Author Topic: Backpack Recommendations  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
Backpack Recommendations
« on: June 19, 2018, 01:28:45 AM »
For several years years, I've alternated between You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and Swissgear (can't find a pic of the exact model, but they all pretty much look the same) backpacks, for work/trips/SDCC. However, both have been showing their age, so I'm looking to get a replacement before SDCC.

Personally, for SDCC, as you can tell, I lean/don't mind one that's sturdy/heavy with more storage space, since it'll need to hold my laptop and whatnot the other 360 days of the year, and padded straps are never a bad thing.

For anyone looking into a lighter option, I will recommend this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, which I use whenever I don't need to lug around a laptop or need room for swag/merch 8). I use it when going to the park, day hikes, baseball games, etc. for when I just need some essentials.

I know there was an old thread a couple years ago in the Off-Topic section - so feel free to merge if that's appropriate - but I was hoping to do a 2018 crowdsource of recommendations just like the footwear thread, whether you use a heavy or a light backpack. Thanks!
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
Re: Backpack Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:44:08 AM »
I use a 5.11 backpack. Lots of padding and pockets. Got some grimlocks to put on the molle webbing to attach a poster tube to the side and a portable chair to the bottom if needed. Not too heavy on its own but can get there when grabbing swag since there's so much room to put stuff in.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:13:13 PM »

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 05:40:57 AM »
I've been a mobile computer tech and system administrator all my life. Best backpacks I've ever owned have Ogio's.  They are not cheap but they hold up really well. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 05:49:14 AM »
I've been a mobile computer tech and system administrator all my life. Best backpacks I've ever owned have Ogio's.  They are not cheap but they hold up really well. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Specifically the Renegade

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline cire_raeb

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 06:28:52 AM »
I use a 5.11 backpack. Lots of padding and pockets. Got some grimlocks to put on the molle webbing to attach a poster tube to the side and a portable chair to the bottom if needed. Not too heavy on its own but can get there when grabbing swag since there's so much room to put stuff in.

Or run with a 5.11 Covrt 18 to better blend in.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
Not a backpack, but I’ve been very happy with the Thinkgeek Con Bag of Holding.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:52:49 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
I've been using an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for 10 years and it's done me well.  I've taken that backpack through Europe and Asia and 6 San Diego Comic-Cons.  I left it at home one year and tried a shoulder bag (the Bag of Holding from ThinkGeek).  I'm never doing an over the shoulder bag again. I was in so much pain afterwords. 

That said, the React isn't the BEST bag in the world.  It's relatively small and fills up fast.  But somehow I survived a month in Europe with just that and my purse so... your mileage may vary.  It has loads of pockets and hasn't worn out despite a decade of heavy usage.

Offline cire_raeb

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »
I've been using an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for 10 years and it's done me well.  I've taken that backpack through Europe and Asia and 6 San Diego Comic-Cons.  I left it at home one year and tried a shoulder bag (the Bag of Holding from ThinkGeek).  I'm never doing an over the shoulder bag again. I was in so much pain afterwords. 

That said, the React isn't the BEST bag in the world.  It's relatively small and fills up fast.  But somehow I survived a month in Europe with just that and my purse so... your mileage may vary.  It has loads of pockets and hasn't worn out despite a decade of heavy usage.

Check out the GORUCK GR series as  heavy usage, durable backpacks for travel and everyday carry.  Made in America.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:48:16 PM by cire_raeb »

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 10:29:03 AM »
I just picked up a north face vault. see how that goes
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged