've been a blast.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
[member=380]perc2100[/member] is spot-on here.  Not only is the MSF a good way to get a leg up, you (upon passing) have your license, and at least here in PA, some insurance companies give discounted rates to people that take/pass it.

I was asked to help run a local MSF test class after I passed years ago and had to decline due to scheduling issues.  But it would've been a blast.
Goofy story about my class:

On day one the instructors (many of whom worked for the military, training them to maneuver on motorcycles) stressed that there are two types of bike riders: those who've "laid down their bike" (wrecked), and "those who haven't laid down their bike YET."  At that point I'd had my learner's permit almost a year and hadn't wrecked yet so I of course immediately got a bit nervous thinking about that.  This was Friday evening.
Saturday morning was all-day learning maneuverability, and it was tough but I felt pretty good about what I learned.  Sunday was the review & testing day: and it was raining.  It wasn't raining hard, mind you, just enough to 1)make visibility with my helmet (complete with fave 'visor') slightly prblematic and 2)make the parking lot slippery.  I was doing a maneuver when I hydroplaned, tipped over, and skidded a few feet on my side.  It hurt a bit, but didn't do any real damage to myself or the bike (which belonged to the company - an oldish 250CC bike). 
One of the instructors comes running up to me to make sure I'm not injured, and asks, "are you ok?!"
My response: "I'm great: I just 'laid down my bike' and moved into that side of the motorcycle riders' club and hopefully now won't have to worry about laying down my OWN bike!!"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »
So the helmet,
In my defense, it has teeth on it and as my poster buddies know, I like the teeth....
In my defense it was $80 dollars cheaper then the black in the same design.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk