Author Topic: The Trouble with Chris Hardwick  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
  • Liked: 139
Re: The Trouble with Chris Hardwick
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I consider myself an extremely informed citizen, thank you.  And based on my experience with this type of situation, I believe Chloe.  I've been assaulted by a famous person before and have never publicly named him due to this type of backlash.  People wouldn't believe me.  People would think I'm searching for "fame."  Neither of these things are true.  And yet I remain quiet.  So yes, I'm going to believe Chloe and I'm going to support her.  And I'm going to do so as an informed citizen who knows what it's like to be in a similar situation.  I would appreciate it if you don't imply I'm supporting her from a place of ignorance.  Thank you.

I am not discrediting your experience. That sounds awful and I'm sorry it happened to you.

However, you are not informed in this situation. Nobody is, except for Chloe Dykstra and Chris Hardwick. We currently have one personal account, with claims of evidence. I am inclined to believe her for similar reasons to yourself, but throwing your entire support behind somebody with only 50% of the information is dangerous. As of now, we are all ignorant as to the details of this situation.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »
first I believe Chloe perception of the situation. I will keep an open mind tho, when Chris H's side is published.

but as far as i can see, this is not an issue for the courts- i don't think a law was broken. Chris Hartwick is not Harvey Whinestein iow.
Keep in mind i've only read the account once- and that was pre coffee nor do I have knowledge of the law

the main issue as far as I can tell, is the massive disconnect between CH's image- as a loveable geek and his personal life.

/another hero bites the dust. is it time to give up on hero's and realize everyone is just a human being trying to get more.......
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:34:28 PM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
I am not discrediting your experience. That sounds awful and I'm sorry it happened to you.

However, you are not informed in this situation. Nobody is, except for Chloe Dykstra and Chris Hardwick. We currently have one personal account, with claims of evidence. I am inclined to believe her for similar reasons to yourself, but throwing your entire support behind somebody with only 50% of the information is dangerous. As of now, we are all ignorant as to the details of this situation.

I understand what you're saying, but there is nothing Chris can say that would fix any of what happened here.  A lot of her story is corroborated with both pictures (her eating disorder) and facts (their massive age difference and power dynamic issue isn't just speculation. It's fact).  He can say "this is a lie," which would be his word against hers. And I believe hers based on the aforementioned undeniable facts, my own personal experiences, and others who have had dealings with him backing her up.  He could say that he doesn't view what he did as abuse, which means he's WRONG.  It IS abuse.  I suppose he could also admit it, apologize, and then disappear.

Additionally, it's not a fun experience coming out against someone like this.  Nobody in their right mind would do this "for fame."  There is no benefit to her to lie about this.  And also, she published this quietly in an unlisted article on Medium.  The only reason it got out seems to be that her current partner tweeted it many hours after the publication.  She didn't push this herself.  She didn't promote the article, sell it to another outlet, or even tweet about it.  She just wanted to get it out and now it's making the rounds.  My account is also written quietly somewhere and password protected to protect myself from this very type of backlash.  So I relate to how she went about this very much and it feels very real to me.

Yes, some people lie.  It looks like in retrospect that George Takei's accuser was lying.  In that situation, tons of people came to George's defense.  People who KNEW him.  In this case, people who know Chris are saying "yep, this seems legit."  It's such a different scenario.

No, I was not in the room when any of this happened, but my own experiences, the fact that there's information presented that can't be argued against, and that others who have had dealings with Hardwick backing her up make me feel this is absolutely genuine.  I'm not uninformed. I'm not ignorant.  I'm very firm with my support of Chloe.

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
I will repeat that I am inclined to believe Chloe in this case, due to a variety of reasons (Lack of response from Chris Hardwick, years of circumstantial evidence from his audience, etc.).

However, you seem to be taking offense to me using the terms uninformed and ignorant. I am not using them as an insult, and I am implying these terms to myself as well. I apologize if I came off as antagonistic for using those terms, that was definitely not my intention.

I'm also in agreement that no matter the content of Chris Hardwick's response, it would most likely be insufficient. From what I've research I've done this afternoon, and my experiences with him as a listener over the years, this seems to line up with the darker side of his personality.

As somebody with a professional background in corporate research and collegiate debate, though, I really do try to take a neutral perspective until as many facts are available as possible. It may make me seem dispassionate and unsupportive in instances like this, but I believe it eventually leads to the best outcomes. I have numerous friends who have experienced emotional and personal abuse, so I empathize and I apologize if I come off as dismissive.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Nerdist just tweeted

2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 01:12:57 PM »
This is making its way around the major trades - EW, Hollywood Reporter, etc.

Not a ‘good news’ day at all.

The Nerdist tweet is commendable with the inclusion of hotline numbers. That is a responsible step IMO considering the situation.

Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 01:16:32 PM »
This may be TMI or too personal but I believe that is how our views and perceptions (and judgements) are formed ... from our personal own experience. I believe I've shared I am going through a divorce and it has been contentious and difficult. I have now "experienced" the "system" (legal and public) to a degree and I can share it's been incredibly unfair, unforgiving and more importantly unvetted, especially as the male. Certain processes and decisions are given the benefit to the female. The male typically has to prove or disprove. It's been eye opening. So before my experience I would have been, actually was, just like most of us here and believed/judged and been totally sympathetic and empathetic to Chloe. 1000% However after what I have experienced now, I can not because I've seen how the "system" goes and works. I'm not believing or judging or siding with Chris or Chloe TODAY. I will allow and be open to hearing from both sides and after everything is vetted then will take a position.

I'm not trying to influence anyone per se but I am sharing my experience that has grown me to a place where I do not make a judgement on matters like this until all the info is out and vetted. I've lived the unfairness and very real consequences when you don't. I'm sure any one who has gone through a situation similar would see it this way too.   
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »
However, you seem to be taking offense to me using the terms uninformed and ignorant. I am not using them as an insult, and I am implying these terms to myself as well. I apologize if I came off as antagonistic for using those terms, that was definitely not my intention.

Yes, it's the wording.  I appreciate the clarification.  This is a very sensitive topic so it's easy to read hostility into certain phrasing and word usage.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 02:36:02 PM »
"Innocent until proven guilty" is for the courts, not for personal opinion.  Or even PUBLIC opinion.  Unless you are on a jury or are a judge, there is no obligation to be presume innocence. 

Even in the courts, someone can be found not guilty and still lose in public opinion.  O.J. Simpson comes to mind.

This situation reinforces with me once again that no matter how much you admire a person's work, you just don't know them.  You know their work.  Not them.

Too often, I see fans declare a celebrity "genuine" or a "good guy" just because they said something nice while signing their autograph or because they do charity.  A 5 second encounter doesn't mean you know a person.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:48:03 PM by dkd »

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »
Even in the courts, someone can be found not guilty and still lose in public opinion.  O.J. Simpson comes to mind.

This situation reinforces with me once again that no matter how much you admire a person's work, you just don't know them.  You know their work.  Not them.

Too often, I see fans declare a celebrity "genuine" or a "good guy" just because they said something nice while signing their autograph or because they do charity.  A 5 second encounter doesn't mean you know a person.

I seriously say this all the time in my other fandoms - fans like to think they 'know' celebrities from various interactions or stories, but it's exactly as you say - we don't know these people and we will most likely never know them, we only know what is the image put on display. It's probably a mix of we like to believe that we fans chose good people to like (so we cheer on when they do good work or charity work, etc.) and probably, a little of we don't want to be wrong that we put our faith in the wrong people.

But your tiny encounter was a millisecond in their day and sometimes you catch them on a good day or not to cause offense, they're getting paid to put on a smile for you. Sometimes, I've learned that you can separate the work from the crappy person behind it, but in some cases, I've not liked the work anymore because of how serious the offense was.

In this day and age of #metoo, victim shaming/blaming is more often a real thing than the public being too quick to jump on the bandwagon to wrongfully accuse. Look at how many celebs (from actors to politicans) have fallen from grace and there are fans that still defend those folks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:14:41 AM by indiglow »

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »
I would agree her account may be hearsay and we don't know both sides of the story. But I lean heavily on the side of believing her due to age gap. Why didn't he find a girl his own age if he's such a good guy?

I speculate she was young and not confident enough to walk away from a bad situation. Then like she says, she's entrenched and found it hard to get his hooks out. But he was mature and experienced enough to know what he is doing. My .02 cents

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 07:57:48 PM »
Also Chloe never named him in her piece, and seems ready to drop some hard evidence if he tries to sue her for slander which again may be tough because she didn't name names. The stories from past colleagues and fans that are coming out in light of this is very disappointing. Chris Hardwick was #careergoals for me, but now I've unsubscribed from anything that was associated with him.  #istandwithchloe

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »
Interesting response.  He denies sexual abuse but not the emotional abuse.  And he accuses her of cheating on him.  Not sure that's the best way for him to fight back.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
[member=8008]Nyjin[/member] [member=842]TardisMom[/member]  have you seen his full statement posted somewhere? I only see articles written saying he released a statement and quoting the statement but can't find the full statement itself
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged