Author Topic: Marriott Marquis  (Read 6460 times)

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
Re: Marriott Marquis
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 12:38:49 PM »
If you are staying there you get a parking pass. Or maybe there was a one time fee. But certainty not a fee when you leave.

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »
Last time we stayed there overnight parking was $35 for self parking and $50 for valet parking.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:44:19 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »
I stayed there this year and I just checked my folio from that stay. Parking was charged at $28/night before tax.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »
I'm an SD local with a 20-minute drive to the convention center, but would be cool if one of these years I could book a stay at one of the "big three" hotels (MGH, HBF, MM) and experience con week the way a true visitor would.  Downtown San Diego is such a blast that time of year...
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 04:42:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You could also try the Marriott Gaslamp. I believe it's a little easier to book rooms with them directly, and theyr'e not that much further from the convention center. They're still in the middle of the action!

I've stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp during SDCC before, and can confirm: it's in a great location for getting to the Convention Center AND being near all of the restaurants and the action downtown.

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »
I've stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp during SDCC before, and can confirm: it's in a great location for getting to the Convention Center AND being near all of the restaurants and the action downtown.

I have also stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp. Not only is it close to everything, the hotel itself is nice too. The rooftop bar is nice if they don't have it closed for events.
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020

Offline force951

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
Just park in an airport lot, and uber/train it back to the hotel. Saves you a decent chunk of change.

Offline geek_girlie

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 07:20:38 PM »
Just park in an airport lot, and uber/train it back to the hotel. Saves you a decent chunk of change.

Just curious (and sorry if this doesn't belong here), but how is Ubering back and forth during SDCC from outside the Gaslamp? We had an issue last year where our driver was only 2 blocks away (in the Gaslamp), but it took her nearly 20 minutes to get to us. I imagine it would be worse trying to get into the convention center area to drop off.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »
My friends and I actually had two separate Uber/Lyft drivers tell us that most of them in the area (the drivers, I mean) go off duty during the week of Comic Con, because the trouble from crowds/traffic around the convention center make it just not worth the money. So, for what it's worth, the reduced number of available drivers might make it more difficult to find a ride quickly.

That being said, I imagine it would probably be easier if you're in one of the outlying areas (i.e. Mission Valley) and trying to travel INTO the Gaslamp/Convention Center area, as opposed to trying to get a ride from inside the Gaslamp itself.

...Hopefully that makes sense.

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 08:34:45 PM »
Just curious (and sorry if this doesn't belong here), but how is Ubering back and forth during SDCC from outside the Gaslamp? We had an issue last year where our driver was only 2 blocks away (in the Gaslamp), but it took her nearly 20 minutes to get to us. I imagine it would be worse trying to get into the convention center area to drop off.

The first year that I did Comic Con in 2016 we were staying outside the Downtown area and I used Uber to get everywhere, I didn't have a problem at all but I would always go to the corner of 1st and Island to get an Uber and I would get them to drop me off at the corner of Front & W Island. I think that max that I had to wait was a couple of minutes.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 09:59:19 PM »
The first year that I did Comic Con in 2016 we were staying outside the Downtown area and I used Uber to get everywhere, I didn't have a problem at all but I would always go to the corner of 1st and Island to get an Uber and I would get them to drop me off at the corner of Front & W Island. I think that max that I had to wait was a couple of minutes.
yeah, having driven close to there during con.. it's a real pia to get anywhere close to the con. it's best to walk out of the gaslamp, even the Hyatt area is far enough.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »

I'm going to go against the trend here and say I've actually had really great success with Lyft/Uber during the con!  Yes, it takes some time for them to get to you, but I already live in a big crowded city that has that problem anyway so I'm used to it.  And most Lyft drivers I had were super curious about the con and made for some great conversation.

I only had one bad experience when a stranger hopped in my Lyft before I could.  I had to learn how to cancel a ride that night and that wasn't fun.  But that could happen anywhere so I don't blame SDCC.

Not to self promote too much, but I wrote about various transportation options in my You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Just scroll down past the hotels section for all the various ways to get around.  :) 

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 10:31:22 AM »
I bet there were more problems/issues with Uber/Lyft last year because of the Harbor Drive closure.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
I bet there were more problems/issues with Uber/Lyft last year because of the Harbor Drive closure.

I found it just meant things take longer, but I didn't have a problem getting a ride.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 11:43:52 AM »
Yeah, the couple of times I've tried to do a Lyft/Uber/cab, it's been reallllllly slow getting anywhere through the Gaslamp. I usually prefer to walk unless I'm carrying tons of stuff or wearing ridiculous shoes.