Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Top Ten list  (Read 3147 times)

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
SDCC 2017 Top Ten list
« on: January 18, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »
So I just got done listening to the Parks and Cons podcast with their wrap up of their top moments of the year and it really got me in the mood to talk about SDCC.  Since we are just about right in the middle of the year between last years con and this years I figured I would put out my 10 ten moments of SDCC 2017.  Would love to hear yours  :D

10 - ScreenJunkies MovieFights Panel  - super funny panel with Doug Benson we walked into after Hall H wristbands got handed out

9 - Netflix offsite - Huge stranger things fan so was pretty awesome.  They really did a great job and was very immersive.

8 - FoCC Dinner - Had a great time hanging out and meeting FoCC folks. Skipped GOT screening cause wanted to see with wife but when I got home they had already watched :)

7 - Walking Dead Panel - My favorite Friday panel and got me really pumped for the season

6 - Conan taping - We went on Thur through standby with friends and just made it. Conan is always a blast.

5 - Preview night exhibit floor - First year with PN.  Was great to be one of the first ones to see the floor and get most of my shopping done Wed night

4 - My Line Group - I can't brag enough about my line group.  We spend HOURS together throughout the con and had a great time.  Really made some great con friends.

3 - Dr Who Panel - First, got in early to make sure got seats and saw Dirk Gently panel which got me hooked on that show. Then the Who panel was great and such an emotional sendoff of Peter Capaldi

2 - Marvel Panel - Not as big as we all hoped but Thor and Black Panther cast and clips were all awesome.  Love how the room went crazy with infinity war clip.

1 - WB Panel - I am 100% a marvel guy and not DC but man does WB know how to do Hall H.  When that screen slides out and lights start it is AMAZING! Favorite  parts were Ready Player One and Jason Momoa with Chris Hartwick.

With that said my #1 SDCC thing is I got to experience all of the above with my adult son.  SDCC is our last real father/son thing we do together and I really cherish it.  While I'm making lists I will do a quick downer one  :(

Three things afterward I was sad I missed -

3 - SyFy Great Debate Panel - sounded like it was a ton of fun

2 - Parties - wasn't able to score RSVP/tickets to any parties which I would have loved

1 - Westworld offiste - With my schedule was impossible to try and line up for but sounded AMAZING

To be completely honest I can't really make a list of things that made me mad cause we had a great con and with plenty of planning and coordinating did almost everything I planned on doing.  Only complaint would be the EE line management in morning which caused me to miss out on Funko as well as other things even though I put in the time.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:14:10 PM by tsnyder »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: SDCC 2017 Top Ten list
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
Great idea, [member=5606]tsnyder[/member] !  Here are my Top 10:

10 - Mr Robot ECoin and BBQ restaurant

9 - Blade Runner 2049

8 - FoCC Breakfast Meet-Up

7 - FoCC Swag Trade/Dinner Meet-Up

6 - Buying Group #2's Meet-Up

5 - Westworld Offsite (black hat)

4 - Conan Taping (with Buying Group members)

3 - Saturday Hall H (including hanging with our line group beforehand)

2 - Friend who has attended with us for years but couldn't get away ended up showing up and surprising us :)

1 - Cosplaying as Hippolyta with my daughter as Wonder Woman (daughter made everything!)

Things I missed:

Legion offsite
Legion panel

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:01:21 PM »

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
[member=842]TardisMom[/member] Great list, we should have everyone talk to you when they ask if there stuff to do outside of the con, only 1 of your things needed a badge. That's awesome :)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »
My Top 10:

1) Conan taping - maybe the last thing I hadn't been able to do at SDCCI over the years and I finally got to go.  AMAZING time, very funny.
2) Meeting composer Michael Giacchino - this was one of those "I was wandering through the Exhibit Hall and saw he would be signing if you bought a picture disk, so I gladly dropped a few bucks for an awesome ROGUE ONE death trooper picture disk and got him to sign.  I've met him and talked to him several times, but haven't actually gotten an autograph or anything.  My 16 year old son was REALLY hyped to meet  him, and the picture disk signed by him in gold looks great hanging up in our place
3) Meeting people in line-up group - I'm usually very introverted around strangers, but this year when waiting in line I had a blast getting to know all that awesome people in our line-up/badge-buying group.  I usually burn through several books and movies on my iPad waiting in lines in the course of Con, but last year I don't think I used my iPad at all because I was getting to know people.  Sometimes Comic-Con aint about the panels or exclusives, and more about enjoying the company
4) Hanging out with my own kid - this seems maybe lame, but the older my son gets (he was 15 last summer, now 16) the more fun it is to hang out with him.  He has carefully formed and thought-out opinions about everything and now-a-days it's fun debating theories with him, dissecting movie/comic/tv/gaming stuff, etc.  As I've gotten older I really have come to cherish SDCCI week hanging out with my son.
5) Marvel Panel - Marvel always provides good times for the Comic-Con fans.  I don't think any other studio or property know how to "do" SDCCI as great, and as consistent, as Marvel Studios.  They've never NOT blown the roof off of Hall H, and I've seen every single Marvel Panel except for 1: they honestly keep getting better and better!
6) WB Panel - They always do a great job of connecting with the fans, even if some years their output is less interesting than others.  2017 saw a new BLADE RUNNER film, the Justice League sharing a stage, and a new Steven Freaking Spielberg film with the iconic director in tow to hype us up.  Their use of side-screens is a very cool, unique presentation I always appreciate.
7) Really, Saturday Hall H in totality - some years Hall H has some great panels with some 'meh' panels in the middle, but last year I thought all the panels on Sat. were great.  Stranger Things made me a) fall in love with the show all over again and b) make me realize that I would pay premium cable prices for Patton Oswalt to  have hour-long discussion with that cast (particularly the youngin's).  Westworld made me excited all over again for season 2, even if there was little info to divulge.  A really great day in Hall H
9) The Mattel Booth - Their workers were AWESOME to my 3 year old (then 2) making him feel special, and excited about the event (and gave him an awesome Cap American toy car).  IMO they really went above and beyond to make a toddler feel included in the fun (they had constant hotwheel races where the cars were either Marvel or SW inspired IIRC) and it was hard for my youngin' to get in the line with the crush of older kids.  The Mattel peeps did a good job of managing that and making my younger son now officially feel like SDCCI is the coolest place in the world because he raced hotwheels, got free little Justice League figures (he got two free ones because the worker insisted the Superman my kid got needed 'a friend to play with') & a free car.  I've seen this happen in past years with Hasbro when my older son was still elementary aged & it's always awesome to see the booth workers really understand the dynamics of making the younger kids excited and happy about their experience
10) The Art Show/Exhibit I only made it down there on Sunday but I was blown away by all of the amazing art.  I unfortunately both missed out on buying awesome art that was already purchased by others as well as not quite have enough money by the end of the week to purchase any of the other art.  This year I plan on heading over there on Thursday to see everything early. 
** HONORABLE MENTION **
Pre-buying CCI swag and Mattel stuff (or maybe it's Hasbro that does pre-orders?).  This is such an incredible thing, and it really doesn't feel like Comic-Con because of how quick and simple it is picking stuff up!

I didn't have time for any of the offsite for the first time ever; between not going to PN last year (i.e. not being able to have dedicated time just to exploring the exhibit hall) and Conan O'Brien taping (which took a LOT of time away from the actual Comic-Con on Thursday) I didn't have time for any offsite stuff.  This year with PN I can spend Wed. pm seeing everything in the Exhibit Hall and then have much more time to devote Thursday to offsite stuff.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:14:22 AM by perc2100 »

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »
Gosh-I have to dust off my brain to try and remember

10 - DH getting the Arrow/Lord Mesa exclusive statue
9 - Finding a gorgeous Teen Wolf poster on a trash can (it is framed and put up in my house)
8 - Tick offsite (Spoon!)
7 - FoCC Swag Trade/Dinner Meet-Up
6 - Legion session and pic with DH in his Legion tracksuit on the swings outside
5 - Mr Robot ECoin (I hope they do it at SXSW, or at least at SDCC again)
4 - Wednesday Night/Thursday Line up
3 - Nerd Night (thanks again [member=842]TardisMom[/member]!)
2 - Getting into the Funko Booth (thanks to the line group!!!)
1 - Funko Fundays with DH and board members

Sad I missed: The Kingsman panel, considering that I loved the movie. Also sad I missed the Salvation panel.
Ang

Offline Carlz

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
I'm loving seeing these top ten lists, its making me more excited for my first time.
[member=364]Angology[/member] I'm super jealous of your arrow statue, they looks awesome!

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:30:43 PM »
10. Getting all the freebies I wanted 
9. Geeking out with random people in line
8. Laika offsite
7. Catching up with con friends
6. Netflix offsite
5. Experiencing the hype that was the Marvel panel in Hall H
4. Conan/Game of Thrones taping
3. Getting an autographed Conan Funko
2. Meeting Conan O'Brien and taking a selfie with him
1. Taking a selfie with Colin Firth

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 09:41:49 PM »
Love this thread. When I get a moment to collect my thoughts,  I'm gonna make a post too

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
1. Legion panel. Aubrey Plaza is too adorable.

2. Kingsmen panel. The interaction on stage was just a blast.

3. WB tv lineup. Been wanting to see panels for the WB shows for years but always missed out because I'd either be in hall h when they weren't or id leave for the masquerade when they were in hall h so it was nice l finally see these panels.

4. Meeting up with comic con friends from years past. Always a great time getting together again.

I wish I had more to make a top 10 list. Missed out on a lot of hall h I was hoping to see last year.

Offline Shauni48

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »
10. Getting all the freebies I wanted 
9. Geeking out with random people in line
8. Laika offsite
7. Catching up with con friends
6. Netflix offsite
5. Experiencing the hype that was the Marvel panel in Hall H
4. Conan/Game of Thrones taping
3. Getting an autographed Conan Funko
2. Meeting Conan O'Brien and taking a selfie with him
1. Taking a selfie with Colin Firth

Did you run into Colin Firth somewhere or was the cast doing pics and signings?

Offline karli2067

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:58:56 AM »
This is (I think) my first post because I'm terrified of not being able to do it right, but I love this topic so much that I had to think of my own top ten list.

10. Having a downtown hotel room--we were on the outer edges of downtown but it still made a world of difference to us over 2016.  definitely felt more involved

9.  Getting the WB bag I wanted--this might sound little but I stress myself out over the bag pickup. not that it should matter because I end up buying what I want off ebay anyway but this time I walked up and one of my top three choices was laying face up so I made a beeline for it.  (still bought another one on ebay but at least I walked away from sails happy)

8.  Game of Thrones Experience--we spent literally all day Friday in line for this but honestly we didn't mind.  we made friends with our line neighbors and  there was a lot of entertainment to be had in the area:  a drum line, outlander men in kilts with bagpipes parading around, endless people watching.  I don't even watch game of thrones but I had fun with the things to do once we finally got inside and I love the photos they took of us

7.  Suicide Girls Blackheart Burlesque--wasn't sure what to expect but this was very fun and entertaining

6.  IT Virtual Reality Experience--I had never done a virtual reality experience before so I can't compare this to any others but I thought it was cool and it wasn't a very long line commitment

5.  Having Drinks on a Rooftop Bar--after an entire day sitting in line for the game of thrones experience we headed straight for alcohol and food. we ended up on the rooftop bar at the Solamar (not sure if I am spelling that right) fire pits, strong drinks, comfy chairs--it was great.  the cast of midnight texas were there hanging at the bar and maybe like ten other people.  it was just super chill and exactly what we needed

4.  Outlander Panel--at the time I hadn't even watched outlander yet, I went because my friend wanted to.  it made me a fan and now I am caught up and reading the books.  got to watch the season premiere episode that wouldn't be airing until September so it made it seem special

3.  Brave New Warriors Panel--Ricky Whittle, Rodrigo Santoro, Richard Rankin, Colin O'Donaghue, Christopher Meloni and David Harbour, we kind of watched this panel by accident but it was hilarious and highly entertaining, its made my "try my hardest to do" list for 2018

2.  Conan Taping--we got tickets for Wednesdays taping. it was our first time getting tickets and it was great.  it just so happened the guys from supernatural were on that day and that's my favorite show/fandom

1.  Supernatural Panel with Kansas--I was actually dreading this panel because they had mentioned something big would be happening and I felt it would be announcing the final season.  when we walked in and got free t shirts I freaked out on that because I love a free shirt and then thought maybe free shirts were what they were referring to.  Then when Kansas came out to sing Carry on my Wayward Son with the wrap around screens showing clips of the previous 12 seasons I seriously thought I had died and gone to my geek heaven lol.  I hope everyone gets the chance to experience the same thing at some point in their lives with whatever it is that makes them happy

now that I have gone through all these I am even more ready for july  :)

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »
Top in no order:
- Fandom Party with Big Boi concert
- Dr Who / Dirk Gently Hall H Panel - This was actually my first time going into Hall H
- Laika Offsite - nice to have an offsite I could visit on Tuesday before the crowds invaded.
- FoCC Swag trade - I didn't stay long, but was great to have members there help me with my tiny Funko need
- Funko Fundays
- Mr Robot Off Site / App / Scavenger Hunt - so many goodies and good times.
- Peppa Pig / PJ Masks Booth - my daughter loved this booth and they had stuff for her almost all weekend
- Hard Rock Hotel Lobby - Yeah just hanging out in the hotel lobby is a blast with so many celebs coming and going
- Rick & Morty party at the stadium
- tbd

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
off the top of my head
4 - WB autographs - I always enjoy getting autographs from the WB. Ending up getting autographs from Arrow and iZombie this year.
3 - Wynonna Earp Offsite party - this was my 1st party at SDCC, it was AWESOME!
2 - Fundays - this being my 2nd fundays, 2016 being my 1st. 2017 fundays we even better since i knew so many more funatics then the previous year. also my wife and son got to go for the 1st time and they had a blast as well.
1 - FoCC Tuesday meetup - this being my 1st FoCC meetup, it was great to finally put faces with usernames. ;)

the 1 thing im sad i missed.
- The Originals Autograph signing, not getting their autograph since this will be their last season this year. Fundays got in the way of doing their autograph signing.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
Very cool reading peoples lists and seeing what everyone did and how some crossed over.

[member=5621]karli2067[/member] Great 1st post!!  Very cool about rooftop bar, hard to get away sometimes but can definitely pay off.  Not sure if you knew or not but Parks and Cons does a WB bag trade thing on twitter during the con.  Also just if you were interested there are always a bunch of WB bags left scattered all over the ground under the tents in the morning when the EE line goes inside.

[member=3236]stl_ben[/member] Mr. Robot and Rick & Morty both almost made my list of sad I missed out on.  Both sound like a blast.

[member=380]perc2100[/member] Was awesome getting to meet you two and was so great how many cool people we had in the group.  Can't wait to catch up with everyone again this summer. 

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
Blade Runner 2049 experience
Mr. Robot offsite
Rotten Tomatoes: Your Opinion Sucks
Kingsman Happy Hour
Conan
Hall H
Meeting people.